Chilkoot :(

travln1234

We did the 7.5 tour this summer with the dog cart ride, train up, bus back down with Chilkoot Tours. It was amazing! The lunch does not make the $30 difference. The dogcart ride is actually costly, but so much fun. The puppies, farm animals and taxidermy museum were a hit too!

I have a daughter with peanut allergies and believe me the buffet on the cruise is more challenging then the lunch at caribou crossing! Most of the lunch was good to the rest of us, but the donuts were disgusting. She won't miss not eating those. I agree with others and bring a lunch or snacks that you know she can eat. We were only in the dining hall for about 15 minutes anyway. The rest of the tour was amazing with Chilkoot.

We just reserved this tour for the second time. We first did it first in 2011, and just had to go back because of the breath-taking scenery. When you make reservations with them, the form provides for a selection of the BBQ Chicken lunch or a Vegitarian lunch. Your choice. Hope this helps!

We just reserved this tour for the second time. We first did it first in 2011, and just had to go back because of the breath-taking scenery. When you make reservations with them, the form provides for a selection of the BBQ Chicken lunch or a Vegitarian lunch. Your choice. Hope this helps!

It is nice that they now offer the veggie option. Back in 2008 we did the Bennett Lake trip and veggie was not available. I was prepared and had brought my own snacks and ate the leslaw as that was the one thing I could eat. I am guessing I also ate bread. The lack of a vegetarian lunch had no bearing on the enjoyment of my trip though. I would go back in a heartbeat with or without a lunch I could eat. I never even gave thought to the fact that I paid for an included lunch that I wouldn't be able to eat. I was just so excited to finally being able to visit Alaska.

It is nice that they now offer the veggie option. Back in 2008 we did the Bennett Lake trip and veggie was not available. I was prepared and had brought my own snacks and ate the leslaw as that was the one thing I could eat. I am guessing I also ate bread. The lack of a vegetarian lunch had no bearing on the enjoyment of my trip though. I would go back in a heartbeat with or without a lunch I could eat. I never even gave thought to the fact that I paid for an included lunch that I wouldn't be able to eat. I was just so excited to finally being able to visit Alaska.

You are talking about 2 different trips. the BBQ is at Caribou Crossing, where they have had the vegetarian option. Lake Bennett has the stew, I have not known them to have anything else, but haven't taken this trip in 2 years.

You are talking about 2 different trips. the BBQ is at Caribou Crossing, where they have had the vegetarian option. Lake Bennett has the stew, I have not known them to have anything else, but haven't taken this trip in 2 years.

It must be new since your last trip. In 2013 they offered the vegetarian option on all the tours they offered. I wish they listed what the vegetarian option was in their reservation site.

It must be new since your last trip. In 2013 they offered the vegetarian option on all the tours they offered. I wish they listed what the vegetarian option was in their reservation site.

It's probably some kinda vegetarian stuff. Like fruit and vegetables and tofu.

• 2 weeks later...
Eat the hot dog without the bun? Surely you have to make compromises like this all the time?

BQ wasn't trying to be rude. I totally understand where she'd coming from. If this is a serious dietary concern for your daughter, "teases" like this are something she will encounter all the time, and she's going to have to learn to adjust. I know it's not easy for a child that age. If you are really concerned about how she will react to not being able to eat any donuts on one tour, perhaps you need to consider how difficult all the "teases" on the cruise ship will be.

Before you accuse me of being insensitive too... I do have one special needs child, and one who has recently developed a mild allergies to PEAS, of all things. Harder to avoid than you might think!

If all you want is to play with puppies and don't care about the cart ride, consider the Klondike Gold Dredge in Skagway. We had a great puppy experience there... better than we did on the Chilkoot train tour.

I agree with you 100 percent, and I am a special education teacher. I work with children with severe disabilities full time. I am sorry the OP chose to lash out at everyone. Hiding the food is not a solution, sorry. Flame me if you want, it will not affect me. Why not just bring some pre-packaged snacks,and when it is meal time, go for a walk and have a nice picnic?

I think there is another dog sled tour in Skagway, but you would miss out on the train ride. I am doing the train ride to Bennett next summer, wife and kids are doing the dog ride only because they hate trains :eek:

Edited by twindaddy

I agree with you 100 percent, and I am a special education teacher. I work with children with severe disabilities full time. I am sorry the OP chose to lash out at everyone. Hiding the food is not a solution, sorry. Flame me if you want, it will not affect me. Why not just bring some pre-packaged snacks,and when it is meal time, go for a walk and have a nice picnic?

I think there is another dog sled tour in Skagway, but you would miss out on the train ride. I am doing the train ride to Bennett next summer, wife and kids are doing the dog ride only because they hate trains :eek:

I see you are on the Wonder, port arrival scheduled time is 7:15 and the Chilkoot tours leave at 7:30 , will that leave enough time to get to the train? I would prefer to book through Chilkoot but not sure we will make it.

I see you are on the Wonder, port arrival scheduled time is 7:15 and the Chilkoot tours leave at 7:30 , will that leave enough time to get to the train? I would prefer to book through Chilkoot but not sure we will make it.

Contact the vendor directly and inquire, what would be available for your port time.

• 1 month later...
How far in advance should you book? We are going in August so I prefer not to prepay too far in advance if not necessary.

Depending how many ships are in port that day can give you some idea.

You can also call or email them periodically and ask how full their buses will be for the tour you want.