Chilkott Charters or White Pass & Yukon Railroad

murphy4

I would greatly appreciate someone clearing this up for me. I have been on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad site and also in touch with chilkott Charters. I am interested in doing the Bennett Scenic Journey as I understand that going as far as possible is better.

now the question. there is absolutely NO price difference that I can see between the above 2 companies. everything I read on CC says to book independently which I usually do. What is the advantage or disadvantage to booking with either of the above companies?

Thanks very much for any and all advice.

With the Lake Bennett train- you have to have a shuttle in the other direction. Chilkoot Charters is a well run, long time family business that consistently offers great tours with highly experienced guides. You would have to have this as well with the White Pass RR, who I believe are contracted with M&M tours? This company has only been know ofin the last few years. People do have good reports using them.

UP to you who you choose.

I was debating between these two and Dyea Dave as well. In the end, I decided to rent a car, download Murray's guide (which is fabulous!), and go on our own. We have over 12 hours in port and I want the freedom to stop, hike, and eat when and where I want. We will visit all the scenic places, Carcross, Emerald Lake, and Bennett Lake, plus we'd like to get in a hike or 2...maybe see the puppies...

I was debating between these two and Dyea Dave as well. In the end, I decided to rent a car, download Murray's guide (which is fabulous!), and go on our own. We have over 12 hours in port and I want the freedom to stop, hike, and eat when and where I want. We will visit all the scenic places, Carcross, Emerald Lake, and Bennett Lake, plus we'd like to get in a hike or 2...maybe see the puppies...

that sounds like a good option also, from what I read it seems like a lot of people say that the train is a huge part of the trip and the "thing" to do.

that sounds like a good option also, from what I read it seems like a lot of people say that the train is a huge part of the trip and the "thing" to do.

Very true...for most people. Dh and I commuted from our suburban town to Boston via train - 1.25 hours each way - every day for several years. These days, the thought of 4+ hours on a train makes me twitchy... :)

Very true...for most people. Dh and I commuted from our suburban town to Boston via train - 1.25 hours each way - every day for several years. These days, the thought of 4+ hours on a train makes me twitchy... :)

Yes...but doubt you had the amazing scenery that Alaska will give you on a train ride there :)

Yes...but doubt you had the amazing scenery that Alaska will give you on a train ride there :)

This is the whole point. :) The scenery on the White Pass RR is superior to the Klondike Highway- despite, plenty of "reports" claiming it's the same- absolutely not. There is only a couple miles of common views in the 20+ miles. But the "claim" sounds good.

There are multiple choices to make- ALL great options. Depends on the person, I am a clear advocate of looking carefully at tour descriptions and deciding for yourself. BUT there are also people who, will just book the common tours, because they feel somehow they should take them. These can be some of the people, who report the train is "boring" etc. WHAT a waste of time and money. I get emails all the time- asking for tour plans they should take.

Depends how you want to take advantage of your trip, I suppose.

This is the whole point. :) The scenery on the White Pass RR is superior to the Klondike Highway- despite, plenty of "reports" claiming it's the same- absolutely not. There is only a couple miles of common views in the 20+ miles. But the "claim" sounds good.

There are multiple choices to make- ALL great options. Depends on the person, I am a clear advocate of looking carefully at tour descriptions and deciding for yourself. BUT there are also people who, will just book the common tours, because they feel somehow they should take them. These can be some of the people, who report the train is "boring" etc. WHAT a waste of time and money. I get emails all the time- asking for tour plans they should take.

Depends how you want to take advantage of your trip, I suppose.

BQ: My last trip to Alaska was May 21, couple of yrs. ago. I love the WP b/c of the snow and going in May, it really felt like alaska, snow and all. I'm taking my family next yr. (I've written in a few post back) and didn't know if we should still go at the end of may, or early june (not much difference?) or July to see more animals? Plus, what month is good for Hubbard?

BQ: My last trip to Alaska was May 21, couple of yrs. ago. I love the WP b/c of the snow and going in May, it really felt like alaska, snow and all. I'm taking my family next yr. (I've written in a few post back) and didn't know if we should still go at the end of may, or early june (not much difference?) or July to see more animals? Plus, what month is good for Hubbard?

The snow, can go into the beginning of June, but would be less, and maybe none.

What "animals"? There are plenty of animals to be seen in May and June- depending what you invest your time in seeing, and where you are. I will assume you are only considering the inside passage, and want one of the bear tours?

I used Chilkoot in 2012 for the Lake Bennett Scenic tour and loved every minute of it. I know that they have the same price as the RR - I was not sure who the RR contracted with and was afraid of being on a larger bus.

Chilkoot is run by a local family and their driver provided a wonderful commentary and history of the area.

As for the train ride - you will never see Lake Bennett from the HY the RR is the only way - also the town of Bennett is also only accessible from the RR - plus the meal is great :D

Riding a train to work everyday and riding the WP&Y RR are two different things.

does anyone know about how much the train/bus 7.5 hr. would cost, I tried looking on chilkoot website, but can't find it.

I got this from them via email. For other excursions, just email them.

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $179.00 Adult $119.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train – 1 ¾ hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15 Minute Dogcart Ride (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $211.00 Adult $151.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train – 1 ¾ hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

We really enjoy Chilkoot when we took their tour several years ago. We were able to pull over in places where the large tour buses couldn't to see special scenic spots and enjoyed the lunch break/dog viewing (particularly the snuggling'o'the'pups) and then the train ride back. Aside from the views, there was something special about being on the train as it gave us a much better understanding of what a staggering achievement it represented. We're traveling with pals next summer and will be doing this tour again!

thanks for all the replies, I am going to book chilkoot, the day we are there is the day that we actually take the bus up and the train down. that still gives us 2-3 hours to spend in Skagway after the excursion.

We took the bus up & the train back when we went with Chilkoot in August. The best pics we took from our whole trip were from that day! It was breathtaking!

232323232%7Ffp43849%3Enu%3D38%3A6%3E5%3A7%3E783%3E29975%3A7874233ot1lsi

thanks for all the replies, I am going to book chilkoot, the day we are there is the day that we actually take the bus up and the train down. that still gives us 2-3 hours to spend in Skagway after the excursion.

Exactly what we did this past May and ended up being very glad we did this option (morning bus up train down 3 1/2 hr. total trip))...When we got off the train the huge crowd waiting at the station was overwhelming and so glad we weren't part of that...Besides the fact that there ended up being problems with the afternoon train ride and our ship RCI Radiance ended up having to wait for those passengers that booked it through the cruiseline (which of course included those that didn't)...Sorry for those that had this amazing excursion sidetracked.:eek:

Ok, you've convinced me to take the train. Now to convince dh...

Just a comment- I don't convince anyone. :) If someone isn't interested- see you later. :) With the cost of excursions, I find it difficult for people to just go along. And especially if there are other interests, consider splitting up.

I would greatly appreciate someone clearing this up for me. I have been on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad site and also in touch with chilkott Charters. I am interested in doing the Bennett Scenic Journey as I understand that going as far as possible is better.

now the question. there is absolutely NO price difference that I can see between the above 2 companies. everything I read on CC says to book independently which I usually do. What is the advantage or disadvantage to booking with either of the above companies?

Thanks very much for any and all advice.

Check the bus sizes of the two companies.