Repositioning cruises - which is the best way to go and why?

Skipper Tim

I hope travelberlin will forgive my liberty in quoting from another thread but it seemed an excellent way to start this discussion which I know a select few of us want to have.

I am also waiting. I hope the ships will not reposition too late. I will prefer one early Oktober, since there is when I find the weather is cold enough for me in Europe ( OK northern Europe...)

Agreed, but at least at the end of Summer the sea and hence the sea air are still mild, unlike in our Spring.

Although I would prefer to get the long-haul flight over with before the cruise, implying a repo to Europe, starting off in hot sunshine and gradually returning to cold and rain is somewhat depressing.

I like both ways.

I have enjoyed very much going from South America to Europe at spring time in Europe. This was also the time in which in South America the cold weather was arriving.

However, when it gets cold in Germany it is lovely to move to warm South America and enjoy the nice weather there.

I have noticed however that most ships repositioning to South America leave only in November. As a matter of fact there is one repositioning with Royal Caribbean on Nov. 22nd in which I am interested. However I am waiting to see if MSC offers something earlier. For me November is already too cold in Germany...

Edited by travelberlin

I would like to try an Autumn repo, but the boys are not off school at the correct time, so that will need to wait until they have flown the nest!

Wr have done 3 Florida to Europe TAs and have had really good weather for each of them. It can be windy on the sea days, but imagine that is the case both ways. It is quite easy to find a spot our of the wind and then it is bliss. We have also been lucky with the weather when we have arrived in Europe. Next year we are doing Brazil to Venice, but a few weeks earlier than usual, due to the boys' holidays. MSC repo for the first time as no RCI ones available when we needed them. In preparation for that we did a pre TA week on Poesia in the Caribbean last year to see if we liked MSC, and we did!

I would like to try an Autumn repo, but the boys are not off school at the correct time, so that will need to wait until they have flown the nest!

Wr have done 3 Florida to Europe TAs and have had really good weather for each of them. It can be windy on the sea days, but imagine that is the case both ways. It is quite easy to find a spot our of the wind and then it is bliss. We have also been lucky with the weather when we have arrived in Europe. Next year we are doing Brazil to Venice, but a few weeks earlier than usual, due to the boys' holidays. MSC repo for the first time as no RCI ones available when we needed them. In preparation for that we did a pre TA week on Poesia in the Caribbean last year to see if we liked MSC, and we did!

Just bear in mind the ship will probably still be in 'Brazilian mode' (food, drinks, music, dancing, entertainment etc.) and have quite a different feel to it. Also, more experienced MSC repo guests than I tell me that the Northbound repos tend to attract a significant contingent of young Brazilians heading for Europe for the Summer and they know how to party!

I loved my MSC repos and I am looking forward to the next - in March.

Thanks Tim.

All sounds good to me. The boys will certainly enjoy the younger vibe! maybe the steak will be better too.

After a bit of hassle trying to organise my pre cruise trip to Japan, I have at last booked BA flight for myself to Tokyo and back to Sao Paulo. Stu and the boys are still doing the Iberia Avios, Madrid to Sao Paulo, but I now have the difficult task of trying to explain to Iberia Plus in Spain that only want to cancel my part. We have two separate bookings so that we could make use of the Blue tickets for two of us. Fortunately I was economy, so shouldn't need to pay to cancel, but one of our sons is on my booking so need to keep his part of it. Have tried to email this morning, but imagine I will need to call them :confused:.

Thanks Tim.

All sounds good to me. The boys will certainly enjoy the younger vibe! maybe the steak will be better too.

After a bit of hassle trying to organise my pre cruise trip to Japan, I have at last booked BA flight for myself to Tokyo and back to Sao Paulo. Stu and the boys are still doing the Iberia Avios, Madrid to Sao Paulo, but I now have the difficult task of trying to explain to Iberia Plus in Spain that only want to cancel my part. We have two separate bookings so that we could make use of the Blue tickets for two of us. Fortunately I was economy, so shouldn't need to pay to cancel, but one of our sons is on my booking so need to keep his part of it. Have tried to email this morning, but imagine I will need to call them :confused:.

