Electronic Cigarettes....are they allowed anywhere on the ship?

dongordon

Not to get on a soap box, but until studies have shown the effect of them- they should be treated like a regular cigarette. There isn't enough evidence out there yet. If it's just me I won't fuss about an electronic cigarette, but if my kids are around I don't care what is in it, I don't want it in my kids face.

I don't feel sorry for anyone who has to quit smoking. You have to start smoking to have to stop. It is hard and I give anyone credit for trying, but we all know it is harmful at this point so no excuses anymore. People quit after 50 years, if you want to you can.

Many of them don't look like cigarettes at all Sharon (though some do) Lots of them are metallic looking or flat black and even have different color glows to them like blue)

I saw one used recently that was shiny black and had an odd shape, almost like an old whistle. I guess fewer and fewer are actually looking like cigarettes. The vapor was disgustingly sweet...and a lot of it. On second thought, maybe it was a bong. ;)

Edited by sdmike

Not to get on a soap box, but until studies have shown the effect of them- they should be treated like a regular cigarette. There isn't enough evidence out there yet.

Since the FDA doesn't regulate them there hasn't been much scientific research on the affects. I saw an FAQ somewhere that said while cigarette smoke has around 11,000 known toxic chemicals in it, e-sigs have less than a dozen. A heck of a lot better for those trying to kick the habit, but still something I'd prefer to not breathe.

Edited by sdmike

I saw one used recently that was shiny black and had an odd shape, almost like an old whistle. I guess fewer and fewer are actually looking like cigarettes. The vapor was disgustingly sweet...and a lot of it. On second thought, maybe it was a bong. ;)

Dang! I Missed out again! :D ;)

Thing that gets me is all of the non-smoking diehards want people to stop smoking.

Yet when people make the attempt, the non-smoking folks force these people, to use their smoking cessation products, in the smoking area, which would be the worst place to force these people into. (like forcing someone on a diet that is life or death, into a room lined with candy and cakes, to eat their dietary meal.)

Makes zero sense.

Bill

I agree. I applaud anyone who is getting off of regular cigarettes and wants to use e-cigs to help do that. In my opinion, as long as they don't blow the vapor right in my face, they should be able to use them anywhere.

We had a lady smoking one in Le Bistro at the next table as I was eating my desert - vapour or not, it was not nice and offputting. When I raised it to the maitre D on leaving they said that they were still waiting for confirmation of what to do about electronic cigarettes. That was June 2013.

On our last cruise - in September there was a lady with one in a bar a couple of nights running - the bar manager very discretely went up to her and advised, without making a scene that they are classed as cigarettes and can only be used in the approved outdoor areas.

I think it will take a lot of getting used to seeing people with them indoors and it must be a hard decision for companies to decide whether to allow or not.

Those Bubble Gum Cigars used to go great with those tiny wax bottles of flavored syrup! ;)

And wax teeth!

There are specialty candy stores where you can still get all those items, including the candy cigarettes. They're a lot more disgusting than I remembered. :p

I also remember lawn darts (Jarts) and Water Wiggles too. How we managed to survive as kids is beyond me. :D

And wax teeth!

There are specialty candy stores where you can still get all those items, including the candy cigarettes. They're a lot more disgusting than I remembered. :p

I also remember lawn darts (Jarts) and Water Wiggles too. How we managed to survive as kids is beyond me. :D

The candy cigarettes, wax bottles and a lot more can be seen here:

I double dog dare any old timers (like me) to look through the slides and not get a kick out of some.

The candy cigarettes, wax bottles and a lot more can be seen here:

I double dog dare any old timers (like me) to look through the slides and not get a kick out of some.

That was wonderful! Took me right back to Merchurichrome, bobby socks and saddle shoes, and a thousand other great memories!

:D

And now for something completely different ...:cool:

What will the reaction be in the next few years when all of the States legalize

POT ? Will the cruise lines allow it when it becomes legal ?

Will Gma and Gpa be getting a contact high from the balcony next door ?

What about the buffets ? Will they have to stay open a lot longer ?

I can see it now . The entire ship roped off into quarters . You'll have the Vapes , the tobacco crowd , the Mary Jane clan and the really P.O'd clean air

or else group . This is one to ponder ... Thank God I only imbibe in wee Bourbon now and again , or so ;)

Cant we all just get along ?

P.S . Dots on paper and frozen Charleston Chew broken into pieces . What else is there .

As long as I can smoke my e-cig on my balcony I'm happy as can be..... And perhaps on a discreet outdoor walk after dinner..... ;)

This will be my first cruise NOT smoking.... And looking forward to it!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

As long as I can smoke my e-cig on my balcony I'm happy as can be..... And perhaps on a discreet outdoor walk after dinner..... ;)

This will be my first cruise NOT smoking.... And looking forward to it!!!!

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

I just got off of my 1st non-smoker cruise and it was wonderful! I vaped on my balcony and not a single person could smell it! I have been vaping for 7 months now and I'm almost done with the e-cig. I rarely use it now! Have Fun!

As the e cigs have not been fully safety tested and there are fears on whether or not they are releasing carcinogens into the air via the vapours I don't believe they should be allowed in public areas. People who choose to be healthy and not smoke shouldn't be subjected to vapours that could be harmful to their health. They have not been approved in our country until they pass all the safety tests. There is also a concern about the high levels of nicotine and chemicals used.

I agree, its been so long since I smoked I am probably more offended by the smell of smoking then normal non smokers. It amazes me I went through life never realizing that I smelled like that!

Thing is with the electronic cigs there is either no smell to the vapor, or it has a slight fruity smell depending on what flavor the liquid is. I have never had anybody describe the exhaled vapor as being offensive smelling.

First congratulations on beating the smoking habit. I am not a smoker, but does the exhaled vapor that has no smoke smell contain any other chemicals like nicotine? I have an allergy to nicotine and can become sick if exposed to a ton of second hand smoke. If there are no chemicals in the vapor I have no issues with them being used in non smoking areas. BTW my nicotine allergy kept me away from the temptations of smoking as a youth for which as an adult I am grateful.

Edited by terrydtx

I agree..I don't believe that most non-smokers can understand or totally relate to nicotine addiction. Nicotine is the only drug that acts as both a stimulant and a relaxant at the same time. For most smokers going through nicotine withdrawal is really very difficult. Not only is there the physical addiction of nicotine but there is also an equally strong psychological addiction in that smoking cigarettes go with many activities (drinking coffee or cocktails, after a meal, when stressed, talking on the phone, etc etc) Bottom line is that for most smokers quitting is hugely difficult (and a lifelong battle)

I personally have quit smoking and relapsed many times. I have gone as long as two years without one and then picked it up again for some unknown reason. Right now I am not smoking..tomorrow or next week who knows?

Finally someone who understands. Do people really think think that as a smoker we just love to make others uncomfortable, to smell of smoke no we don't. But I'm going to try to be extremely understanding of others on my cruise. But hopefully when I am having a smoke on my balcony (where it is allowed) I won't have someone yelling "I'm allergic to smoke stop!" After all I too paid my fare. :)

I agree..I don't believe that most non-smokers can understand or totally relate to nicotine addiction. Nicotine is the only drug that acts as both a stimulant and a relaxant at the same time. For most smokers going through nicotine withdrawal is really very difficult. Not only is there the physical addiction of nicotine but there is also an equally strong psychological addiction in that smoking cigarettes go with many activities (drinking coffee or cocktails, after a meal, when stressed, talking on the phone, etc etc) Bottom line is that for most smokers quitting is hugely difficult (and a lifelong battle)

I personally have quit smoking and relapsed many times. I have gone as long as two years without one and then picked it up again for some unknown reason. Right now I am not smoking..tomorrow or next week who knows?

Have to disagree with you. I think a large majority of non-smokers were former smokers and know that it can be challenging to quit. If someone wants to quit, then they quit. I'm a walking example of it. I started smoking when I was 16 and quit when I was 32 (I was smoking three packs a day since I was 25) when I got tired of coughing all the time (it is disgusting) and haven't touched a cigarette in 32 years. Was it hard, sure it took a lot of willpower, but it was well worth it. If I knew how bad I smelled, I would have quit a lot earlier. If you want to quit, it just takes willpower and the want to quit.

If someone wants to smoke e-cigarettes, it is much better than a regular cigarette in my book.

If you want to quit, it just takes willpower and the want to quit
Well, you sure make it sound simple! While I agree you need those two things, there is so much more involved! I tried many times over a 42 year span and wanted to badly, was never successful until e-cigs. Everybody is different, you can not make a general statement saying how to quit. It also came across to me as somewhat belittling to those that can not quit, I don't feel thats right either.