Early Meals or Box lunches?

tvmovielover

We are starting to work on the details for our Baltic Ports cruise next July. If this question has been asked, I apologize and will be happy to be directed to existing threads. In St Petersburg, we will be leaving the ship extra early 2 of the 3 days. What is the earliest you can get something breakfast like-I was going to ask anyway is there coffee available somewhere outside our own cabins very early? We may also need a lunch for our day at the Hermitage. Are such options available or should I save something in our little fridge? We will not have concierge or butler service but must make our own way. Thanks for any advice.

I am very relieved to know where there is coffee 24/7! I guess because most of our Europe trips have been by land, I never knew you could not bring your own food (since we often get stuff from markets or grocery stores). We do not object to the foods of different countries, we are trying to maximize our touring time in St Petersburg by not spending too much time sitting down and eating (I love zakuska but would trade the experience to see another room or two at the Hermitage). I am sure our tours will provide for us. And thanks again for all info.

When we use da private tour company in St. P, they brought us lunch menus when they picked us up in the morning, we selected what we wanted, and the food was ready right after we arrived at the restaurant, so lunch was pretty quick.

Can't all passengers order from the room service menu 24 hours a day? If you are leaving the ship very early you could probably order something that would be ok even if it isn't really breakfast food. They do have fruit and coffee on that menu. I could eat a ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast and it is on the menu.

I can only speak for the sailings we have been on, but when large numbers of people were scheduled for VERY early tours (6:15 AM), Terrace opened at 5 AM one morning. This was to accommodate the 13 hour tours to the pyramids on our Riviera, July 2012 ports of call in Egypt. I also seem to remember some flexing of the hours for ports in Israel.

On our Baltic cruise a couple of months ago when passengers were doing Moscow or Berlin day trips, Terrace again was open early in the morning and stayed open until midnight one night for the returning passengers.

I cannot remember exactly the conditions, but even the GDR opened early (6:30 or 7 AM I believe) a few times when many guests booked early tours.

And, as was mentioned, you have the 24/7 room service. Oceania certainly tries to keep their passengers comfortable!:p

Enjoy your cruise!

We toured with Red October several years ago and on both days they took us to a buffet type lunch as it was easier and faster than trying to understand menus.

They took us to an ATM on the first day so we could get money.

Both days the food was "interesting" and certainly part of the experience (and good as well). Just make it clear to them you want to try local places and not spend time in a fancy restaurant. They are very accommodating.

We did SPB, Moscow, then SPB over three days on the Marina this August. We just ordered a simple breakfast (with extra coffee) for very early. The day we went to Moscow we had to be out front at 5:00am to meet the driver to take us to the train station to catch our 6:15 am train. Worked well enough for us. Just tell the room service folks what's going on (e.g. you have a very early ground program) and they'll be there (in our case as early as 4:30am). Of course, tip the guy/gal who brings your food a few US $. Also when we got home REALLY late from Moscow (had to fly back as the train sold out) we did a midnight room service and it was quick and easy.

We stayed in a standard B3 Verandah on Marina so no "hot" breakfast for us but some cereal, fruit, breads and coffee and milk served us fine. You CAN NOT bring food off the ship, so forget that. Also, be prepared for the first day you are in Russia. The passport processing is pretty lengthy (25-30 minutes) and there are big lines. The CD and currents will make sure you are aware of this but just reiterating. It's not bad after that.

Edited by corpkid

I enjoyed your member review of your Baltic trip and am keeping several things you wrote in mind in planning our trip next July. So now I not only am thinking about the foodie thing in Helsinki if offered but know how to go about planning meals for Moscow day. Also, were there not food offerings on the Sapsan?

I enjoyed your member review of your Baltic trip and am keeping several things you wrote in mind in planning our trip next July. So now I not only am thinking about the foodie thing in Helsinki if offered but know how to go about planning meals for Moscow day. Also, were there not food offerings on the Sapsan?

Thanks for the nice note re: my review. That trip was a total blast! I suggest you spend a few days pre or post in the region. It's just fantastic. If you like food and/or cooking, DO NOT miss the Helsinki culinary excursion!!! One of the highlights of our trip (yes it is expensive, but SO worth it). As for the Sapsan - the food offerings are paltry. Think "worse than Amtrak" :) We all just had coffee then slept. Also if you on the train there is wi-fi. HOWEVER, to activate it, you must be able to receive a text message code, which if you don't have an international phone/plan won't work. Overall, the Sapsan was pretty comfortable, though. You are going to LOVE this trip! :)