Help me please!! LOSING WEIGHT for December 2013 cruise!

Athena.delta

Hello,

I am a 17 year old girl going on a cruise at beginning of December, and I have less than month to lose 4 kgs! I am 51kg at the moment, 164cm tall. And.. I really don't want to feel self-conscious when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself! The staff are very nice, but I don't want people to stare when I go to the gym/get into shorts/tank. I'm not even thinking about a bikini at this stage. :(

arrgh I'm really stressed! I made friends last time, but there were these skinny, tall girls who were on the treadmill all the time and whilst jogging, gave rude glances because I was doing weight training. They were light weights, but I did 800 reps for sculpting not building muscle.

another question: what do guys think about girls doing weight training? I'm not a tom boy or anything, like I do pilates and yoga, cardio too. just wondering.

Soooo I know i need to lose weight.. does anyone have any tips?? e.g. green tea or something? I'm working out 7 hrs cardio/weights and 3 hrs pilates a week+ abs every night. should I do more??

I DON'T WANT EVERYONE STARING!! :( I'm not even thinking about bringing a bikini at this stage

thanks!

Honey, you are on the low end of a healthy BMI - you are already thin enough. The best thing that you can do for yourself is learn to love yourself as you are. I would guess that what you really want is to be taller, you can't change that and it won't matter how much you torture yourself trying to lose that last pound if you really want to be 5ft 8.

The best advice I could give you is to live a healthy lifestyle - eat well, go to the gym, work out and maybe swim some as well, don't focus on your weight, focus on being healthy. Boys don't like stick insects, that is a false message that the media put out there - go onto YouTube and do a search for models being airbrushed - you will see how it is not real.

Oh and as for the bikini, most girls (even the skinniest girl you will ever meet) look better in a swimming costume, you can but some great swimming costumes that enhance your shape.

Go on the cruise, enjoy it and remember people really are not staring at you as they are too busy worrying about how they look themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi,

I can totally understand feeling self conscious and I want to be sensitive to you, but I checked your BMI and you're at the low point of healthy verging on underweight. However, I work with someone who is very much like you and has met with a PT who has her eating more protein and working on increasing her muscle mass instead because she actually doesn't need to lose more weight. Why don't you have a chat with a PT to get some advice on your current routine.

It must be really hard being a teen these days when there appears to be so much more pressure to look a certain way.

Enjoy your cruise.

Honey, you are on the low end of a healthy BMI - you are already thin enough. The best thing that you can do for yourself is learn to love yourself as you are. I would guess that what you really want is to be taller, you can't change that and it won't matter how much you torture yourself trying to lose that last pound if you really want to be 5ft 8.

The best advice I could give you is to live a healthy lifestyle - eat well, go to the gym, work out and maybe swim some as well, don't focus on your weight, focus on being healthy. Boys don't like stick insects, that is a false message that the media put out there - go onto YouTube and do a search for models being airbrushed - you will see how it is not real.

Oh and as for the bikini, most girls (even the skinniest girl you will ever meet) look better in a swimming costume, you can but some great swimming costumes that enhance your shape.

Go on the cruise, enjoy it and remember people really are not staring at you as they are too busy worrying about how they look themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

END THREAD.

Seriously. I don't think anybody could give any better advice then this right here. I can't imagine what it would be like being a 17 y.o. girl. It must be hell.

Don't obsess with your weight - enjoy yourself!!! I am sure you will look beautiful, especially if you have a carefree and confident attitude.

By the way, weight training is an EXCELLENT workout for girls! Don't be scared to increase the weights either. As you gradually increase the weights, make sure your technique is right to prevent injury. Do you go to any weightlifting classes?

