Port is Closed

Clay Clayton

According to Monday's Key West Citizen:

Starting [today], visitors are coming back in, though the port is closed, because [Naval Air Station commander] Capt. Phil Heyl said a lot of the buoy markers are destroyed."

The markers to guide incoming ships, especially cruise ships, are essential to navigation.

All cruise ship dockings were canceled ahead of the storm through Saturday, and the port will stay closed until it's determined the way is clear. Canceled ship arrivals included the Zuiderdam on Friday and the Empress on Sunday, both at Pier B. Today, no ships had been expected, but the Grandeur at Pier B and the Fascination at the Outer Mole are scheduled for Tuesday, and the Celebration on Wednesday at Mallory Square.

"Capt. Heyl said that he thinks he can have the buoy tender down here [today] or Tuesday," Weekley said.

"Heyl said some of the aids to navigation are such that they don't want to open ports until at least Tuesday," Symroski said. "They'll establish with sonar if it's clear, and if there are no underwater obstructions.

"Once the Coast Guard authorizes that the port can open, then the city will decide when the cruise ships can come back."

Symroski said even after the port was open post-Georges, the city canceled cruise ship stops until all debris could be cleared to ensure tourists' safety.

I'm not so sure cruise ship tourism is without problem in Key West.

According to a just completed study on cruiseship impacts to Key West, cruise passengers spend an average of $27 per trip compared to over $446 spent by non-cruiseship visitors to Key West per trip. The breakdown varies by season - $34 for summer and $19 for winter.

When you consider docking fees, those revenues are substantially offset by the cost of port operations, port security and other related public services associated with cruise ship activities.

Furthermore, in a survey of residents about cruise ship tourism, 38% of the responses were favorable, and 44% were unfavorable.

Kal...the problem with your statement is that it does not provide enough information to reach a logical conclusion of the data you presented.The fact that an average cruise ship passenger is in town for 8 hours or less,while a visitor may stay a week in a hotel which would account for the big difference in cash spent.

Also factor in the port charges that KW receives for each pax and I am sure it amounts to more than $27 spent per person.If you want to factor the added costs of having a ship in port,then you have to factor in the cost of land based visitor as well visiting the island (police,fire,goverment,infrastructure etc.)

I would have to believe most business appreciate the influx of 2500 + new potential customers a day,where as a local person living there would not appreciate the added congestion if they did not somehow benefit from it. I would think that all that live there do benefit somehow, if not indirectly from the added economic impact the vistors bring in. I am sure a few people would love to see the tourists go and return KW to a peaceful tranquil life (which would effectively require a good portion of the islands shops,restaurants,residents,and workers to leave). Catch 22 I guess.

Scuby

Some of the issues you raise have merit...however from the recent survey/report, it appears that the revenue generated is not significantly greater than the costs associated with hosting the cruise ships. Currently I think the port fees are in the 8-10 buck a passenger range which apparently puts KW on the high side compared to other ports so we are told that we can't raise it much more. However, the costs - especially Homeland Defense Security requirements put into place sinced 9/11 mean that the city is spending this much or more...so the question becomes, is the 27 dollars spent per passenger worth the impact to the island lifestyle. To me the real unaswered question is how many folks who visit Key West and spend their $27 dollars come back later and stay a while and spend the $446...if alot do, then the cruise ships may be good advertising for the rest of our economy...if only a few do, then perhaps the City could do better by limiting the number of cruiseships perhaps by raising the port charges...and see a better return on our investment. It's a real tough question that the whole community is engaged in trying to figure out...a question with no easy answer obviously!

Clay

Kal...the problem with your statement is that it does not provide enough information to reach a logical conclusion of the data you presented.The fact that an average cruise ship passenger is in town for 8 hours or less,while a visitor may stay a week in a hotel which would account for the big difference in cash spent.

The actually survey is posted at keysnews.com. While I have not read the actual survey myself, I know that I was very surprised at how little money cruise passengers were found to be spending in the city. When one considers the cost of a typical shore excursion or museum tour or Conch Train ride, etc., it seems hard to imagine that so many passengers arrive and never spend anything in order to arrive at that low average figure.

