La Romana, Dominican Republic

sabrefan

Booked to Oceania Riviera for February 22, 2014 cruise. One port is La Romana, Dominican Republic. Has anyone done the Chavon River Cruise? This same tour also visits Altos de Chavon which sits on land above the river.

Booked to Oceania Riviera for February 22, 2014 cruise. One port is La Romana, Dominican Republic. Has anyone done the Chavon River Cruise? This same tour also visits Altos de Chavon which sits on land above the river.

Is this a private tour or ships tour. I am on Riviera in Jan'14 visiting this port but have not seen this river cruise. advertised (could have missed it-lol) Could you post here where you found it please. Thanks in advance. Rhonda:)

Do not miss the shopping area in Casa del Campo. This is a beautiful use of old stone edifices that house small individual shops that feature art and craft student goods. These items are a world apart from the typical tourist souvenirs. The view from the top of the hill where the buildings are located is beautiful. We just paid a small amount to take the shuttle up and down the hill. This area remains a favorite memory of the Dominican Republic!

I remember laughing when I saw that the vendors in the town square bazaar were selling coffee at $12 per bag. I walked to a local grocery and the exact same bag was less than $3.00.

Do not miss the shopping area in Casa del Campo. This is a beautiful use of old stone edifices that house small individual shops that feature art and craft student goods. These items are a world apart from the typical tourist souvenirs. The view from the top of the hill where the buildings are located is beautiful. We just paid a small amount to take the shuttle up and down the hill. This area remains a favorite memory of the Dominican Republic!

I remember laughing when I saw that the vendors in the town square bazaar were selling coffee at $12 per bag. I walked to a local grocery and the exact same bag was less than $3.00.

Thanks for the information, we will be there in December.

Does anyone know if Americans and Canadians need a visa?

If so, do we need to get them in advance in our home countiry, or does O. handle that for you on the ship?

Also, some info I picked up this week show the Domminican Republic to be an area where anti-malarial meds are needed. Any know anything about this?

I will also post on the Dom Rep. boards if need be. Thanks.

Does anyone know if Americans and Canadians need a visa?

If so, do we need to get them in advance in our home countiry, or does O. handle that for you on the ship?

Also, some info I picked up this week show the Domminican Republic to be an area where anti-malarial meds are needed. Any know anything about this?

I will also post on the Dom Rep. boards if need be. Thanks.

Unless it is something new since 2011 we did not have to get a VISA in advance

It could be cruise passengers are exempt for day stops or the cruise line takes care of it

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/dominican-republic

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html

I would consult your doctor

Take some bug repellant with DEET

Looking at my invoice for our Jan cruise re VISAS

At this time the following countries require visas for US and Canadian citizens:

Australia, Bahrain, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Mozambique, Qatar, Russia, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Turkey (only when voyage begins or ends), and Vietnam.

Edited by LHT28

I would just use an DEET based insect repellant. Mosquito borne disease is a problem on Hispaniola but primarily in Haiti. The DR does have malaria, dengue, and filariasis but generally is shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't venture off the beaten path. The best thing is to check http://www.cdc.gov for recommendations.