Fishing in port canveral area

Nadersmom

We are cruising out of Port Canaveral in the beginning of November next year. I have looked into fishing excursion for DH thru Carnival for when we are in Freeport. There is an excursion for bottom fishing that seems to get pretty good reviews.

But I also thought if we go down a day early, maybe there would be a nice fishing charter while we are in Florida. He is an avid fisherman and fishes numerous bass tournaments throughout the summer. However, we are from the Midwest so DH has never gotten to fish anywhere like the coast of Florida.

Has anyone done any type of fishing tour/excursion in the Port Canaveral area? Can anyone recommend any specific companies or guides based on experience?

Many thanks!!

I'm no fisherman so can't give you a recommendation but PC is a big sport fishing location. Google 'port Canaveral fishing' and you'll get at least two dozen places ranging from private charters to 'party boats' .. and there is surf fishing, and river fishing .. and shark fishing ...

I'm no fisherman so can't give you a recommendation but PC is a big sport fishing location. Google 'port Canaveral fishing' and you'll get at least two dozen places ranging from private charters to 'party boats' .. and there is surf fishing, and river fishing .. and shark fishing ...

Thanks Captain!

I did just that! and you're right. There are tons of fishing charters for the Banana River, Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River Lagoon ect. And all of them are kind of "right there" in the area we will most likely be staying precruise. Now I just need to find a reputable one that has good reviews.

He'll be absolutely THRILLED!!!

I fish in the Indian River a little more than my wife likes and I happen to know a few good Guides in the area.

Captain Pat Murphey

http://www.mosquitolagoonguides.com/

is the first that comes to mind. He is a outstanding Fisherman.

On the same level as Capt. Pat is Capt. Billy Rotne http://www.tailhuntercharters.com/

Billy is a young outstanding fisherman that anyone would be happy to have as a guide.

Last is Capt. Brian Pounds http://www.orlandofloridafishingcharter.com/

I asked a friend for a third recommendation and this was his choice.

Make sure you tell the guide exactly what you are looking for in the day of fishing and they will make it happen. There are some guides that will just take a guest to a spot, anchor up and soak bait all day so make sure you tell them your expectations.

I fish in the Indian River a little more than my wife likes and I happen to know a few good Guides in the area.

Captain Pat Murphey

http://www.mosquitolagoonguides.com/

is the first that comes to mind. He is a outstanding Fisherman.

On the same level as Capt. Pat is Capt. Billy Rotne http://www.tailhuntercharters.com/

Billy is a young outstanding fisherman that anyone would be happy to have as a guide.

Last is Capt. Brian Pounds http://www.orlandofloridafishingcharter.com/

I asked a friend for a third recommendation and this was his choice.

Make sure you tell the guide exactly what you are looking for in the day of fishing and they will make it happen. There are some guides that will just take a guest to a spot, anchor up and soak bait all day so make sure you tell them your expectations.

Thank you So Much!

Yes, I can empathize with your wife LOL. I feel like I live alone in the summer as DH is fishing every free moment he is able. He dreams of going to Texas to live so he can bass fish year round. He used to fish occasionally. I bought him his first Loomis Rod about 13 years ago as a Valentines Day gift and it took his fishing to an entirely different level. I now have misc. fishing tackle/equipment located in almost every room of my home. ;)

This is just the type of information I was looking for. Personal experience from a fellow fisherman who knows what type of guided fishing experience my DH will be looking for.

I will keep these names for him to call rather than surprise him so he can discuss exactly what he wants to do.

If I think enough about this, I may be creating a problem for myself :rolleyes:. If he's enjoying himself too much, he may not come off the water and go on the cruise with me.

Again, many thanks to you Florida Bum!!! Very much appreciated.

Just a heads up, find out what fish is running while you will be visiting.

The Atlantic may be too cold for any good fishing in November. I'd hate to see you waste your money, he may do better with an inland excursion that time of year. Good luck!

