Is the syrup still nasty?

cruisinmeme

So I'm the OP of the original syrup thread and it is crazy this is still being talked about (meaning NCL hasn't changed the syrup back).

This is not the difference between store bought "maple syrup" (Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth, etc) and real maple syrup - I am very clear on the difference in taste and quality between store bought and real. This NCL syrup is something completely different. It truly is one of the most disgusting tastes I have ever had. In talking with the restaurant management, they are very aware of the issue but apparently this is what NCL is making available.

Yes, the sugar-free tastes more like regular store bought syrup (albiet sugar free, but similar to the taste most are used to).

So I'm the OP of the original syrup thread and it is crazy this is still being talked about (meaning NCL hasn't changed the syrup back).

Yes, the sugar-free tastes more like regular store bought syrup (albiet sugar free, but similar to the taste most are used to).

I hope you're not offended that this has become very interesting to so many people. It may seem as though it has become trivialized but that, I believe, is only b/c there's nothing any of us can do. I really did go out and buy our real Canadian Maple Syrup to take on our upcoming cruise b/c DH loves his waffles and pancakes and to ruin them with something so obnoxious as this new NCL syrup would be ridiculous.

Not sure how much they bought of this stuff but I'll bet they wish it was less.

PS. We use a very nicely flavoured "no sugar added" syrup at home so it is an alternative, yes.

Edited by B6ConMe

I've read recently that the syrup is the same for the suites (Cagney's/Haven) as in the MDR's and Buffets ...it's why we're taking our own. Seriously... crazy I know...

Geez Louise! Think we'll be bringing our own too. Lived on Lake Champlain in Vermont for about 5 years and became serious about maple syrup. My kids insist on the real thing and it must be served warm........hey I spoil them a little!

I'd be happy if it was at least as good as most major brands of pancake syrup, Aunt Jemima's, IHOP, Mrs. Buttersworth, etc. But to hear so many people say it is way worse than those, not very encouraging.

I posted earlier and got one short answer, but it leave things ambiguous. When you are boarding the cruise ship, for anything you carry on, are the liquid limitations the same as the airline security, or are they just concerned about not bringing alcohol onboard.

If I had an 8oz bottle of syrup, sealed, would that be allowed through as carry on? Or if I had a backpack filled with sealed 16 oz, bottles of water, would those be allowed?

Where can I find specific information on what you can and cannot carry on, as well as the security processes for embarkation, (from Whittier, if that makes a difference), as well as each time you return to the ship in a port.

I'd be happy if it was at least as good as most major brands of pancake syrup, Aunt Jemima's, IHOP, Mrs. Buttersworth, etc. But to hear so many people say it is way worse than those, not very encouraging.

I posted earlier and got one short answer, but it leave things ambiguous. When you are boarding the cruise ship, for anything you carry on, are the liquid limitations the same as the airline security, or are they just concerned about not bringing alcohol onboard.

If I had an 8oz bottle of syrup, sealed, would that be allowed through as carry on? Or if I had a backpack filled with sealed 16 oz, bottles of water, would those be allowed?

Where can I find specific information on what you can and cannot carry on, as well as the security processes for embarkation, (from Whittier, if that makes a difference), as well as each time you return to the ship in a port.

You do not have the liquid limitations of airlines. You can bring full sized shampoo, mouthwash, etc. However if you are arriving by air, then you'll need to buy your non-alcoholic beverages or personal care products at a nearby store before embarking or while your visiting the various ports of call.

You can bring any amount of non-alcoholic beverages "within reasonable amounts" so I think syrup falls under this rule as long as it is factory sealed. Just be sure to bring it in your carry-on luggage. If you place it in your check-in luggage, it may be held aside by security where you'll be called to the naughty room for them to inspect it. I haven't read of anyone reaching the limit ;)

For a case of bottled water or soda, in some terminals you can slap a luggage tag on it and hand it to the porters for them to deliver to your cabin. A few dollars tip will help ensure this ;) However, be prepared to carry it on.

Edited by kylenyc

Geez Louise! Think we'll be bringing our own too. Lived on Lake Champlain in Vermont for about 5 years and became serious about maple syrup. My kids insist on the real thing and it must be served warm........hey I spoil them a little!

Do you think NCL will get the message if enough ppl bring their own MS?

The warm Maple Syrup is too funny. My DH had never had warm MS until I made him waffles and poured the warm MS on.....he was thrilled. :D

Guess they won't want to warm it for us though... have to do that in the sink before we go for brekky, LOL.

Do you think NCL will get the message if enough ppl bring their own MS?

The warm Maple Syrup is too funny. My DH had never had warm MS until I made him waffles and poured the warm MS on.....he was thrilled. :D

Guess they won't want to warm it for us though... have to do that in the sink before we go for brekky, LOL.

Warm maple syrup is that extra touch that says "I love you"!:)

I hope you're not offended that this has become very interesting to so many people. It may seem as though it has become trivialized but that, I believe, is only b/c there's nothing any of us can do. I really did go out and buy our real Canadian Maple Syrup to take on our upcoming cruise b/c DH loves his waffles and pancakes and to ruin them with something so obnoxious as this new NCL syrup would be ridiculous.

Not sure how much they bought of this stuff but I'll bet they wish it was less.

PS. We use a very nicely flavoured "no sugar added" syrup at home so it is an alternative, yes.

Oh no, not offended at all (but thanks for asking). Really just surprised that this syrup issue is still going on! Agreed they must hope they get to the end of this supply sometime soon. I'm mad that I forgot to put a note about this on my survey I got after the cruise (although that probably wouldn't help as I have been asking more tv channels for years and that hasn't happened! :))

Is the syrup just a bad flavor or does it seem tainted?

Apparently it is maple-flavored?

To me, it seemed like it was seriously spoiled and if it is maple-flavored, I couldn't tell. I originally thought we had a bad batch - like it had been heated up and cooled off hundreds of times and then served. I probably could have asked to see the label, but I had convinced myself that there was no way this could be on all NCL ships, so thought it didn't matter to do that much investigating.

It is nowhere even close to any of those major brands. Bring your own, major brand or real maple, if you really want some kind of tasty (to you) syrup and don't want to use the sugar-free!

It is nowhere even close to any of those major brands. Bring your own, major brand or real maple, if you really want some kind of tasty (to you) syrup and don't want to use the sugar-free!

You bringing the maple syrup for our cruise? :p

Don't forget to bring the special pancake plates with maple syrup reservoir.:D

pancake_plate.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

There is a solution....Target sells a 3.4 oz (ie, travel-sized) bottle of 100% pure maple syrup under its Archer Farms label. The words "grade A dark amber" are on the label. It might fall short of the mark for those of you raised in maple syrup country, but for those of us raised eating Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima syrup, it is a vast improvement.

:)

Oh no, not offended at all (but thanks for asking). Really just surprised that this syrup issue is still going on! Agreed they must hope they get to the end of this supply sometime soon. I'm mad that I forgot to put a note about this on my survey I got after the cruise (although that probably wouldn't help as I have been asking more tv channels for years and that hasn't happened! :))

Glad you weren't offended :)

Did you, by any chance, take the time to read the other thread regarding Maple Syrup? It too was quite serious, but .....

anyway it's just a little funny I think... I read it again when I need a laugh..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1939332&highlight=maple+syrup