Spirit - Family review

Baxter5

Got off the Carnival Spirit on Saturday. Had read some negative reviews prior but we experienced none of them. We are 2A+2C (9&11) and usually holiday in 4-5 star. We stayed in a Deck 6 Quad balcony (about 2/3s along). We found the room big enough for us and pleasantly laid out.

We had no problem with the ship's decore. We actually found it enjoyable to look at. Kind of festive and fun with some regal touches throughout.

Staff were great. Friendly, helpful, etc. No problem with Stu (Cruise Director). Only 2 staff were a bit less than others in standard (MDR) but not enough to really bother us. The others made us feel valued and special.

We enjoyed the food. All was hot, arrived quickly, tasty etc. We had anytime dining in the MDR, which worked well for us. Our kids enjoyed the adult menus but kids ones were also an option. We liked "show time" too. Something different each time. Lines at the buffet were short. We appreciated the different "stations" dotted around. If one was busy, we just went to a different one in another section (some had the same foods). The pizzas were excellent. Heard numerous people say they were the best pizzas they've ever had. We agreed. They are fairly basic but very tasty. Ate at the steakhouse. Very nice for adults but the menu wasn't particularly child-friendly. They still enjoyed the experience though.

We enjoyed the shows we went to, particularly the illusionist. The penguin juggler was also good, as was Q.

The ship was fully booked but never felt crowded. About 700 kids onboard but they were well behaved. Didn't experience any issues with lift buttons or running around the ship as others have reported.

Shore excursions ran smoothly. Ticket system for tenders was simple and worked well. I recommend getting your ticket early if you're keen to get going on your site seeing.

We found the whole ship ran efficiently and was easy to navigate. Pleased we did it and were sad to say goodbye. It's definitely geared towards families so that demographic should enjoy it. If you're looking more for classes and seminars, there are some but not many.

Happy to answer other questions.

Sounds like you had a great holiday:). I have enjoyed all my cruises and I have always read bad reviews for all the ships I have been on as well as a few positive ones for the ships. You have to take them with a grain of salt there is nothing like trying out a ship for yourself to see if it suits you.

Now for my question were there any couples onboard without children?

Karryl

Thanks for your review and I am pleased that you didn't let the negative reports affect your cruise.

A review is after all, just one persons point of view as they see it. It's best to go for the ride and take things as they come. :p

Yay for you glad you had a great holiday we thought the same as you and love our holiday on carnival spirit we did a b2b 20 days in march this year and are booked again in January 2014 for another b2b 20 days and we are really excited about going again we have 2 kids 11 and 15 and they never got bored they love it my 11 year old cried his eyes out the night before we got off and one of the dinning staff cried with him poor girl had 2 boys of her own and she is away from them for long periods of time and she still had a big smile and served us dinner every night my kid have begged us to take them back again and so we booked again they don't know yet as it's there Christmas present we booked in June so it's killing me not telling them lol they will only have 35 days from Christmas and were off

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can I ask if you did a tour in Noumea? and what was the weather was like while you were there? Did any of your family get seasick at all during the cruise.

We did the City Highlights and Aquarium. Then we spent time around the city centre. The weather was good. A bit drizzly when we docked but fine and sunny from about 9:30am.

No one got sea sick. We had very flat waters for the whole trip. We took tablets / Phenergen for the first couple of days but then stopped. You definitely feel the waves more at the front of the boat but it wasn't upsetting for us.

Friend came back a couple of weeks ago. They won the cruise, not the shirt of thing they would ever choose normally.

They found the meals very good, room fine ( extended balcony) and staff friendly...her overall assessment - Floating RSL Club - nice if you like that sort of thing. They had a nice time no real complaints at all, just not their style.

Hi Baxter5. What cabin number & deck were you on? We will be about 13 cabins from the front on deck 7. Will take my Avomine & hope they work as well this time. Suexxx

Hi sue I took avomine worked great for me we were in 7105 and 7107

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Baxter5. What cabin number & deck were you on? We will be about 13 cabins from the front on deck 7. Will take my Avomine & hope they work as well this time. Suexxx

Hi Sue,

we were on the spirit three weeks ago, I was also taking avomine but it didn'y work and i was funny in the head for the first day, so i went to the medical bay and got Meclizine, $3.20 for two days worth and they worked an absolute treat, they are also available from the service desk on deck two. we had cabin 6273 which is at the back of the ship.

Cheers maree