Magic Portholes - how often disney images

Trekker954

My (adult) daughter really wants us to try Disney Dream 3 nighter, however, she insists on getting the inside with the magic porthole.

I've watched the amazing you tube video which says the images appear about every 15 minutes. Then I read a review where it says they only saw the image about two times a day (granted they may have been out of the room most of the time, but they didn't think much of it.) So I'm wondering for those that have actually been in those rooms how often do you think the Disney images appear? Also does the Deluxe 10A have magic portholes. I read somewhere only the 11class does. but the website looks like the 10A also.

We'll probably do this in January. This will be our first Disney. Really excited. I have no young children/grandchildren. We can drive up to Canaveral in 3 hours. I prefer bigger ships, that is why we chose the Dream. There are gty rates right now, or should we hold out for Resident rate which I see often happens for January and Feb. sailings. It may mean $100 less that even the gty rate.

Edited by Trekker954

I can't answer your question about the frequency of the characters since we have not yet done an inside stateroom on the Dream class ships.

However, I can tell you that all insides (including the category 10s) have the magical porthole. If you choose a 10A, or other deluxe inside, yes there will be a magical porthole. If you insist on having an inside stateroom than you will want to note on your reservation that you do not want an upgrade.

This is where things will get tricky. If you book a *GT rate, then Disney assigns your room and that's it. The *GT rate guarantees you a room in that category...at minimum. Oftentimes that is what you end up with; however Disney can put you in a higher category, such as an ocean view or balcony, and that's final. They do not budge (much) on moving folks to a different stateroom once they are assigned. You could always call DCL with your reservation and request with the CM you speak with to note on the reservation you want an inside stateroom; not sure that will help, but it's worth a shot.

Having said all that, the FL rates are typically the best ones you will come by. Will they be released for your particular sailing? Who knows! End of January FL rates have been out for a second week now, but nothing into February. If you book the *GT rate, you cannot switch it to the FL rate. It's basically a chance game at this point, and one you will need to decide works best for you.

Hope this all helps with your planning!

Thanks Cindy. I appreciate the information. I'm very savy on Royal/Celebrity pricing and assumed gty rates are pretty much run the same way regardless of cruise lines.

Why would Disney upgrade us if we've never sailed with them EVER. I guess I assumed if we chose an inside gty rate we'd end up in a category 11, possibly 10; but didn't think they'd put us in a OV. yuck. Don't want that at all. The fact is the gty rates aren't much more for a balcony, but Em wants to experience that inside cabin which is unique to Disney ships and frankly I would love to experience it also.

Thanks Cindy. I appreciate the information. I'm very savy on Royal/Celebrity pricing and assumed gty rates are pretty much run the same way regardless of cruise lines.

Why would Disney upgrade us if we've never sailed with them EVER. I guess I assumed if we chose an inside gty rate we'd end up in a category 11, possibly 10; but didn't think they'd put us in a OV. yuck. Don't want that at all. The fact is the gty rates aren't much more for a balcony, but Em wants to experience that inside cabin which is unique to Disney ships and frankly I would love to experience it also.

Oh, wait! So you are looking at regular GTY rates? Those differ from the *GT rates. The GTY rates are the same as other cruise lines. You basically book those as if you are making a regular booking and DCL will put you in a stateroom at least that category if not higher - again, an upgrade is possible. Those rates have more flexibility. The *GT rates are reduced rates that come out last minute (usually after final payment date has passed). Again, stateroom at minimum of what you booked.

We were upgraded on our very first Disney cruise back in 2000. Booked an inside stateroom GTY and ended up in a Navigator's verandah. It's not common, but does seem to happen more on Disney than any other cruise line. If you are booking either GTY or *GT, again I would suggest to call Disney even if you do book online and have it added to your reservation you want an inside stateroom. If it's GTY, Disney will be better about honoring your request. I don't have personal experience with *GT, but I would assume the same could be said about that. :)

When we were on the Fantasy, the "magic" seemed to happen about every 30 minutes. You get a sort of pixie dust flash pattern on the screen that alerts you that it will happen in a few seconds. Honestly, it was rather cute. And a switch will turn it off at night.

