Curious as to why there are no female CD's

CaribbeanLuver

I had heard that originally, the owner of Carnival (Was that Mickey Ariston?) was told that all the best captains were Italian. Therefore, he only hired Italians for the job.

I'm betting a lot of money that the person who told him that was Italian.... (I'm Italian - I can make jokes...)

:eek: I thought "not breaking new ground" was lesson number one at Captain's school. ;)

I beg to differ... I believe there was 1 Italian captain that did not learn that lesson on day 1.:cool:

I've sailed with all three of the current female C.D.'s and enjoyed all of them. Also, I recently sailed "Breeze" when Butch was on assignment ashore, and his assistant "Brittany" was acting C.D. She was EXCELLENT, and I have no doubt that she'll eventually get her own ship. I told Butch that he'd better watch his back, as she was superior, and he told me that he'd like nothing better, than to see her get promoted. ;)

"SKY"

I know Carnival doesn't have any. Are there any female CD's on other lines?? Seems strange.

Risa Barnes (has been around forever)

Jen Baxter (has been around almost as long)

Stephanie Meads (left shortly after being promoted to CD to settle down with her boyfriend in Orlando)

Jaime D ( is excellent)

Several female ACDs are in the works.....

I think this is a very 1950's view point. There are plenty of women who are choosing not to get married or have children. There are also plenty of women in their 20's who will wait until they are older. I don't see how this would be any more difficult for a woman than it is for a man.

It's traditional, but not 1950's. There are still a majority of women that choose to have a family. Thank goodness too, or the human race would cease to exist. And if women stopped raising their children, we would have a lot of problems too!

I'm not going to get involved in this secondary debate and stick to the op's question:

We've had several female cds.

On Star Clippers the cd was a lovely woman named Monica. I think she was from Lebanon, she spoke 5 languages and soon after our cruise got engaged to another crew member.

On a Celebrity cruise the cd was a woman from Australia. She wore the most extravagant gowns on formal nights, and could sing really well. We ended up in the hot tubs with a few members of her family a couple of times.

Honestly can't remember anything about the cd on our 1 and only Carnival cruise.

I've never been on an NCL. All I know is that practically all the ship captain's I've heard on the com had accents and names like "ollafsson". I remember from each cruise thinking "I guess they all come from Norway or Sweden etc."

NCL has very few Norwegian officers. Many are from Sweden.

Risa Barnes started with Carnival as a bar waitress, and as she loves to brag has done every job on the ship except for Captain...and someday...

Risa started with Carnival in 1992 so she has a lot of experience.

On our cruise last week on the Fantasy, a man asked her why she did not serve on any larger ships. Some seem to think she is on the Fantasy (oldest and smallest ship in the Fleet) because she is a woman. But she is there by choice. She served on the Celebration before and now the Fantasy because she loves the small ships and the ability to get out and really meet people, which is not easy to do on a larger ship.

And, Risa loves to do the small individual things. By her own admission she does not sing or dance. Some of her jokes are pretty old too, but she sill is a joy to be around. Of course, she also loves the fact that the ship is ported in Charleston, and she is a South Caroline girl.

BTW...last week we actually chose the Fantasy because she was on it. And she turned a cruise of lousy weather, and still made it fun.

JB

Risa Barnes started with Carnival as a bar waitress, and as she loves to brag has done every job on the ship except for Captain...and someday...

Risa started with Carnival in 1992 so she has a lot of experience.

This is an important thing to keep in mind when discussing why there aren't as many women in the top positions. Yes, this isn't the 1950s and more women are choosing careers over staying at home with family. But you don't go straight into positions like Cruise Director or Ship captain. You have to work your way up, and that takes time. There are some younger cruise directors, but most I've seen looked to be in their 40s at least. I imagine in the future we'll see something like a 60/40 male to female ratio in cruise directors. I doubt you'll see 50/50. Right or wrong motherhood still works against you when you're trying to climb the career ladder.

Risa Barnes (has been around forever)

Jen Baxter (has been around almost as long)

Stephanie Meads (left shortly after being promoted to CD to settle down with her boyfriend in Orlando)

Jaime D ( is excellent)

Several female ACDs are in the works.....

Had Stephanie Meads on the Inspiration and her ACD was also Stephanie!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century

I would think it would be a special woman to do this...

If you are married...or perhaps have children, would you be willing to be away from them for long periods of time? More difficult for a woman, I would think...Just my guess.

I don't know why it would be any more difficult for a woman to be away from her family for extended periods of time than it would be for a man. In any position.

Over the years I've seen several instances where both husband and wife work on Carnival ships.

I noticed on Conquest last week that the manager over the Lido buffet area was a female. That is the first time I can remember seeing that.

It's traditional, but not 1950's. There are still a majority of women that choose to have a family. Thank goodness too, or the human race would cease to exist. And if women stopped raising their children, we would have a lot of problems too!

Last I knew most men are continuing to choose to have family. Thank goodness too or the human race would cease to exist. (yes, tongue-in-cheek)

I wouldn't think sex would be a primary reason for selection. I would hope it was ability and talent.

Exactly. And it is erroneous to assume that females make better parents than men. It absolutely depends on the individual. And one thing absent in this discussion is the role that extended family plays in cultures outside the U.S.

Edited by winddawn