Just a heads up, find out what fish is running while you will be visiting.

The Atlantic may be too cold for any good fishing in November. I'd hate to see you waste your money, he may do better with an inland excursion that time of year. Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for the head's up. I myself don't know enough about fishing to even think of something like that ;)

So because they are essentially right at the coast, maybe the inland fishing in the Indian River and Lagoons would be too cold as well in the beginning of November? I'll certainly have him discuss it with the guides that he contacts.

So you think maybe he should check into charters lakes further inland ? I saw an add for a charter close to Kissimmee (?) But we are flying into to Orlando and driving to Port Canaveral for the cruise. I didn't know how far he'd have to then travel in addition to that to get to a freshwater lake.

Glad I could offer some help.

There is plenty of fish around the area in November. Cold weather does slow it down the bite but if you know what you are doing as any good guide should, there shouldn't be a issue.

For the most part there is not a fish run in this area besides tarpon. Most of the fish, redfish and sea trout are resident fish.

Now, offshore fishing is a whole different ball game.

There is good bass fishing in Florida you know... But, if you are staying out by the coast I would suggest doing the Inshore thing. Your husband will be right at home as it's a lot like bass fishing using some of the same techniques.

The only thing that I can see being a issue is weather. Wind is a killer when it comes to flats fishing. I hate it! I can handle the rain but the wind just makes it tough. But again, a guide who knows his/her stuff can work around it. Nature is his/her office.

What would be a bonus to the trip is if Nasa had a rocket going up on the same day as the trip. He would be getting a front row seat.

Good luck, it will be a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I know he's complained more than once about wind when he's "fishing shallow" during tournaments. (whatever THAT means:rolleyes:)

Either way, whether he catches them or not, he'll welcome the experience. He was sent to the regionals this year for the BFL on Kentucky Lake down in Tennessee and Kentucky and said he fished ledges (again, whatever THAT means:rolleyes:) LOL which he can't do here in Northern Illinois. He said we don't have ledges up here. But even though he didn't make the final 6 for the All American, he said it was a great learning experience to fish a different type of area. To learn something new from locals.

So while he'd be thrilled to catch and release some fish, just spending 4 or 5 hours in a different type of water/terrain fishing will be enough to make him happy :D . Especially considering that by November up here, the boat has had to go into storage for the winter. He starts to go thru withdrawal about a week after the boat gets put away.

Any other tips for the area are welcomed. :D

The inshore fishing in the Indian River Lagoon and Mosquito Lagoon are NOT to be missed! It is a very beautiful and unique ecosystem. November is a great time as the weather is typically pleasant.

Also I second the recommendation of Capt. Pat Murphy, great guy. It is very nice of you to research this for your husband! Maybe you could go with him, even if you don't fish (my wife says you are missing out ;)) it is a nice day on the water.

The inshore fishing in the Indian River Lagoon and Mosquito Lagoon are NOT to be missed! It is a very beautiful and unique ecosystem. November is a great time as the weather is typically pleasant.

Also I second the recommendation of Capt. Pat Murphy, great guy. It is very nice of you to research this for your husband! Maybe you could go with him, even if you don't fish (my wife says you are missing out ;)) it is a nice day on the water.

Thanks so much for the response Pedal/Paddle.

I actually was thinking about going with him on this fishing trip. We'll see ;)

I had to look up fishing. I couldn't possibly expect him to not have a fishing day before the cruise if we are in FLORIDA of all places. Who knows when we'll get that far south again. This fishin thing is in his blood :rolleyes:

I live in the area and this maybe fun for you try one of what we call the party boats. I like the Orlando princess. I always have luck with them. They leave around 10:00 and get back around 5:00. Some time you can get a lot of people on the boat 40 or 50 but if you get a stern spot it's fun and they have the rods reels and bait and you may catch something that the restaurant next door will cook for you, anything but sharks they won't cook them. No I don't work for them. If you want more info just let me know. Welcome to the Space Coast.

Ed