seasickness prevention and treatment

Marsude

Hi to all,

We are going on Rhapsody of the Seas over Christmas as our first ever cruise.

Although we doubt we will get sea sick ... it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Can you get Bonine in Australia ... I had US friends give me some years ago for a coast sailing on a small yacht and it is better than the Australian remedies. Also can you get the patches in Australia?

Many thanks

I'm sure some of our Aussie CC fans will be able to give you better info, but you should probably just ask your pharmacist. In Canada we can't buy Bonine (meclazine), so I have to make a stop at a drug store on the way from the airport to the ship. The patches are only by prescription here.

If neither of these are available, you wil probably find something like Gravol or Dramamine (active ingredient is dimenhydrinate).

I know that meclazine works very well. If nothing else, I'm pretty sure you could find it in the airport and 100% sure you can get it on the ship (but it will co$t more).

Anticdotally, green apples work, but that is more of a placebo effect over actual effecacy. I DO know that ginger is scientifically proven to be as effective as meclazine. I carry candied ginger with me and pop one in my mouth if I start to feel queasy.

The transdermal scapolomine is VERY effective, but does require a prescription and does carry some side effects. If you choose to go with the scapolomine, I might suggest you try it at home prior to your cruise....just in case you have a reaction to it. Better to be at home than on vacation!

Oh....and the scapolomine will dry out your mouth so much you won't be a le to spit!!!!! :eek:

Edited by CaroleSS

Hi to all,

We are going on Rhapsody of the Seas over Christmas as our first ever cruise.

Although we doubt we will get sea sick ... it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Can you get Bonine in Australia ... I had US friends give me some years ago for a coast sailing on a small yacht and it is better than the Australian remedies. Also can you get the patches in Australia?

Many thanks

Hi Marsude!

You will have a ball on this ship - we sailed on Rhapdsody doing a similar itinerary a couple of years ago. We've also sailed up to the islands from Sydney at the same time of the year, and it can be rough going for the first couple of days across the Coral Sea. It's cyclone season, and while the ships will usually try to skirt around a weather system, sometimes there's no where else to go but straight through it. A Force 8 storm for three days at the start of one of our other cruises saw the crew as well as passengers being very ill. We stayed in the Wheelhouse bar and drank G & Ts very slowly!

Even if you've never been sea sick on smaller vessels, check out with your local chemist if you can get any phenergen based medication over the counter. If not, go see your GP, get a script and fill it before you go. Some people use Avomine, which contains it.

Natural products such as ginger, apples etc assist in calming the symptoms of sea sickness, such as nausea and vomiting (funnily enough, ginger beer is very good) but these don't address the cause. That's where the full on pharmaceuticals really work. Your chemist should also have patches and wrist bands, but again, these do seem to have limited effect when you're in really bad weather.

So, hope for the best, but plan for the worst! We still take phenergen with us, even though we've not been sea sick on our cruises, and fingers crossed, never will be.

Erika