I do know that Key West has been struggling with the question of cruise ship impact on the fair city. One big impact is increased traffic in the down town (Old Town)area caused by greater numbers of conch train trips, for example. Another point is that most cruise ship passengers do stay in the Old Town or port area and do not fan out much toward other business areas and spend money there.

I've visited Key West both as a cruise ship passenger and almost monthly in our own car. We do spend a bunch more money, no doubt about it, when we arrive by car, than the time we came on Jewel of the Seas.

I'm not at all surprised at the level of spending by cruise passengers. The top spots are:

* Margaritaville

* Conch Train Tour

* T-shirt shop

It's like a parade from the boat to Margaritaville.

The unstated issue is actual and potential environmental risk caused by the cruiseships. One major spill and the ultra-sensitive ecostructure of the keys could be seriously damaged. Now the impact of sedimentation stirred up by the side thrustors has a significant impact on marine ecology near the piers.

I'll weigh in a "typical" cruiser who visited Key West for roughly six hours (with my wife) in November '05. I'm having trouble remembering the exact prices on everything, but you can get the gist:

2 conch train tickets: $40

2 Hemmingway House tickets: $10

2 drinks at the Green Parrot: $10

3 drinks at Cafe Iguana: $15

Lunch, drinks at Margaritaville: $30

Drinks, conch chowder at Hog's Breath: $20

2 Key lime pies on a stick: $8

Various Souvenirs, gifts, cigars: $40

Total: $163/2 = $81.50 (And, yes, the experience was priceless)

I find it enormously hard to believe that the average cruiser only contributes $27 to the economy, but of course this is based on purely anecdotal experience. I guess if someone walked up and down Duvall and back to the ship, this might be the case, but I doubt that describes the typical cruiser.

To Clay's point about return visitation, I am hoping to hop down there for a week next year, where I am positive I will contribute far more to the economy that $446.

I lived and worked in the tourist industry in a tourist town (Newport, RI) with its own debate about cruise ships. Once a location makes a commitment to tourism as the bread and butter of its economy, it becomes harder and harder to say "no" to further growth. It can become a monster. Traffic in Newport in the summer is horrendous--they should come up with a "quahog train." Tourism is almost always the tail that wags the dog, and the idea of sensible limits flies out the window very quickly. But it's also true that the livlihoods of many, many people absolutely depend on it.

No easy answers here. I think a community should always do right by the community, rather than the people who visit for a few hours or a few weeks.

I was trying not to chime in here; but I must concur with the study. I know from years of personal involvement that dining and shopping are not frequented by the majority of cruise passengers to Key West.

Mike

It is true that many cruisers are notoriously cheap--especially the older cruisers. When I worked in Newport I ocassionally made a few extra dollars as a fill-in walking tour guide for cruise excursions. It meant geting up early on a Sunday to meet the group and walk them around town for a couple of hours. I was not paid a wage, but made my money solely through tips. One time, I was completely stiffed--not a penny in tips. Another time, someone tipped me with a cigar--a no-name, no-label that probably cost $2. The vast majority of the people in the group were elderly. I finally learned to make a subtle reference to "thanking your guide" in my opening remarks, and holding a five dollar bill of my own in my hand as they came out of the last stop. I still only averaged about $20 per outing and finally gave it up.

The moral of this story...TIP YOUR GUIDES. The other moral, more to the point of this thread, is that perhaps there are two types of "typical" cruiser--those who spend money and those who don't, resulting in that $27 average.

This morning, Jun 18, 2005, the Carnival Celebration was docked at the Hilton Pier. Swa it with my own eyes. Guess that means the cruise ships are back in Key West. Yesterday, I didn't see any cruise ships, but never made it to the dock area until after two, so maybe one came and left.

Key West, post Dennis, has taken on a look I never expected to see in this town of tropical splendor, that of late November in the north. The salt water spray has turned many trees leaves dark brown or blown them completely off. There are piles of broken limbs and piles of seaweed near Higgs Beach. But other than that, Key West is the same as always. If you have a cruise ship docking here soon, you will have a wonderful time.

Archived