Cost of Cruising - Then and Now

BlueJai

I was going through some old papers and found our cruise ticket from January 2004. It was our first cruise on the Sun - a 7 day western. We picked NCL specifically because of the freestyle and that cruise set the stage for vacations for many years to come!

So there are lots of threads about how cruising isn't what it used to be, how the cruise lines are nickel and diming.... and it goes on and on.

When I compare the price for a 7 day cruise back in 2004 to the 11 day we have planned in February on the Sun, the price difference is - wait for it - get ready - $2.00 MORE!!!! That's $2.00 more for 4 additional days - Incredible!

We just booked a 7 day on the Epic - B6 large balcony and it is $700.00 less than what the 7 day was in 2004!

All I can say is WOW! Yes, there are lots of opportunities for NCL to offer upgraded rooms, suites, meals in specialty restaurants, bingo, tastings.... but what can you buy today that costs less than it did 10 years ago, and have the time of your life doing it!

We love cruising, will probably never have a suite or penthouse, but that is ok. I love looking at the pictures and reviews of those who do. But for us to have a week or 2 on a cruise ship every year with a balcony - well it doesn't get much better for us!

:)

I have been on 83 cruises most in the last 20 years, but the first in 1983 in an inside cabin on the Carnivale was $775 pp. 10/20 years ago, I was paying over $1100 pp for Alaska, again in inside cabins.

Cruising has never been so cheap- and with that- sure significant cut backs. BUT this is where the public has gone since price has now become the priority. I do miss the more upscale dining- but the pay restaurants offer this most of the time. :)

Cruising is a real travel bargain- meals, lodging and transportation. Fixed.. :)

We love cruising, will probably never have a suite or penthouse, but that is ok. I love looking at the pictures and reviews of those who do. But for us to have a week or 2 on a cruise ship every year with a balcony - well it doesn't get much better for us!

:)

If you pick your cruise right, you can do it. We don't have the money that a lot of the people on here appear to have. However, we have managed to do a couple penthouses for the same price as what our balcony cruises have cost or maybe a little more. You just have to be on the right cruise and watch for the price drops. Being on some of the older/smaller ships helps too, but we love the smaller ships.

I have been on 83 cruises most in the last 20 years, but the first in 1983 in an inside cabin on the Carnivale was $775 pp. 10/20 years ago, I was paying over $1100 pp for Alaska, again in inside cabins.

Cruising has never been so cheap- and with that- sure significant cut backs. BUT this is where the public has gone since price has now become the priority. I do miss the more upscale dining- but the pay restaurants offer this most of the time. :)

Cruising is a real travel bargain- meals, lodging and transportation. Fixed.. :)

Both posters are absolutely correct IMO. One also needs to remember, when complaining about being nickeled and dimed, that well over half of 50% of the posters on these boards would not even be able to afford an inside cabin if prices had increased at a rate comparable to inflation in the real world.

Have you purchased a plane ticket lately? If you want to take a cruise originating in a European port your airfare to get there will cost you almost as much as the cruise itself. We don't realize it, but we are living in the GOLDEN age of travel right now! :D

Our ocean view on NCL Sunward II back in the early 80's for seven nights on a New Year's cruise was as expensive as a balcony is now for the same sort of cruise.

Also, New Year's cruises needed to be booked very early back then ... not as many ships and the demand was high.

LuLu

~~~~

The combination of more ships, larger ships, competition, and less luxury (some say cutbacks) have reduced costs and opened cruising up to many more people. Back then, though, cruise fares often included airfare and transfers to the ship.

Our first cruise was a 7 day Bermuda from NYC in 1982. We paid $1200 pp for an OV with a porthole. (There were no balconies then). Our recent 9 day Caribbean from NYC was considerably less for a balcony.

While I greatly prefer today's cruising, I would like an occasional dinner like the past. Those dinners were a 5 course event, particularly on formal night. It had a quality that even the upcharge restaurants today don't match.