Not really sure

kmarie10531

So I'm not quite new to photography but I'm starting to use a little bit more bells an whistles than before . I got a kit with filters and wide angle lenses and such . But the end of the lens pen that's like a marker , what do you do with that ?? . I do have a Nikon D3000

I do love photography but I don't want to be that person that keeps fiddling with her camera to find the perfect setting to take a picture . I also hate using the flash that's on the camera anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive external flash ?? And also any other tips you are willing to share

So I'm not quite new to photography but I'm starting to use a little bit more bells an whistles than before . I got a kit with filters and wide angle lenses and such . But the end of the lens pen that's like a marker , what do you do with that ?? . I do have a Nikon D3000

The lens pen is for cleaning lenses or the sensor. I would highly recommend leaving the sensor alone and letting the pros handle any dust issues there. I'd also recommend that you build a lens cleaning kit and (someday down the line) a sensor cleaning kit, and NEVER mixing the tools between the two kits.

How to clean a lens: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods

How to clean the sensor:

I do love photography but I don't want to be that person that keeps fiddling with her camera to find the perfect setting to take a picture . I also hate using the flash that's on the camera anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive external flash ?? And also any other tips you are willing to share

You're best to go with the same brand as your camera, and I'd recommend the midrange model. I think that'd be the SB-700 in the Nikon world. It's certainly more expensive than the entry-level model, but usually you get a lot more flexibility with raising/rotating the flash head, which can vastly improve the results of your photography. For example, if you're in a room with white ceilings, aim the flash up (straight up), and now the light will bounce off the ceiling and "fall down upon" your subjects. That's a much more realistic angle of light than if you were to chat with someone while shining a big Maglite into their eyes.

Thanks so much !! I've taken a class too but I've forgot most of the information haha . The next cruise I'm going on I'm determined to get some really good shots compared to the ones I got last time .

Joel Sartore of National Geographic has a terrific series of lectures for The Teaching Company with pictures galore! He just came out with a series dedicated to travel photography since the first series.

But the first series is pretty inclusive - soup to nuts, so to speak.

If you're willing to gamble - like I did - I got an off brand flash off eBay for $35.00 with the TTL capabilities, zoom, pivot, bounce head, etc.

2 years of light use (hey - that's a pun!) later it's still hanging tough and I definitely got my money's worth.

It sure makes the photographs better - but I also know one good hard knock into a door jamb or railing and that shoe will bust clean off.

You get what you pay for, just my .02 experience.

EDIT: I think the most overlooked, but easiest shot - is people with sunsets behind them. Using your program for fill flash or backlit scenes, it lights their faces up nice while still getting the colors of the sunset.

Edited by shootr

lie that camera commercial, wasting time snapping a pic....:p

snap and go, digital film is great...

with a gingerly touch you use the pen tip, rub it hard you may ruin your lens

This may sound stupid but is the pen tip supposed to be dark when you press it down ?? I opened up the cap and it got on my finger and it was like a black smudge

This may sound stupid but is the pen tip supposed to be dark when you press it down ?? I opened up the cap and it got on my finger and it was like a black smudge

It is a carbon compound that is designed specifically to clean coated glass. You just hold the tip flat against the lens surface and lightly wipe the whole area. Be sure to use the brush end to dust the lens first so you don't grind grit into the surface of the lens with the swab end.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Lens pens are pretty amazing. The tip is actually carbon black (soot), but they work amazingly well.

I use both lens pens and a wet system for cleaning lenses - depending on how dirty they get.

In addition to the lens pen, the wet system I use is "Lens Cleanse". It is actually a two step wet/dry process. You get two towelettes in the package. One towelette is moistened, which cleans the lens, and the second toweletty is dry, which polishes the lens.

They are a buck a pack - which will clean 2-3 lenses, or ten bucks for a 12 pack (which is how I buy them).

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/hoodman-lens-cleanse-12-pack.html