Priority embarkation for disabled cancelled because of FTTF?

bobbygirl

I disagree IMO Wheel chair and special needs should trump ANYBODY.. Diamonds Plats.. FTTF

I agree to a certain extent. I use a wheelchair or a cane, but I can wait in line. Sounds like your daughter in law would be better off getting to the cabin ASAP. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for her to be up and around at all especially after a bone biopsy. If they do not help you, move to the front of the line with her anyways, ask if she can be sent through and maybe they will have compassion. I would not wait in line with her.

I think that rule is justified for certain cases, but exceptions need to be made. I could say wow I'm in a wheelchair so I need to skip the line, but that wouldn't really be very fair if I am capable of waiting.

I guess I would be what you classify as a faker. I traveled with a wheelchair on my last cruise. And yes there were times you would see me in the wheelchair and other times walking around just fine. I have a problem that doesn't always bother me but when it does I have a hard time walking without pain. Don't assume just because someone appears fine that there isn't an issue you can't see.

Yes people that abuse any system stink. But I am not going to accuse people of faking it just because I can't see an issue. It is not my place to judge.

Don't feel bad. This is me too. I am a veteran of the armed forces, i have a service related injury that bothers me sometimes. If I walk around too much I need a cane. If I walk too much after that sometimes I have to have a wheelchair. Generally I am okay, but it just depends on the weather, how much I am walking and other issues.

It makes me so mad when people judge me. I can imagine that you feel the same way. They see me with my cane, then I don't have it so they think I was faking. Really I just need it sometimes. I will have my cane when I board. I expect to need it on the cruise because of all the walking, but not too sure. Last time I went through, they put me through the front because of my cane. I had assured them I could wait, but they insisted that I walk through because they didn't want me up on my feet that long. They were very polite and kind. They even offered to push me in the wheelchair, but I declined.

I think the most important accomodation would be a place to sit and assistance boarding. It sounds like Carnival will provide that accomodation. My grandma is 86 and refuses to use anything more than a cane. We waited to board with our zone, made sure she had a place to sit and took our time on the gangway. We did get a wheelchair for her at our layover airports because we wouldn't have made it to our next gate in time otherwise.

OP, I understand that your DIL has had a bad year and I can't even imagine. I hope you can make it a special cruise for her and help her forget her troubles just a little bit.

I think with her sitting would be uncomfortable. A bone graft is in the hip, and EXTREMELY painful. I would imagine she would want to get to her cabin as soon as possible.

This subject saddens me. I'm a vet and disabled as well, messed up lumbar discs doing my job In Iraq. I do have a cane I use but do not really rely on it as much lately. The fact that we are being perceived as using our impairment to get a faster route through but not needing it while on board is frustrating mainly because that activity makes people categorize me and others like me as fake in others viewpoint. I use what I have when I need to, like when I lose feeling in my legs because of permanent sciatic nerve damage. It's an intermittent thing, like a short in your car headlight. When it doesn't work, it doesn't work. When it feels fine, I'm good to go. Sadly this is a global mentality almost as there is always someone there scrutinizing whether someone is legit or not. I'm usually polite but when I encounter one o these over analyzers I tend to lose my cool and publicly address tem in their folly, make them look at my surgical scars in view of everyone and dare them to call me a fake again... Last time that happened was in Walmart over a "buggy" and the person left the store with everyone staring at them instead

This subject saddens me. I'm a vet and disabled as well, messed up lumbar discs doing my job In Iraq. I do have a cane I use but do not really rely on it as much lately. The fact that we are being perceived as using our impairment to get a faster route through but not needing it while on board is frustrating mainly because that activity makes people categorize me and others like me as fake in others viewpoint. I use what I have when I need to, like when I lose feeling in my legs because of permanent sciatic nerve damage. It's an intermittent thing, like a short in your car headlight. When it doesn't work, it doesn't work. When it feels fine, I'm good to go. Sadly this is a global mentality almost as there is always someone there scrutinizing whether someone is legit or not. I'm usually polite but when I encounter one o these over analyzers I tend to lose my cool and publicly address tem in their folly, make them look at my surgical scars in view of everyone and dare them to call me a fake again... Last time that happened was in Walmart over a "buggy" and the person left the store with everyone staring at them instead

Thanks for your service too! It seems like people's mentality is that if you aren't hurt 24/7 than you aren't hurt at all. And I hate the looks I get too from my army injury. I carry a cane around and people look at me all the time like "why you using that?" I'm young, and don't look hurt, till I'm limping so bad I can hardly walk.

