Snorkeling issue

jennmaybe

Hubby & I love snorkeling, but he always has the same problem every time.......his snorkel mask. He has a mustache & goatee & he always has problems getting that watertight seal on his face right above his mouth.

We have bought new masks & he's even trimmed his mustache to be very short. Those didn't seem to work.

I've been doing lots of reading on Snorkel Mart & they have 2 other suggestions that he has not tried. So, I'm hoping to hear from some of you guys or gals with guys that have had this issue & that can offer some suggestions or advise if either of these will work: 1) silicone grease 2) purge valve.

Thanks!

I have used Vaseline, it works. but nothing seems to work as good as shaving.....

so.. I have just trimmed a quarter inch below my nose ,, so mask seals there.. and on the cheeks where the mask sits.

even with the trim, I still use Vaseline ... you can get very small pocket size containers that I find have enough for 4 days snorkel.

Take a nice towel to clean up .. paper towels and water aren't the best at wiping it off

also.. I have shaved it all.... LOL... which can present a problem... you get on the ship. they take a photo of you for your key card.. and you ding it on your way off the ship... and they really don't care what the picture to your face looks like.......... but getting back on! they look at your face, and your picture and FREAK OUT! if you are clean shaven! it was funny! for me as I had a entourage with me who's laughter made security feel like they were being punked!! lol... a quick wave off embarrassment with a face rub and show them the mask... and I was golden !

I try to tell them when I head out for an excursion .

That's funny! :)

I think I will just get him some Vaseline. Thanks for the tip about having a towel to wipe it off too! I never would have thought of that. I also will tell him to trim a little more right below his nose, so maybe that will help some too.

Thanks for the tips!! :)

forget about purge valve .. it won't help

I've tried the vas' approach and frankly the taste and the mess were more of a hassle than just shaving the upper lip ... it grows back fast.

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

enjoying lunch at Sunset House during a week of diving . . .

My husband has used the Vaseline for years and snorkelled for hours with few problems. Yes he does do a little trim job before departing on our trips. Just clean up the mask as it with harm the silicone on the mask if left on for long periods of time.

Thanks everyone! He said he would try the vaseline, so I bought him a small jar of it at Target. He's also going to trim his mustache down a little more to see if that will help too. I guess we'll see if this will work.;)

We needed some new snorkel gear, so we bought all new stuff and it arrived yesterday. Now, I need to start packing! We leave in 3 short weeks! :)

Oh, and I added a short note to my cruise list to take a towel with us when we get off the ship, so he can wipe all the Vaseline off afterwards. Thanks for that tip!!

Edited by jennmaybe