As noted, GTY is totally different than *GT booking. A GTY means that the category you want is nearly sold out; you pay the standard price and it is an unrestricted booking. An IGT sells at a serious discount but is a restricted fare; read the fine print carefully before booking.

Thanks so much. I definitely thought it was a GTY, but I suppose I was looking at a IGT rate, which I though in Disney terms that meant GTY. We are looking at a month away. Either one looks like DCL will select our cabin. I will speak with my daughter and see what she wants to do. If I go this route and they stick us in an OV, I don't want her mad at me. :eek:

• 2 months later...

I bet this has pissed off a lot of DCL Imagineers shoreside after the Magic's "Reimagining" when they could have done this as Royal have:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5718

The Virtual Balconies comprise wall-sized high-definition TVs displaying real-time views of the ocean and the ship's ports of call.

Kind of rains on Mickey's parade with only a circle of a tiny weeny 32" monitor serving as a porthole in they're newest ships, then skipping the opportunity for even a porthole on the insides of the Magic totally, when they at Royal have done so much more in a shorter amount of time.......

Says a lot about the shoreside folks at DCL ;)

And the longevity the line put in her.

ex techie

....Kind of rains on Mickey's parade ....

How can it? .... It's Disney characters that show up in the magic portholes. Who shows up in the virtual balcony? I have a suspicion who might, but I won't say, I don't want the thread to be closed. lol. ;)

Therefore, it obviously lacks the Magic, and it's only 1/2 the cost. :p Then, ...

DCL is twice as much. :) So... DCL must be worth it ......

It must be lame then on RCCL. lol. RCCL must be .......

:D

How can it? .... It's Disney characters that show up in the magic portholes. Who shows up in the virtual balcony? I have a suspicion who might, but I won't say, I don't want the thread to be closed. lol. ;)

Therefore, it obviously lacks the Magic, and it's only 1/2 the cost. :p Then, ...

DCL is twice as much. :) So... DCL must be worth it ......

It must be lame then on RCCL. lol. RCCL must be .......

:D

I too have the same suspicions as you, and I can only hope it has pushed the Imagineers, technical shoreside and the bean counters into a corner of a meeting room for some very serious conversations.

Future innovations that others can and will copy, Scrimping on a re-imagination should be a very big reminder that they cannot patent or copyright everything, so they need to keep ahead of other lines, think a little bit bigger, and the bean counters need to dig a whole lot deeper, and create new magic if they want to keep that price so high and pioneer.

A copy of a slide from landside x2, and new decor and venue names wont cut it on the new ships.

ex techie

I too have the same suspicions as you, and I can only hope it has pushed the Imagineers, technical shoreside and the bean counters into a corner of a meeting room for some very serious conversations.

Future innovations that others can and will copy, Scrimping on a re-imagination should be a very big reminder that they cannot patent or copyright everything, so they need to keep ahead of other lines, think a little bit bigger, and the bean counters need to dig a whole lot deeper, and create new magic if they want to keep that price so high and pioneer.

A copy of a slide from landside x2, and new decor and venue names wont cut it on the new ships.

ex techie

The reports of shabby cabins on recent Magic sailings have me a little worried. We were told that the guest cabins were to be completely torn apart and re-done. From the reports, it appears that little more was done than to replace the beds. This is frightening because thing were in need of some serious work in August 2013.

A decision to not install the magic portholes is one thing. To not replace worn carpet, refinish scuffed wood, etc. is a different matter all together.

Edited by moki'smommy

The reports of shabby cabins on recent Magic sailings have me a little worried. We were told that the guest cabins were to be completely torn apart and re-done. From the reports' date=' it appears that little more was done than to replace the beds. This is frightening because thing were in need of some serious work in August 2013.

A decision to not install the magic portholes is one thing. To not replace worn carpet, refinish scuffed wood, etc. is a different matter all together.[/quote']

I would think, not know, that the top end Staterooms were refinished, not torn apart, gutted back to bare-bones, and re-installed.

