For those of you recently sailed on the Jewel out of San Juan

scomar

I have read on here different times that you MUST be on the ship for the 8:30 departure. Some have said you must be on by 4pm or 5pm and yet others have said 8PM. From those of you that have recently cruised on the Jewel out of San Juan. What is the correct time you MUST be on the ship?

Thanks for making my cruising better.

Scomar

You must be on the ship at least 1.5 hour prior to departure or else they have the right to cancel your cruise.

I will be on the Jewel out of San Juan in January as well, cant wait!!

You must be checked in no later than 1.5 hours prior to departure or you may be denied boarding.

If you check in early, then you can leave the ship but must be back at least 30 minutes prior to departure. RCI uses PanAm pier as it's boarding facility. There is nothing there and you would have to take a taxi from the port.

You must be checked in no later than 1.5 hours prior to departure or you may be denied boarding.

If you check in early, then you can leave the ship but must be back at least 30 minutes prior to departure. RCI uses PanAm pier as it's boarding facility. There is nothing there and you would have to take a taxi from the port.

Thanks for claryfing. Thats what I tried to say :p

Ah, that's good to know. My family and I are sailing aboard Jewel this summer, and our flight is scheduled to land at 1:00 PM on the day of departure, so we were hoping to be able to check in, drop off our carry-ons in our rooms, and still have enough time to do a quick tour of Old San Juan. We're not making any definite plans yet, however.

But what time is the muster drill as the ship departs at 8:30pm? You must also be back in time for the muster or they wont let you sail.

Our experience on Adventure was muster at 5:30pm, with dinner that night moved to 6:30pm.

We just got off the Jewel last Saturday, and I want to say muster drill was at 5:30 (longer than usual for standing), and from there we went to 6pm dinner. This was the inaugural sailing for the captain, and I think he wanted to make certain all was covered! (Think Costa).

Oh, and we didn't have to bring the lifejackets.

Edited by Sailgal05

We just got off the Jewel last Saturday, and I want to say muster drill was at 5:30 (longer than usual for standing), and from there we went to 6pm dinner. This was the inaugural sailing for the captain, and I think he wanted to make certain all was covered! (Think Costa).

This is standard procedure on all RCI ships.

Edited by cruisenfever

Was your sailing schedule for a 8:30 PM departure? Just wondering since other on this thread are saying you have to be onboard an hour before departure. hmmmm?

Muster was at 8 and late seating dinner was at 845.

If you are checked in, already boarded, saw your cabin and left the ship to go to old San Juan, what is the deadline for getting back on the ship?

Sounds like you have done this cruise possibly:D

Thanks,

Scomar

Our travel docs for the Nov 2nd sailing stated that check-in would be between 1:00 pm - 7:00pm.

We arrived earlier, about noon, and had the fastest check-in ever. Up at Windjammer by 12:20 and all rooms were opened promptly at 1:00. Another pleasant surprise was that our luggage was sitting at our door by 2:00; not sure how long they had been sitting there.

We decided not to get off the ship, grab a taxi and go to Old SJ; a good choice since it began to pour for a few hours. Was fun exploring the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Capt Gustavo Feduzzi's first sailing as Captain was on the November 2-9, 2013, sailing of Jewel of the Jewel of the Seas - we were on that cruise. The muster drill was at 8 p.m. - as standard now, no lifejackets. If you had checked in and then went ashore, you had to be back on board 30 minutes before sailing - that is, by 8 pm. I think that you had to check in by 7pm but do not really know about that deadline from any personal experience.

Except at final disembarkation, never leave a ship anywhere without confirming as you exit when you need to be back on.

Maybe having a new Captain, he has the option to change procedures. Don't know.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Capt Gustavo Feduzzi's first sailing as Captain was on the November 2-9, 2013, sailing of Jewel of the Jewel of the Seas - we were on that cruise. The muster drill was at 8 p.m. - as standard now, no lifejackets. If you had checked in and then went ashore, you had to be back on board 30 minutes before sailing - that is, by 8 pm. I think that you had to check in by 7pm but do not really know about that deadline from any personal experience.

Except at final disembarkation, never leave a ship anywhere without confirming as you exit when you need to be back on.

Thank you both for clarifying and the great info!!

Scomar

But what time is the muster drill as the ship departs at 8:30pm? You must also be back in time for the muster or they wont let you sail.

DH and I were on Jewel this past July; we had two muster drills -- one at about 4:30pm for the earlier arrivals; then a second one later those that arrived at the ship much closer to port departure time.

If you have booked your airline travel through RCCL, and you are delayed they will either hold the ship a little bit until you can arrive (we have been on ships where this happened) or make arrangements for you to join the ship at a later port (obviously that is not what the cruiser is hoping for, but we have been on ships where this happened as well).

I am not sure with a 1pm arrival time on day of departure, you really have the time to leave the ship and go on a tour of Old San Juan. My suggestion is book the trip for the day you return from the cruise. That is what we did and the excursion ends at the airport and you meet up with your luggage at the airport. That worked wonderfully for us, back in July.

I am not sure with a 1pm arrival time on day of departure, you really have the time to leave the ship and go on a tour of Old San Juan. .

If someone checked in at 1:00 they could easily spend a few hours in Old San Juan and be back to the ship by 7:00. It's not far by taxi.

If someone checked in at 1:00 they could easily spend a few hours in Old San Juan and be back to the ship by 7:00. It's not far by taxi.

Yes, they have the time to spend a few hours in Old San Juan and get back to the ship by 7PM...but they were asking if they would have time to take one of the tours.

When we took a tour after returning from the cruise it got us off the ship as one of the first to be shuttled off the ship and we were taken back to the airport from the excursions at 2pm.

They could do their own walking tour of Old San Juan for sure (perhaps jump on and off the downtown shuttle), but if they want to be on a guided tour, they may struggle with the time slot on departure day.

We will be in San Juan two days prior (Thanksgiving Day) so we can relax before the cruise and get onboard as early as possible on the 30th. Would rather get basically another day onboard as opposed to rushing to get there then get back off the ship.