Thanks for your service too! It seems like people's mentality is that if you aren't hurt 24/7 than you aren't hurt at all. And I hate the looks I get too from my army injury. I carry a cane around and people look at me all the time like "why you using that?" I'm young, and don't look hurt, till I'm limping so bad I can hardly walk.

Agree with this and all those like it. My Mom has MS and it flares up sometimes and sometimes it is fine. She can go from walking fine for a short while, to using a cane to using a wheelchair. The thing is for a 72 year old woman, she looks a lot younger and looks fitter than she is. People have made remarks to her when she parks in a handicap spot and walks into a store to use their electric carts. She has been known to remark back to someone that she would gladly change places with them and be totally healthy so they could have the handicap spot. Most people shut up after that!

Cannot make snap judgements just because someone can walk some. Different problems cause different difficulties.

I would have no problem at all if Carnival or any other cruiseline allows someone with a disability to board right after FTTF passengers with just ONE (1) other passenger.

What I had a problem with at the Port of Miami was watching Grandma and her Grandson RUN into the terminal towards the back where the wheelchairs are stored. Then I watched as Grandson came out pushing Grandma in the wheelchair and Grandma yelling "come on guys" and SEVEN (7) other family members entered the building and ALL OF THEM proceeded to enter where the Platinum/Diamond and FTTF passengers line is... :(

And Yes, I did see Grandma quite a few times during the week having a grand time with no wheelchair in site... And yes, I did say to her "I thought I saw you in a wheelchair when we boarded the ship" or something like that and her answer to me "Oh, I do that all the time so we can get on the ship quicker and not have to wait on those long lines"... I was so upset I just walked away from her.. Now I'm sorry I didn't tell her exactly how I felt at that moment...

You asked so she told you the truth. Clearly the OPs daughter in-law ain't the "granny" you reference. People take advantage and try to get over often in all kinds of scenarios. However the OP has a blind passenger to board. I would gladly let her go before me no matter my boarding status. Granny and her tricks will backfire one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I feel the same way as others. I suffered a stroke from a blood clot this past spring. I am really worried about boarding at Port Canaveral and the long walk to the ship. But I know once I am onboard and can plan out my day and avoid the crowded areas I will be fine. Unfortunately, I cant avoid the crowd boarding.

I think there are alot of people with medical conditions that hate having to resort to wheelchairs and help. I just hope no one judges me on the cruise because I am pretty sure I am going to have some great days and more than likely a few bad ones.

I feel the same way as others. I suffered a stroke from a blood clot this past spring. I am really worried about boarding at Port Canaveral and the long walk to the ship. But I know once I am onboard and can plan out my day and avoid the crowded areas I will be fine. Unfortunately, I cant avoid the crowd boarding.

I think there are alot of people with medical conditions that hate having to resort to wheelchairs and help. I just hope no one judges me on the cruise because I am pretty sure I am going to have some great days and more than likely a few bad ones.

Actually, yes you can avoid the crowd boarding. As has been stated above, show up later and there is no crowd nor waiting. Pretty simple IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

You asked so she told you the truth. Clearly the OPs daughter in-law ain't the "granny" you reference. People take advantage and try to get over often in all kinds of scenarios. However the OP has a blind passenger to board. I would gladly let her go before me no matter my boarding status. Granny and her tricks will backfire one day.

