South Water Caye Belize

MJC

Has anyone snorkeled at South Water Caye? We will have to choose between it and Sergeant's Caye. Anyone have any info they can share about either location? We are specifically choosing Belize as a port because of the snorkeling, we LOVE to snorkel.

Has anyone snorkeled at South Water Caye? We will have to choose between it and Sergeant's Caye. Anyone have any info they can share about either location? We are specifically choosing Belize as a port because of the snorkeling, we LOVE to snorkel.

I haven't heard of Sou9th Water Caye before. Is this an independent tour or a cruise ship excusion? I'd like to learn more!

It's one of the Princess excursions. All I've been able to find out about it is that it is in a marine preserve. It is closer to Placencia than to Belize City. Don't know how good the snorkeling is, though, which is what is most important to us.

• 2 weeks later...
Also looking for information to make the same choice (also on a Princess cruise.) Thanks in advance if anyone has any info.

I saw your post on the Princess board, too. I would love to hear from someone who has done the excursion. Specifically, how good is the snorkeling, and what is story about boat time vs. snorkel time. I'd like an excursion that gives us longer than an hour in the water!

Hi,

We will be taking a family cruise on the Carnival Dream in 2014 and they just added Water Caye, Belize as an excursion that looks quite interesting! There are unfortunately no real reviews that I've seen from the perspective of a cruise passenger excursion. If anyone has any feedback on this port/excursion that would be wonderful thank you. I did find a few references below about the island itself, its for sale for only $9Million dollars in case anyone was interested, lol

http://travel.cnn.com/belize-gallery-7-stunning-islands-563778

http://lilylilyphotography.com/2012/02/visiting-dangriga-south-water-caye-belize/

http://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and-central-america/belize/the-cayes-and-atolls/south-water-caye/

Thanks for your feedback!

Tanya :)

As the crow flies South Water Caye is about 45-50 miles south of Belize City just below Tobacca Caye if you're searching on a map. Many people visiting Dangriga can head there in a 1/2 hour water taxi ride. It's right on the reef and has nice white sand beaches. There are a couple of resorts on the caye but otherwise facilities are somewhat limited as I understand it. I'd venture it's a long day water trip in a tender/water taxi type boat.

Edited by crewsweeper

There is a "Water Caye" it's about 10-12 miles southeast of the port. Very small caye. Was or is for sale.

http://www.caribbeanislandbrokers.com/Water-Caye-Resort-Belize/

Is this the same island as shown in pictures on Carnival's website? Link above doesn't show a very nice swimming beach (some kind of rock barrier or something). But on Carnival site it just shows sand.

Has anyone been to Water Caye?

There is a "Water Caye" it's about 10-12 miles southeast of the port. Very small caye. Was or is for sale.

http://www.caribbeanislandbrokers.com/Water-Caye-Resort-Belize/

Thank you so much for posting this. I was thinking that the boat ride to SWC must be very, very long, even by "very fast powerboat," so I'm relieved to find that I was mistaken in the location of the excursion.

Still waiting for a first-hand report of the snorkeling there. Anyone? It looks lovely, so I hope it's a good spot!

• 4 weeks later...

I scuba dived off SWC on Oct 31st of this year. It was very pretty. Not sure how the snorkeling is - it would have to be in a shallower area. There's an area called The Aquarium that may be where the snorkelers go. I did not see much of anything on the island itself - picnic tables, outhouses, and if you climb a long steep staircase you can see the red footed boobys nesting in the tops of trees.

We just back 12/22 from the NCL Dawn and we went to Water Caye as part of NCL's beach break. If you're looking just for a beach day and lounging this may be perfect for you. If you're looking to go snorkeling, there's absolutely NOTHING to see! we took our own equipment and didn't see any fish, Plus they won't let you go out past the boat dock. The water is ok for swimming but bottom is mushy, not sandy. They are doing some construction there, and have certain areas roped off, so you can only stay in the beach area, no wandering.