Looks like...........

shsdawg

I looks like I will be doing a Cunard Cruise with family from London to Rome next summer. Most of my cruising has been on HAL. I like the look of Cunard but one question: Will a dark suit as opposed to a tux feel out of place on formal nights for a male? I'm not really that fussed about dress personally but I don't want to offend.

Edited by shsdawg

"What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Edited by Salacia

I looks like I will be doing a Cunard Cruise with family from London to Rome next summer. Most of my cruising has been on HAL. I like the look of Cunard but one question: Will a dark suit as opposed to a tux feel out of place on formal nights for a male? I'm not really that fussed about dress personally but I don't want to offend.

It will be fine.

Trust the Capn. Go with the dark suit - and a tie, of course!

David, we talk about sailing into Athens, when really we mean Piraeus. We talk about Rome, when really it's Civitavecchia. I think we can therefore talk about sailing from London in the same way, when really we mean Southampton.

The Port of London site boasts that last year London welcomed over 50 cruise ships. Hmm, one a week? I would not see that as the major terminal for London!

I didn't say that it was a major terminal, just that it does have it's own cruise terminal unlike Athens & Rome.

It hardly matters in the grand scheme of things but the OP needs to know that he will have to travel some distance from London to get to his ship.

Have a great time shsdawg, I have sailed on the Eurodam once and enjoyed it very much.

Cunard is more formal but I'm sure you won't feel out of place in your dark suit.

Edited by hattie the cattie

"What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

The children always look fab on formal nights. I remember one toddler also dressed his teddy up.

Your cruise will be Southampton to Rome.

Cunard doesn't sail from London. Not yet!,

David

I've sailed from Southampton before. I do know where the port is and how to get there from London. Thanks everyone on the dress stuff.

Edited by shsdawg

David, we talk about sailing into Athens, when really we mean Piraeus. We talk about Rome, when really it's Civitavecchia. I think we can therefore talk about sailing from London in the same way, when really we mean Southampton.

London is a port in its own right. The two cities you highlight are landlocked with no port facilities. London is a port with access to the sea

Southampton is no more the port for London than it is for any other UK city.

Would you term Brooklyn the port for Washington DC?

David

Time to lock this thread since the OP's question has been answered.

Quite right of course, lock it right now....despite others wishing to have an input.

Formal is formal.....well it used to be on Cunard...

Best, Judy

A dark suit is perfectly fine. Its what I am wearing next year.

Welcome to Cunard. I also like HAL too.

How similar is HAL to Cunard in your opinion & which ships do you like the most? since Cunard has mostly abandoned the Caribbean, we're looking to other lines & I feel HAL might be a better fit.

So why did you say you were sailing from London?

David.

Because London is one of my favorite places on the planet and I'm getting to spend two nights (I wish it was more, WAY more) there prior to the cruise. It will be THE highlight of the trip for me. I was aware it sailed from Southampton, just as I was aware that the cruise doesn't end in Rome itself. I'd love to have a a day or two in Southampton too. In fact I would be happy to spend the entire time in the UK. That just isn't possible. This is a perfectly silly argument to me, enough already. All I wanted to know was if a dark suit would be ok on formal night. Thanks for those who answered that.

Edited by shsdawg