Norwegian Sun Oct. 30th to Nov. 11 - Tips

big_lar_1

thanks for a well thought out and objective account of your cruise. We will be on the same one in about 3 plus weeks. Well, 4 minus one day. As for the wine corkage fee, I think it was good you pointed this out, but I also think most people are now aware of NCLs policy. Of course HAL will allow you as much as you want to be brought on with no charge for using in your cabin. This is no longer the case with RCI and Carnival. They are limiting it to one or no bottles.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help others know what to expect.

FYI - Holland America changed its policy. You can only bring one bottle effective in January. Here is the CC story back from August.

Next year, Holland America Line will impose restrictions that will turn the line from being one of the most permissive lines for passengers who want to bring their own wine bottles on board to being just like almost every other line.

Effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014, passengers will be limited to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation day only. A corkage fee of $20 will be levied for each bottle opened in any shipboard restaurant or bar.

"The new policy for guests bringing alcoholic beverages on board their cruise will standardize Holland America Line's policy with others in the industry," spokesman Erik Elvejord told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line features an extensive wine list onboard for guests to choose from… Our wine list covers a wide range of pricing, with the majority priced under $40/bottle."

Any bottle exceeding this limit will be removed from passengers' luggage and returned on the last evening of the cruise. Wines purchased in ports of call also will be held until the last night of the sailing.

Hi, I'll ask my questions again since I think they got lost in the feed, were the hairdryers still the old hose type? Did the TV's get replaced with flat screens yet? Where was your favorite spot to hang out? What about best bar? How was the smoke onboard?

We were on this sailing as well. We were in an aft balcony and had the dryer on the wall thing. Ours did not have a lot of power so I was glad I had my travel blow dryer packed!

ImageUploadedByForums1384813130.954855.jpg.79a0e2f7ba1964d350234c42e9fda8d3.jpg

Tv's are flat screens but not large. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic!

Our favorite place was our balcony and the observation lounge.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on this sailing as well. We were in an aft balcony and had the dryer on the wall thing. Ours did not have a lot of power so I was glad I had my travel blow dryer packed!

[ATTACH]293299[/ATTACH]

Tv's are flat screens but not large. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic!

Our favorite place was our balcony and the observation lounge.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are also going to be in an aft balcony, 0266. In your photo it appears the shower has a hand held shower head. Is that correct?

Also, did you have much soot on the balcony?

Thanks!

We are also going to be in an aft balcony, 0266. In your photo it appears the shower has a hand held shower head. Is that correct?

Also, did you have much soot on the balcony?

Thanks!

Here is a larger pic to give you a better idea. The showerhead is hand held.

Bathroom1.jpg

Yes there was soot on the balcony at times. We just never sat down without putting a towel down on the loungers and chairs. On day 1 just before sailaway...someone above us threw a lit cigarette overboard and the wind blew it back onto my bf's arm. Not a great way to start a cruise, but we didn't let it ruin our cruise! In fact, we have the same aft cabin (9277) reserved for our March, 2014 cruise.

In case anyone is interested,,,,here is a pic of the sink area.

Bathroom2.jpg

FYI - Holland America changed its policy. You can only bring one bottle effective in January. Here is the CC story back from August.

Next year, Holland America Line will impose restrictions that will turn the line from being one of the most permissive lines for passengers who want to bring their own wine bottles on board to being just like almost every other line.

Effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014, passengers will be limited to one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation day only. A corkage fee of $20 will be levied for each bottle opened in any shipboard restaurant or bar.

"The new policy for guests bringing alcoholic beverages on board their cruise will standardize Holland America Line's policy with others in the industry," spokesman Erik Elvejord told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line features an extensive wine list onboard for guests to choose from… Our wine list covers a wide range of pricing, with the majority priced under $40/bottle."

Any bottle exceeding this limit will be removed from passengers' luggage and returned on the last evening of the cruise. Wines purchased in ports of call also will be held until the last night of the sailing.

wow, thanks for the update. This is why I usually mention, things could have changed since the last time I cruised, regardless of the line: Unless you have been on a particular line in the past few months or certainly the last year, it is hard to know the policies. I expect all lines, that haven't changed to do so in the very near future.