And I also said I had no problem with allowing anyone with a disability to board earlier than the other passengers with ONE other passenger... not a whole bus load (or in this Grandmothers case, 7 others besides her and her grandson)...

Thank you so much for your service........my DH was a Navy Seal during Viet Nam................We can understand your situation, very similar, even with Walmart. Keep positive and God Bless the USA:)

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest.

First - shame on anyone who pretends to be disabled in order to receive any kind of special privilege!!!

Second - as several posters mentioned - not all disabilities are visible. I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis in both my lumbar and cervical discs as well as arthritis in several other joints. There are days that standing is difficult for me while other days - no problem. I don't use a wheelchair nor cane. I get to the cruise terminal either very early (like 11ish) when lines are still small or book a cabin category that has a separate check in line. I pay extra for Southwest's early booking so that I am in group A. I love to dance and walk and will pay for it later with pain. I have disabled parking and people have questioned me because I'm not in a wheelchair!!!!

Third - if I saw someone disabled, I would definitely let him or her pass.

To the OP - I wish your DIL well and hope that you all enjoy your cruise. Hopefully, she will not have any negative effects from the biopsy the day before.

Cruising soon with our son and his wife. This year, she has lost her sight (completely blind), has developed chronic myelogenous leukemia and is having a bone marrow biopsy (in her hip) done the day before we cruise. Not a good year, so we're going to create some good memories on this vacation.

She called customer service, and they told her that they will have a wheelchair ready for her at the terminal. However, because of the new FTTF program, they are no longer providing priority access onto the ship for those requiring wheelchair assistance. Anyone heard of this new policy?

Sorry to hear about your daughter-in-law. I haven't read all the responses and don't have anything meaningful to add there but did want to comment. I, too, have CML, was diagnosed in 1997. Just wanted to give you and your family some support and reassurance that it can be a very manageable disease. I've had a couple of botched bone marrow biopsies, thankfully in the 100 or so I've had, there have only been a couple. My advice, have your DIL ask how many that person has performed. The more the better. Granted, they're painful but there should only be a slight bruise that lasts less than a week. If not, she should find another doctor! Anyway, my prayers to you and your family. It WILL get better, time is a great healer :)

I've seen Carnival board the handicapped right after weddings and then through the years it's slipped to after VIP and I didn't realize it had changed again. I realize there are some people with medical conditions that aren't conducive to standing in long lines for long periods of time. Those people should be advised to contact the special needs department for assistance with whatever they need. If that were the case then perhaps a designated zone could be made for those who need special assistance boarding. It would be up tp special needs to determine what qualifies a person for that and not fellow passengers passing judgement.

Ever watch the handicap boarding process when they were boarded right after the weddings? Imagine the amount of people in wheel chairs all lined up with Carnival trying to get as many on an elevator as possible (usually 2 or 3 max). I've seen families turned away as the elevators are only for the handicapped. It created a mess and did in fact hold up boarding for those who were waiting for them to board all the wheel chairs. It makes sense to have everyone board within their group to avoid the long lines at the elevators (in the terminal) and keeps the lines moving. It also eliminates the issue with families wanting to board together for the family picture.

Again I'm not saying that anyone with a special need shouldn't be allowed to board as soon as possible but there should be a system in place for those who truly need it vs those who have figured it as a way to beat the system.

And I also said I had no problem with allowing anyone with a disability to board earlier than the other passengers with ONE other passenger... not a whole bus load (or in this Grandmothers case, 7 others besides her and her grandson)...

What makes you decide one? So if I need to board quickly, Only my husband can come with me (because he pushes the wheelchair) not my 2 little ones? Who are you to decide that? That is nuts.

What makes you decide one? So if I need to board quickly, Only my husband can come with me (because he pushes the wheelchair) not my 2 little ones? Who are you to decide that? That is nuts.

I don't think Elaine515 meant to leave little kids behind. I think she's talking about a grandma & grandson + probably 6 other adults.

