Jury summons during my upcoming cruise

Bevv

"...the judge didn't want to hear diddly squat about people's vacations being a valid reason for being excused as a juror." Right, same here. Don't say vacation or cruise! Judge may perceive that as a frivolous attitude.When I got mine, I sent back the form explaining that I would be unavoidably out of the country for 2 weeks. Had they wanted proof, I would have provided it, along with receipts for the $$ I stood to lose. Was able to do my civic duty the next year.

Got called for a Federal case about four years ago. The summons instructed me to call every evening between a certain time to see which day I should show up at the court. In this case there is no one to speak with a about postponing your service. My day eventually came and I went and did the whole process ,ie, juror #,swearing in, going over the affidavit. Was told to put my excuse in writing on the 2nd day and that the Judge would look at it( he's the only one that can grant an excuse in this case). A week later they called to tell me I was free to go on my cruise.

I just filled out a form that said we would be out of town from _____ to _____ and got excused. They said you were allowed one excused time during the time you were on jury duty call; however, they gave me a second one because I had to give my students a state mandated test that could not be given by a sub. they usually are flexible.

Saturday I got a bright yellow postcard telling me that I have a summons for jury duty on on Dec 3rd.. when I will be in Cozumel on the Elation. ... Court is closed today, so off I go when I wake up tomorrow (I work swing shift) to the courthouse with paperwork to show the conflict.

Since it is Municipal Court, I do not anticipate a problem, but I do have travel insurance that covers it, just in case.

Has anyone NOT been able to reschedule the jury duty?

All you have to do is call. They will let you postpone a week or two

i had received a card about two weeks before our european cruise this summer. I showed them my papers and they rescheduled it five months later... there are some reasons on there to be excused...check them out you might qualify for one of them... they are usually nice and reschedule...

I know this one. I can tell you that you can reschedule at least in the county I work in. You have to call and they will put you on the next months summons. That is not a problem. Don't wait for the last minute. A summons is not an invitation its an order.

But if you show up and sit in that jury selection room and make it all the way to a Jury selection hearing, your "I have an upcoming vacation" excuse will not work. I have seen people try and use it and the judge won't accept it. Judges do have more authority than some people realize.

I actually would like to get to sit on a Jury. I have been called 3X in 15 years. I was washed out as soon as I reported the first two times and on the third was able to sit with the other potential jurors for a couple hours for a Civil trial...... but was washed out before even making it to a hearing. They don't use most of those called thats why a lot chance coming in.

Good Luck

My DIL got a jury notice for the period we had a prepaid vacation. She went into a panic but we send proof of payment, etc. She was excused until later date. We found out she was originally called for the Kwame Kilpatrick trial. That would have taken a large chunk of time. LOL

My DIL got a jury notice for the period we had a prepaid vacation. She went into a panic but we send proof of payment, etc. She was excused until later date. We found out she was originally called for the Kwame Kilpatrick trial. That would have taken a large chunk of time. LOL

Ouch. Yes, that would have been a long one! lol. Oh, Kwame.

I know a couple that is 50 years old (as well as a few other friends) and they have been trashing the summons for over 30 years. They don't do anything to enforce it. I am not saying I agree with this but I will say I wouldn't miss a vacation over it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Around here they do!!

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/brevard-co-judge-cracks-down-jury-duty-no-shows/nPjM7/

I went to the County Clerk, filled out a request for postponement, and was told that the judge would have to approve the change in dates.. and that I would get a call if I am NOT approved. The clerk thinks that it is normally approved, but she could not tell me for sure.

Thanks for all the info.

Saturday I got a bright yellow postcard telling me that I have a summons for jury duty on on Dec 3rd.. when I will be in Cozumel on the Elation. ... Court is closed today, so off I go when I wake up tomorrow (I work swing shift) to the courthouse with paperwork to show the conflict.

Since it is Municipal Court, I do not anticipate a problem, but I do have travel insurance that covers it, just in case.

You should have no problem.

Here if you want to get out of it, you have to go in front of the judge and present your case. It is really like being on trial. I can tell you in my county hardly anything gets you out of it. One judge said he didn't care if you had to work, owned your own business, how scheduled surgery, had an infant etc...

No, they can't MAKE you go, but they CAN issue a bench warrant for contempt of court if you don't show or make arrangements. (DH is a retired judge, he would have a day to show up and explain why you can't serve at that time. Usually he would excuse a vacation.)

That's only if you just don't show up, if you have documentation of your trip they will excuse you for that time. Your not going o be arrested.

Here if you want to get out of it, you have to go in front of the judge and present your case. It is really like being on trial. I can tell you in my county hardly anything gets you out of it. One judge said he didn't care if you had to work, owned your own business, how scheduled surgery, had an infant etc...

You don't need go in front of the judge, there should be a number to call and then you may be required to fax you documents to the clerk who takes care of these issues. It's not a big deal at all and goes on all the time.

Just did my "civil duty" --- jury duty. Quite a few people got dismiss with no problems... one had a prepaid annual golf trip.. another fishing. lol

Everyone that had one got excused, but me. :( not a nice case either..

Four days worth the trial.. a least they can't call me for another year, and got $30.00 for doing it too. :rolleyes:

Just did my "civil duty" --- jury duty. Quite a few people got dismiss with no problems... one had a prepaid annual golf trip.. another fishing. lol

Everyone that had one got excused, but me. :( not a nice case either..

Four days worth the trial.. a least they can't call me for another year, and got $30.00 for doing it too. :rolleyes:

30 a day correct. Here in New York we get 40 a day. They allow you to actually refuse payment if so inclined. Lol yeah right!

A parent was complaining to me once that her unemployed college grad son was getting nowhere with his résumé and just got a jury summons so now his job hunt will be put off 2 more weeks. I told her at least he could get up to 400 if he gets on a 2 week trial. She said oh he won't take the money anyway as it just wouldnt be right and actually didn't even fully understand that payment was available. She then proceeded to complain about him asking her for money Duh!!!!

Great question with great answers that put my heart at ease!! :D I recently got a post card for a questionaire about me as a possible candidate for jury duty. I was freaking out that they would call me in for january when we have our Sunshine cruise. Whew what a relief to hear that I could reschedule. :D

I'll be on that cruise too! Are you on the Roll Call? (Jury would just have to go on without me!)

I have been selected for a few jury's. the last time the county sheriff deputies went around and picked up the people that didn't show up for duty. It was so funny watching them brought it. Bed head, pouty, hungover, lol.

I think I have been selected for every jury I have been called for, except maybe once. I don't know how to make them pass me over.

You don't need go in front of the judge, there should be a number to call and then you may be required to fax you documents to the clerk who takes care of these issues. It's not a big deal at all and goes on all the time.

This is NOT the same in every district. The OP needs to call or go by the court office to check. Some places you can just call, some you can request on-line, and some, like where my DH was a judge, you need to go in front of the judge. Not all court systems are the same, not all judges will excuse for the same reasons. If it's a really high profile case some judges won't excuse anyone, they let the attorneys battle it out during voire dire (jury selection). So really there is no one answer for all circumstances.