The girls on the treadmill are wasting their time. You get a better burn in the long term from lifting, not endless hours of the same cardio workout ;)

Hello,

I am a 17 year old girl going on a cruise at beginning of December, and I have less than month to lose 4 kgs! I am 51kg at the moment, 164cm tall. And.. I really don't want to feel self-conscious when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself! The staff are very nice, but I don't want people to stare when I go to the gym/get into shorts/tank. I'm not even thinking about a bikini at this stage. :(

arrgh I'm really stressed! I made friends last time, but there were these skinny, tall girls who were on the treadmill all the time and whilst jogging, gave rude glances because I was doing weight training. They were light weights, but I did 800 reps for sculpting not building muscle.

another question: what do guys think about girls doing weight training? I'm not a tom boy or anything, like I do pilates and yoga, cardio too. just wondering.

Soooo I know i need to lose weight.. does anyone have any tips?? e.g. green tea or something? I'm working out 7 hrs cardio/weights and 3 hrs pilates a week+ abs every night. should I do more??

I DON'T WANT EVERYONE STARING!! :( I'm not even thinking about bringing a bikini at this stage

thanks!

The other posts gave great advice! but I will tell you if you workout like you're doing, you may get burned out. You could run only two miles every other day and lift weights the other days, etc and you'll still lose weight. Eat your protein, fruit, lift weights, run/walk, whatever you ENJOY doing. I am only 5'2 and weigh around 104 and a size 0 or 1, and I still think if I gain three or four pounds, I just have to go on a diet (it really is a problem) and don't dare tell your friends you think you need to lose weight. Your are perfect! Go and enjoy your cruise and really who cares what other people think. You are in charge of your happiness, not someone who thinks you have to be so thin. Really look at the people at your local pool. They are overweight and still wear a bikini and they feel good about what they are wearing. Please don't worry, have fun, life is too short.

Hello,

thanks!

You do not need to lose weight, although most likely do need to build muscle. Google "skinny fat." Get you body fat percentage tested and worry more about that metric than your weight.

I lift weights/strength train, power walk, and practice yoga, total about 16 hours a week.

You are wasting your time doing 800 reps. You end up developing muscle memory and after awhile, you get no or minimal benefit. Instead strive for three sets of 10-15 reps, and stagger them between two,or three different exercises. For example do 15 reps of flys followed by 15 lat pulls followed by 15 dips then go back to the flys and repeat the cycle until you have done three sets of each. Don't strength train for more than an hour at a time or you'll end up fatigued and not able to hold form. Form is important to avoid injury.

What is "sculpting" other than a marketing term? You can't spot reduce, but you can target different areas for building muscle, which is what makes you look fit.

Also,how do you eat? Eat clean and make sure you get enough lean protein and good fats and kick all processed foods out of your diet.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Hello,

thanks!

Athena.

At 112 lbs and 5 feet 3 inches, if I did my conversion right, I for one see nothing wrong with the package. You are by far in nicer condition than a huge percentage of your peers. The ones that are staring are most probably jealous anyway. Go ahead and workout anyway you find that suits your personal style and don't fret about what anyone else says or does. The people that are going to be your true friends care about your personality and not your appearance. You will only do yourself harm when you fret about others thoughts. Relax and have a great cruise.

Bob:)

I do have to say that if I saw someone doing 800 reps of anything, I'd be staring as well. That's not only un-beneficial, it's just odd. I suspect that it was the activity, not the person that they were staring at.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

considering the people I've seen in bikinis by the pool, dont fret, you'll look positively anorexic!!!!!!

I think that might very well be where she is heading :(. OP, I will say this as delicately as I can, as a mother of two girls, as well as having know people with eating disorders, it breaks my heart to read your posts. I think maybe you should seek out a mental health professional to help you sort out these issues that you are struggling with.

I am the same height as you and when I was in my 20s I weighed between 55 and 60 kgs.

I looked great in a bikini and was the envy of all my friends.

Please please do not lose anymore weight. Enjoy your life , you will rock in that bikini. People only look because you look GOOD. Pilates and walking are good for keeping healthy . Stop wasting valuable fun and living time doing all that other stuff.