I don't think Elaine515 meant to leave little kids behind. I think she's talking about a grandma & grandson + probably 6 other adults.

thanks Sparky2... thats exactly what I meant.. obviously if you are cruising with your kids, I would never want anyone to leave them behind... In this particular case, it was Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Dad and their 5 kids..... Mom and Dad could have very well got on the regular line with their kids and met up with the Grandparents once on-board...

I disagree IMO Wheel chair and special needs should trump ANYBODY.. Diamonds Plats.. FTTF

I totally agree that anyone needing extra help because of a disability should be boarded first! Even if it isn't a permanent one...for ex.; if someone has a broken ankle or leg and needs assistance in boarding they should be able to board before FTTF customers. I mean come on, there aren't that many disabled passengers that FTTF passengers would have to wait for. As to the debate about Platinum, Gold, etc. passengers; I leave that to others to debate. All I know is that I have never, ever ,in all my many years of cruising (over 45 years,) ever had to wait more than 1hr. (tops) to board a cruise. It would never occur to me to want to board before handicapped passengers...but that's just my POV. And yes, I have cruised most of the time during busy travel times (mostly with the DS on his spring breaks or during his summer vacations). I also don't mind having to wait to board after Platinum, Gold, etc., or FTTF passengers as they have earned or paid for the privilege to board early. I'm 67 yrs. old, have a bum knee, and still respect others rights to board before me if they have a disability, are Platinum, etc., are FTTF, or even if they have small children. As long as I get on the ship eventually, I'm good to go!!!

Good luck to the original poster. I hope her family will be able to board early to ease her discomfort because of her disability. I hope they have an awesome cruise!

Edited by mousey

thanks Sparky2... thats exactly what I meant.. obviously if you are cruising with your kids, I would never want anyone to leave them behind... In this particular case, it was Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Dad and their 5 kids..... Mom and Dad could have very well got on the regular line with their kids and met up with the Grandparents once on-board...

That is understandably annoying. The whole group doesn't need to go with the disabled person. Just one companion and any minors travelling with them that would otherwise be left alone. I agree with you 100% on that. What I don't get is what did that have to do with questioning the passenger later because you saw them enjoying themselves. Yeah this person jumped the line acting handicap but most people don't do stuff like that. There are people always trying to get over. But I understand a lot of posters saying you can't judge someone just by sight. My mom has had both knees replaced and suffers from diabetes and bone disease. There are times when she needs more assistance than others. Yet maybe on vacation if she can, she may hit the dance on the dance floor if only to bop a little bit. Doesn't mean she didn't need assistance when you might have seen her. And I wish somebody would question my mother about it.

The crowd going along with fake granny was something to be dealt with right then and there or maybe not at all. But I would never walk up to a stranger questioning why they not in their wheelchair since they boarded the ship that way.

That is understandably annoying. The whole group doesn't need to go with the disabled person. Just one companion and any minors travelling with them that would otherwise be left alone. I agree with you 100% on that. What I don't get is what did that have to do with questioning the passenger later because you saw them enjoying themselves. Yeah this person jumped the line acting handicap but most people don't do stuff like that. There are people always trying to get over. But I understand a lot of posters saying you can't judge someone just by sight. My mom has had both knees replaced and suffers from diabetes and bone disease. There are times when she needs more assistance than others. Yet maybe on vacation if she can, she may hit the dance on the dance floor if only to bop a little bit. Doesn't mean she didn't need assistance when you might have seen her. And I wish somebody would question my mother about it.

The crowd going along with fake granny was something to be dealt with right then and there or maybe not at all. But I would never walk up to a stranger questioning why they not in their wheelchair since they boarded the ship that way.

Please know that I didn't just walk up to Grandma and ask.. We happen to be talking to each other around the pool one day when my Mom, who uses an electric scooter showed up... At that point I mentioned to Grandma that I thought she was also using a wheelchair to which she then replied ""Oh, I do that all the time so we can get on the ship quicker and not have to wait on those long lines"... and I walked away and left my poor Mom to deal with her !!