I suspect your right that little more than some sanding, clearcoat, retiling where absolutely necessary, new bed/new sofabed took place in Cadiz.

It was a long drydock IMO due to the major mechanical and engineering replacements. Not a facelift.

I still stand by my previous comment and previous comments that the Magic will be retired in the next few years. And I'm happy to be shown to be wrong if she is not by 2017/8 at the latest.

I also wonder if the Wonder will ever get her re-imagineered drydock before she is retired.

ex techie

Why would Disney upgrade us if we've never sailed with them EVER...

Because it makes the most sense. If you have multiple (or even a single) cruise(s) with them under your belt they know you like the product and are likely to return. If they give the upgrade to a first time cruiser they feel that cruiser will be more likely to return.

The downside to this is you end up with some people who will stop sailing with a line if they don't get an upgrade.

Because it makes the most sense. If you have multiple (or even a single) cruise(s) with them under your belt they know you like the product and are likely to return. If they give the upgrade to a first time cruiser they feel that cruiser will be more likely to return.

The downside to this is you end up with some people who will stop sailing with a line if they don't get an upgrade.

The only logic that anyone has ever come up with regarding upgrades (beyond that it is done to facilitate DCL's inventory) is that people are more likely to be upgraded on their second cruise than any other. If you book that inside cabin with the logic that we had a great time before and can save some money on the first or second cruise and then they give you the upgrade...suddenly it is "oh yeah, this is REALLY nice and we need to spend more next time." And guess what? It works.

• 2 weeks later...
The reports of shabby cabins on recent Magic sailings have me a little worried. We were told that the guest cabins were to be completely torn apart and re-done. From the reports' date=' it appears that little more was done than to replace the beds. This is frightening because thing were in need of some serious work in August 2013.

A decision to not install the magic portholes is one thing. To not replace worn carpet, refinish scuffed wood, etc. is a different matter all together.[/quote']

We were on the Magic a couple of weeks ago. The staterooms have new beds, and new carpets. Concierge rooms have new couches, chairs, tables etc too. Not sure about the regular room couches. Instead of the steamer trunk there is a different set of drawers. Much more useful!

They really needed to repaint some of the staterooms on the Magic but we had a large group and none of their stateroom walls had been repainted. :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Magic a couple of weeks ago. The staterooms have new beds, and new carpets. Concierge rooms have new couches, chairs, tables etc too. Not sure about the regular room couches. Instead of the steamer trunk there is a different set of drawers. Much more useful!

They really needed to repaint some of the staterooms on the Magic but we had a large group and none of their stateroom walls had been repainted. :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the update...maybe they'll get some interior painting done before our cruise. The best way to get action on this sort of thing is to mention the deficit to the appropriate officer (this is why it is important to pay attention on the first night when they do the introductions). When you see the dudes with the braid on their shoulders around the ship, a quick mention usually results in action--they carry a note pad and will write down your cabin number.

We've had minor painting happen this way and last summer when they were supposedly "out" of diet coke to the extent of not even serving it in the dining rooms, we had several cans delivered to our cabin! I asked on the evening of a port day whether they had been able to get any yet. The head of dining turned to his assistant and told him to have some delivered to us!

Yeah, this was a Med flub. It seems that their supplies were not waiting in one of the ports as they expected. First, all the diet coke in the dispensers was out, then it was out in the dining rooms. We did get some in Palo, but were told that all the supplies had been sent there. None was available at the bars, etc. And eventually we were told that they had purchased more syrup in one of the ports, but the connectors wouldn't fit on the ship's machinery! They supposedly bought up all they could get in that day and hoped for appropriate supplies on the next port day. That's when they went to cans which again, they bought in bulk in port. It was actually interesting to see the lengths they went to.

Sorry, long story.

Bottom line--if you have a room issue, mention it to the head of hotel services. If a food situation, speak to the head of dining. You DO see these people around the ship. They are readily available in the lobby in the evenings.