Lets be fair on seat reservations

Just had one of those eureka moments. I am waiting to book our plane seats for our Caribbean cruise in February. Now thomsons rules are you can't reserve your seats until 90 days before your RETURN flight. So surely that means that passengers going on a week only

Cruise will get priority on the seats I.e. before I can reserve for my b2b two week cruise all the window seats will probably be gone to the passengers travelling for a week. I.e. they get access to reserve your seats a week before we do. We all pay the seat fees we should be able to reserve 83 days before we fly out that would be so much fairer. Looks like we will be stuck in the middle both ways. What do you all think about this in fact what do the Thomson cares team think of it. Is it fair.

Edited by infoqueen

the devil is in the detail.....its 'reserved seats together'.....select your seat to gurantee that your family/couples wont be split up around the aircraft

not select your preffered location

if you pay the supplement to select your seat thoms will only gurantee that you will be seated together not that you will be seated in your preffered location.....this is the reason I so dislike having to pay this supplement there are 6 of us (with grandma) I dont want my daughters and grandma sat miles away on their own (which has happened!)

so I grudgingly pay the supplement:(

also, because seats across the isle from each other are not classed as together we cannot book a whole row (abc/def) we have to book 2 rows! in the case of long haul 2 rows in the middle! or 3 rows by the window (if you can get a block of 3 rows together?....ever?)

and (on long haul especially) when the one weekers before us have all already booked their seats the week before..... we have no chance!.....we always end up right at the back, in the middle, by the toilets, nobody ever wants those:( and we have to pay for that luxury

Edited by geomagot

I believe the layout is 2 3 2 and as we are 2 couples travelling it would be better to have 2 window with the 2 adjoining aisle seats and I really do like to see the snow as we pass over Canada. Oh well it just seems unfair. THOMSON CARES Dan Leanne anybody what's the answer to this one

Shirley, We have never booked our seats. When we went to Majorca this year(both times) we were offered window or aisle seats. Not everyone books, so you should still be able to get window seats if you wish. We actually like aisle seats as you can get out to the loo :o:D

We don't bother to book seats on flights to Europe as flights are not too long but when the flights are 10/12 hours long I prefer to sit with my DH or friends so I pay to book seats together. Best to get to the airport early, then if you do not like the seats offered, there is a chance that you can change them. I have on a number of occasions.

My flight to the Caribbean from Newcastle is for 2 week holidays only, (I think) so we will all be booking at the same time. :)

the devil is in the detail.....its 'reserved seats together'.....select your seat to gurantee that your family/couples wont be split up around the aircraft

also, because seats across the isle from each other are not classed as together we cannot book a whole row (abc/def) we have to book 2 rows! in the case of long haul 2 rows in the middle! or 3 rows by the window (if you can get a block of 3 rows together?....ever?)

I think they are !! Or they certainly used to be ? When did that change ?

Seats together also means a couple sitting for example in 17C and 18C are sat together. This " sat together" also would be 17C and across the aisle in 17D. Obviously 17E and 17F are classed as together.

BUT In 17c and 18d they are classed as not together though.Likewise 17B and 18C.

not select your preffered location

if you pay the supplement to select your seat thoms will only gurantee that you will be seated together not that you will be seated in your preffered location.....this is the reason I so dislike having to pay this supplement there are 6 of us (with grandma) I dont want my daughters and grandma sat miles away on their own (which has happened!)

so I grudgingly pay the supplement:(

and (on long haul especially) when the one weekers before us have all already booked their seats the week before..... we have no chance!.....we always end up right at the back, in the middle, by the toilets, nobody ever wants those:( and we have to pay for that luxury

We have always pre-booked 3 seats together & 1 across the aisle Geo; never had problems at all doing that

We don't bother to book seats on flights to Europe as flights are not too long but when the flights are 10/12 hours long I prefer to sit with my DH or friends so I pay to book seats together. Best to get to the airport early, then if you do not like the seats offered, there is a chance that you can change them. I have on a number of occasions.

My flight to the Caribbean from Newcastle is for 2 week holidays only, (I think) so we will all be booking at the same time. :)

We have always had seats together, except coming back from the Caribbean in 2012 when DH was sat behind me. As it was over night, I slept most of the way back, anyway :rolleyes: Actually, I usually get more conversation out of strangers than DH :D:D

BTW if Thomson EVER get round to online day before check in, we can book in then and pick what we want can't we :confused:

I NEARLY gave in and booked seats when we went to Majorca in June, but the back row, which we like, was gone. I nearly booked the next row, but so glad I didn't as the back row was full of a family with screaming children!

I don't mind where I sit. If I did book, I would chose the back as it is near the loo and near the galley (sometimes!) and you get served first, lol

Just had one of those eureka moments. I am waiting to book our plane seats for our Caribbean cruise in February. Now thomsons rules are you can't reserve your seats until 90 days before your RETURN flight. So surely that means that passengers going on a week only

Cruise will get priority on the seats I.e. before I can reserve for my b2b two week cruise all the window seats will probably be gone to the passengers travelling for a week. I.e. they get access to reserve your seats a week before we do. We all pay the seat fees we should be able to reserve 83 days before we fly out that would be so much fairer. Looks like we will be stuck in the middle both ways. What do you all think about this in fact what do the Thomson cares team think of it. Is it fair.

I don't understand this. If customers cannot reserve seats until 90 days before the return flight then it does not matter how long holidays are for as seats are available from the same departure date less 90 days. All customers pre-booking seats have the same opportunity.

Len

I don't understand this. If customers cannot reserve seats until 90 days before the return flight then it does not matter how long holidays are for as seats are available from the same departure date less 90 days. All customers pre-booking seats have the same opportunity.

Len

It's 90 days before your RETURN flight Len :)

I just phoned them up, when the seats were open for the return flights for 7 day holidays, and booked seats for the outbound flight.

I then phoned up a week later to book seats for my return flight.

Simples.

this is a brilliant tip soda:cool::cool:.....why did I never think of that:o

Course it makes a difference...those on 7 day cruises can book 7 days before those on 14 days for the outbound flight..hence thy get first pick of the seats... Those on 14 day cruises can't book their seers until 7 days after...

Thank you for your clarification. So its equal opportunity for 14 day customers on return flights but on outward bound flights the 7 day customers have an advantage. I guess we agreed to this when booking.

It seems rediculous there are different ways round this as alluded to by various posts on this thread. Also presumably resort holiday customers (7 & 14 days) could be on the same flights and subject to the same 90 days rule.