Passport ?

lasefton

We have decided to get our passports for our cruise . Now do you take them with us when we get off the ship ? We will be going to Costa maya , Cozumel , and Roatan. Horror stories about people missing the ship. Do I copy them and take the copy ? Wouldn't want them to be stolen. We will try not to miss the ship :eek: This is our first cruise so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No. Leave them in the safe. Make a copy and take that with you. To get on and off the ship you need your ship card and your ID.

If for some reason you miss the ship. The cruise line will get your passports out of the safe and leave them at the port or you.

The answer will be split down the middle. We take our PP off the ship and if I am in the water I place the PP in a zip tight plastic bag and that goes in a water tight case that has a draw string around my neck.

I always take our passports with us along with an emergency cc. Never ever had an issue about missing a ship, but I am a lot more comfortable knowing that I have travel docs and a means to catch up to the ship if that ever happened. Also, govn't id is required at nearly every port when re-entering the secured area to board the ship, so why not keep it simple and use the passport for this vs. two forms of id for everyone in the traveling party.

Sure, passports and id's can be replaced if lost/stolen, but I just find it simpler to keep the originals with me and copies elsewhere - I know others have a different opinion - just a preference on my part I guess.

Most times we havent been asked to take them. The ship did say we have to take them in Russia, and one port in Italy. Russia because they are very strict, and Italy because the port we were in was a very commercial shipping port that required ID to get back into. Our van was stopped at the gate and we had to show our passports to the guard along with a form we had to fill out saying we were with the tour group the whole time.

The ship will always tell you if you should bring it or not, and for what reason.

We always take them off the ship with us, although they are seldom needed. However, in an emergency, medical or whatever, I would want mine. We did on some excursion once have the tour bus stopped and all passengers had to show passports. Yes...or no....your choice really. And I do carry a copy of them also when traveling.

We have decided to get our passports for our cruise . Now do you take them with us when we get off the ship ? We will be going to Costa maya , Cozumel , and Roatan. Horror stories about people missing the ship. Do I copy them and take the copy ? Wouldn't want them to be stolen. We will try not to miss the ship :eek: This is our first cruise so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm am so glad I decided to get our passports . I got all the things together and went to the post office. I had my birth cert. I have used for everything . Guess what it's not the one they need. It is from the hosp. But it has a gold seal on it WRONG you can't use it . I can see I would have been standing on the dock as my ship pulled away come jan. So next step go 100 miles next week and get the one I need. Oh my god paper work !