Upgrade Question

vcdarty

When and if an upgrade should happen, does Cunard's fairy prefer to notify by e-mail or Voyage Personalizer or both? Someone posted here recently that first-timers and/or passengers relatively new to Cunard may receive preference. Comments, please?

J

Hi there, as new cruisers last year we had a super upgrade on our first cruise, so we were perhaps an example of newcomers getting upgrades, but my Mom cruised for the first time this year and had no upgrade. If you get an upgrade you will receive an emailed Upgrade Notice, not sure if VP reflects this any earlier as I never noticed.

Fingers crossed for you.

Pamela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

When and if an upgrade should happen, does Cunard's fairy prefer to notify by e-mail or Voyage Personalizer or both? Someone posted here recently that first-timers and/or passengers relatively new to Cunard may receive preference. Comments, please?

J

As I have mentioned in the past on this forum, we have been upgraded at embarkation.

We have also been Diamond since Cunard instituted that category, so not new to Cunard at that time.

I booked a cruise about a week ago, on a Getaway (discounted) fare. The cruise was to leave about 2 weeks from my booking date. My first notification from Cunard just mentioned a guaranty stateroom. Within 3 days I received an email with my room number and I see that it is an upgrade. That's the normal pattern for me.

In July this year, shortly before our QM2 cruise was to depart New York, a lady from Cunard phoned to ask if we would be interested in paying $200 pp more for a PG to QG upgrade. That worked out to just under $10/day each so we agreed. We've been upgraded before, including on our very first QM2 cruise in 2004, but this was the first time we were asked to pay for an upgrade. All in all, it was a bargain.

We don't count on upgrades. We have NEVER received an upgrade!

We usually just book a cabin we will be happy with. Fourteen cruises on Princess (Never an upgrade) Four on RCI (including 2 suites)--Never an upgrade.

Cruises on Holland America (2), Carnival(2), Norwegien (2) Cunard and Various others.....Never an upgrade. Just book what will make you happy

We don't count on upgrades. We have NEVER received an upgrade!

We usually just book a cabin we will be happy with. Fourteen cruises on Princess (Never an upgrade) Four on RCI (including 2 suites)--Never an upgrade.

Cruises on Holland America (2), Carnival(2), Norwegien (2) Cunard and Various others.....Never an upgrade. Just book what will make you happy

Well, I say the Upgrade Fairy owes you one, big time! Best of luck on your next voyage! Cheers, -S.

Well, I say the Upgrade Fairy owes you one, big time! Best of luck on your next voyage! Cheers, -S.

I think the poster was saying she was happy with the chosen cabin and was not bothered about an upgrade.

We have, in the past asked not to be offered one.

Once you have been allocated the new grade you can't refuse it.

David.

I think the poster was saying she was happy with the chosen cabin and was not bothered about an upgrade.

We have, in the past asked not to be offered one.

Once you have been allocated the new grade you can't refuse it.

David.

David, I just figured anyone that didn't want an upgrade would have their booking marked "do not upgrade". If the posted did that, that would certainly explain why she NEVER received an upgrade.:)

BTW, I agree with you that it can often make sense to ask not to be upgraded. -S.

It was posted several years ago that it will annoy the Upgrade Fairy if you hope in public (or maybe even in private) for an upgrade.

We were never upgraded by Cunard until we reached the Gold level. We received two generous upgrades on Atlantic crossings as Gold level members. Since we have reached platinum there have been no upgrades.

I am about to take my second cruise at Platinum level and both of these have been upgraded from obstructed balcony to the next level. My suspicion is that as Cunard is only showing obstructed balconies on its website for Getaway fares, it wants to keep the few it has. It therefore puts us at the next level (which only shows on the Vantage fares as being empty). It's all part of its marketing hype. (In both cases I booked at the last minute. One cruise was 6 days before departure and the forthcoming cruise was 2 weeks before departure.)

Many thanks, mariners, for the helpful comments. Most appreciated and most kind. (Incidentally, I just checked VP and, much to my surprise and delight, a very nice upgrade has been posted for our December crossing.):D

J

On our last cruise, our TA called to tell us of offer to upgrade to QG and the amount was reasonable so we gladly said yes. When she phoned back, they told her the fee was being waived, perhaps because we are stockholders??? We didn't know for sure why it was done.

So that was a double pleasant surprise and we enjoyed it thoroughly

I have cruised over 30 odd years and never received an upgrade.

I have done well over two hundred nights sailing on Cunard and I am about to under take another world cruise on QE, bringing my total nights with Cunard to around 350. I have never been offered an upgrade.

I am also an Elite member on Princess Cruises and again never had an upgrade:confused: