NCL Customer Service

sowhynot

I decided today was the day to call for my in-room stuff. Last week the computer went down as we spoke. I waited maybe 5-6 minutes for service rep to come on the line, Ellen, who efficiently took my order for the anniversary package and two bottles of wine. She explained that the bar set-up and bon voyage items are in two different parts of the order system, so she jotted down my card number so i wouldn't have to recite it twice! FYI a bottle of Beefeaters is $40 plus $3 service charge.

Barb0617

RCCL Nordic Empress 2001

CCL Legend 2003

CCL Miracle 2004

CCL Victory 2004

NCL Dawn August 2005

The big question is "Is there really any customer service in the NCL operation?" The answer is "Absolutely not." Having been a victim of NCL I can testify that they care little if any thing at all about their customers. Their philosophy is there are a million other suckers out there, so if you don't like it get off." Which is fine with my family, who will never cruise with NCL again.

The big question is "Is there really any customer service in the NCL operation?" The answer is "Absolutely not." Having been a victim of NCL I can testify that they care little if any thing at all about their customers. Their philosophy is there are a million other suckers out there, so if you don't like it get off." Which is fine with my family, who will never cruise with NCL again.
Golly, tell us exactly how you feel.LOL.

I don't think the customer service can be directed just to NCL but everywhere. There is only one mass marketed line I have not cruised: reason, as a TA I have had nothing but disasters with the customer service dept. When I was still working for a major hotel chain and a customer service manager, I would monitor my agents, which by the way were very well trained, and sometimes just cringe at what they would say or how they treated clients; other times I was amazed at how clients treated them: more often it was the client, not my agents that were rude and/or demanding. If, indeed we caught an agent giving out wrong information or not showing the proper respect they would be given a warning. 3 warnings and out the door they went. I think my point is: we kept a close eye on our agents, they were paid fairly well but still some were not fit to work in the department. The one cruise line I have had trouble with is a well respected and good line: I would never advise my clients not to cruise the line, but I would not push it either.

I understand that some people have bad experiences and that ruins their view of a business, I also understand there often are 2 sides to every story. NMNita

I respectfully disagree. And I doubt that NCL sits around hoping for the day that they go out of business because of bad customer service. It makes absolutely no sense. You may have had a bad experience with customer service. It happens. But to make a blanket statement that NCL cares little if anything about their customers is flat out wrong. If that were true, you would be calling everyone that's had a good experience with customer service a liar.

I respectfully disagree. And I doubt that NCL sits around hoping for the day that they go out of business because of bad customer service. It makes absolutely no sense. You may have had a bad experience with customer service. It happens. But to make a blanket statement that NCL cares little if anything about their customers is flat out wrong. If that were true, you would be calling everyone that's had a good experience with customer service a liar.

Thank you :)

You saved me a lot of typing. I have had some remarable sevice from NCL and its various customer service depatments. Like any company there have been a couple of bumps or less then perfect agents. Those problems were addressed to my satisfaction.

It is the same in any consumer industry. You will find the same issues on every cruisline board.

"I will will never fly - pick one (United, American, Continental, US Airways) their customer service is a NIGHTMARE they........."

I think what I would say is that customer service at NCL is very uneven. I have had the good fortune to speak to agents who seemed professional & competent on a few occasions. I have also spoken to agents who seemed at the least uninterested if not actually rude and to agents who seemed uninformed or incorrectly informed.

I also experienced what I described above with supervisiors being constantly out of the office for one reason or another. I don't take anything away from the agents who are there and who do a good job but for NCL as a whole I think there is a problem. I don't think they should be satisfied when a customer has to play phone center lottery in the hopes of reaching an agent who can handle their question or problem.

Agree that there are many good reps but service is uneven. In a post yesterday, I described some customer service problems with booking shore excursions. Despite this, I have spoken with some very good, patient, and helpful representatives at NCL over the course of the month, although 1-2 not as helpful.

Does NCL outsource any of their calls outside of the US? A few times when I have had the not so good calls I've felt like maybe I've been bounced to a totally different call center-a completely different experience. I've had this problem with some of the airlines when I get bounced to their outsourced centers.

Agree that there are many good reps but service is uneven. In a post yesterday, I described some customer service problems with booking shore excursions. Despite this, I have spoken with some very good, patient, and helpful representatives at NCL over the course of the month, although 1-2 not as helpful.

Does NCL outsource any of their calls outside of the US? A few times when I have had the not so good calls I've felt like maybe I've been bounced to a totally different call center-a completely different experience. I've had this problem with some of the airlines when I get bounced to their outsourced centers.

Well I know that they have quite a few agents who work at home & I also think I remember someone here posting about an agent who lives in Pheonix.

I've had a call in for computer software support and found out that the technical help agent was in India! Frankly, I don't care where the person is as long as they are knowledgeable and professional and speak and understand English. It does seem strange to be talking to someone from halfway around the world though and I would think it would be harder to keep control over, for the company contracting out the service.

I've had a call in for computer software support and found out that the technical help agent was in India! Frankly, I don't care where the person is as long as they are knowledgeable and professional and speak and understand English. It does seem strange to be talking to someone from halfway around the world though and I would think it would be harder to keep control over, for the company contracting out the service.

:eek: I know exactly which Comp. Support company you're talking about. I never asked, but I always thought it was weird that everyone I talked to had the same accent

For whatever it's worth, the issues raised by the OP are not unique to NCL. They seem to be pandemic to the entire mass cruise industry. We typically cruise on Princess, and generally love the service and the on-board experience. But virtually all of our dealings with their land-based personnel have been horrible enough to cause us to never want to step foot again aboard a Princess vessel.

NCL Customer Service in their Miami Office is legendary (perhaps infamous is a better word).

For the past two years, Mr. Andy Stuart, NCL's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, has been directly in charge of that department as well. You might want to drop him a line and let him know how you think he is doing.

astuart@ncl.com

Last poster is correct; get a name and report it to the supervisor; and then if the supervisor is not so great get his or her name.

NCL is not the greatest; I got one really good person and called NCL about 4 other times and got not so great service. I wish I got the name of the really good person from Phoenix; she is on the Hawaiian desk and she shines; the others were pretty poor - this is my 7th cruise.

NCL should strive for excellence in order to get repeat business.

NCL Customer Service in their Miami Office is legendary (perhaps infamous is a better word).

For the past two years, Mr. Andy Stuart, NCL's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, has been directly in charge of that department as well. You might want to drop him a line and let him know how you think he is doing.

astuart@ncl.com

Thank you! This is EXACTLY the information that I was looking for in my OP.

astuart@ncl.com

I think the agents that this thread is refering to is the Reservations agents (which handle all customer service issues & inquiries prior to sailing)- Anyways, I thought the VP of Reservations was a woman, I think GDRIES posted her name before- Suzanne Cockburn. Maybe Mr. Stuart oversees Customer/Guest Relations which deals with issues/complaint after cruising (or cancellation issues)

I just have to relate to all of you, the service I have received in the past 2 weeks from NCL> My first experience was with the latitude dept. The young lady I spoke with could not help me as the computers were down, but no one could have been any nicer. For some unknown reason we just received a letter from NCL and 2 latitude cards. We have been welcomed into the CLUB and they are so happy we cruised NCL once: the problem, we have cruised them about 7 times and certainly are not new menbers. I was asking to have our numbers murged. Then about 10 days ago I called to make a reservation for a client. I realize this is reservations and not customer service, still the agent went out of her way to try to find something that did not even exist. Just a few minutes ago I called NCL to reserve the bus from Gatwick to Dover and to request our docs be sent to our home instead of the office. Again, the service was outstanding. It appears to me NCL is working very hard to improve their image. yes, there still will be jerks out there that, one are not properly informed or two, don't give a darn, I am beginning to think they are the exception to the rule. NMNita

Thank you for your brave posting to the board. As an ex travel agent, I understand your plight completely. I'm sure you will have given valuable information to many readers. You obviously have experience and I would want to deal directly with someone like you as "Professor" obviously does. Knowing that all the planning in the world does not guarantee smooth travelling, I normally leave most details until I board and then go to the purser desk. It will be my husband and my first cruise with NCL. We've travelled on all the other major lines. My question is when is the best time to check for upgrades? Complimentary or otherwise. We are currently booked in an inside guaranty on the Dream jan 28th.

JR

I, too, have been frustrated by entirely different answers to relatively simple questions. Three different individuals ... three different responses. And one of those individuals was a very pleasant and obviously well-intentioned manager who was just as incorrect as the rest! This experience contrasts greatly with my dealings with RCCL and Princess; never any problems with those folks. From here on in, I will rely on getting the true scoop from real people in real time ... the boards are truly the best source of accurate info.

I, too, have been frustrated by entirely different answers to relatively simple questions. Three different individuals ... three different responses. And one of those individuals was a very pleasant and obviously well-intentioned manager who was just as incorrect as the rest! This experience contrasts greatly with my dealings with RCCL and Princess; never any problems with those folks. From here on in, I will rely on getting the true scoop from real people in real time ... the boards are truly the best source of accurate info.
Sorry, I would prefer not to mention names of companies or compare one with the other, but I will this time; As a TA the only company that I have had absolutely horrible service from in Princess. I could write a book about my customer sevice or lack of when dealing with them. I mention this only to show; it depends on who you get, not the company itself. Probably the best customer serice I have received has been from Carnival, of course I have had to call or write them the most also. By the way, as much as we all love these boards and depend on them, they are not always the best way to get accurate information. I am not trying to start another he said, she said war, just pointing a few things out. BTW, I don't refrain from booking Princess because of the problems I have had with them nor would I not sail them. I do admit, it would have to be a very good deal before I would, personally use them and I do not go out of my way to suggest them to my clients, but if I think there would be a good match I do not hesitate to book, I just pray I don't have problems that I have to handle. NMNita

I called to get the ship phone number for NCL Pride of America since I have elderly parents and someone may have to reach me.

Was put on hold for about 15 minutes and then she said she could not connect me to the person who would have the info, so she finally looked it up and gave it to me.

For anyone else who needs it the phone # is 1-888-677-4477; then you give the ship's name and then the cabin number and you will get through to the cabin. Was not impressed...again...

Had great response from Celebrity and Disney and certainly NCL does not compare in regards to NCL Customer Service on the phone.

I think they are not well trained. This must be a common question and they should know the answer.

I called to get the ship phone number for NCL Pride of America since I have elderly parents and someone may have to reach me.
If you had waited to get your cruise documents, you would have seen the phone number to the ship is somewhere on those. Also, if you read the back of the NCL brochures, in the FAQ, I believe this question is answered there as well. Thirdly, if you had gone to the NCL site, the information is also there. Phone number So you didn't need to spend that time on hold or even communicate with NCL customer service.

Cecilia; I knew I would have the info on my cruise docs; I still do not have them and I cruise on 8/6, but I wanted to know know to let my family know, so I would not forget to give them this info.

The point is, NCL staff should have this info very handy to them and I should not have had to wait 15 minutes to get an answer. Again, an example of poorly trained customer service; I am sure others call them with this question and they should have it close to them.

If you had waited to get your cruise documents, you would have seen the phone number to the ship is somewhere on those. Also, if you read the back of the NCL brochures, in the FAQ, I believe this question is answered there as well. Thirdly, if you had gone to the NCL site, the information is also there. Phone number So you didn't need to spend that time on hold or even communicate with NCL customer service.

Celia you just don't understand. For some people it is more important to call customer service and wait on the line for some time. Then you have something to complain about and post about on this board. Taking one minute to go to the NCL website and get the information just does not bring that same sense of satisfaction.

Archived