Earn, if there is still availability, you could more easily just cancel the two of you and rebook him. You know what call centres can be like. Or perhaps book him first, then cancel - to be on the safe side.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Tim,

Thanks, good idea but I don't have enough Iberia airmiles, and don't really want to transfer more over. Think it is not too easy to get them back from what I remember.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :).

Tim,

Thanks, good idea but I don't have enough Iberia airmiles, and don't really want to transfer more over. Think it is not too easy to get them back from what I remember.

I have transferred Avios in both directions (Iberia+ & BAEC) without issue. It takes about two seconds either way.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :).

You haven't - it is all repo cruise related.

Well I like both directions too.

Autumn is easier for me to plan ahead for as I can only request annual leave formthe following year around Oct/Nov. however spring repos back to Europe get the nasty long haul flight and jet lag out the way first..

If I had enough annual leave I'd do both directions each year. Most use up 3 weeks which is doable twice but only leaves a week formthe rest of the year..

I'd really like to do the Suez at some point after the re routed Armonia. t would also enjoy returning to South Africa or South America. The Antilles is also a possibility too (sailing from Martinique or DR not the US sailings on Divina).

Just want to see the 2014 Autumn schedules!

Well I like both directions too.

Autumn is easier for me to plan ahead for as I can only request annual leave formthe following year around Oct/Nov. however spring repos back to Europe get the nasty long haul flight and jet lag out the way first..

If I had enough annual leave I'd do both directions each year. Most use up 3 weeks which is doable twice but only leaves a week formthe rest of the year..

I'd really like to do the Suez at some point after the re routed Armonia. t would also enjoy returning to South Africa or South America. The Antilles is also a possibility too (sailing from Martinique or DR not the US sailings on Divina).

Just want to see the 2014 Autumn schedules!

We will be doing a 2014 Autumn repo. It will be to wherever is the warmest preferably on a ship we haven't yet tried.

If doing a repo to South/A from Europe for the first time which route would you suggest ?

In terms of final destination from Europe with MSC you have 2 options either Buenos Aires or Santos. More ships reposition to Santos, so you have more options in terms of sail date, prices and size of the ship. I prefer Buenos Aires, because I find the city interesting and because, if I want to go directly to the airport it is closer and a taxi costs less than when you arrive in Santos. Unfortunately MSC has up to now only one ship moving to Argentina.

Departure ports in Europe are several. You can board for example in Venice, Genoa and Barcelona. I like to board either in Venice or Barcelona because those ports are easier to access per plane from Germany.

Ports of calls in a repositioning cruise to South America with MSC might be Arrecife, Recife, Salvador de Bahia, Buzios and Rio.

I hope it helps a little bit.

In terms of final destination from Europe with MSC you have 2 options either Buenos Aires or Santos. More ships reposition to Santos, so you have more options in terms of sail date, prices and size of the ship. I prefer Buenos Aires, because I find the city interesting and because, if I want to go directly to the airport it is closer and a taxi costs less than when you arrive in Santos. Unfortunately MSC has up to now only one ship moving to Argentina.

Departure ports in Europe are several. You can board for example in Venice, Genoa and Barcelona. I like to board either in Venice or Barcelona because those ports are easier to access per plane from Germany.

Ports of calls in a repositioning cruise to South America with MSC might be Arrecife, Recife, Salvador de Bahia, Buzios and Rio.

I hope it helps a little bit.

Agreed, Santos is an absolute pain to transfer to/from Sao Paulo airport. Rio airport is very handy for the cruise terminal - I timed it at just 13 minutes by taxi.

Agreed, Santos is an absolute pain to transfer to/from Sao Paulo airport. Rio airport is very handy for the cruise terminal - I timed it at just 13 minutes by taxi.

I've avoided Santos so far just because of the transfer time. Rio is very easy and BA convenient too.

I was swaying towards another SA repo in Autumn next year but if the orchestra (or will it be Poesia) doing a repo to Dubai, I'll probably go for that and do SA again in 2015.

I've avoided Santos so far just because of the transfer time. Rio is very easy and BA convenient too.

I was swaying towards another SA repo in Autumn next year but if the orchestra (or will it be Poesia) doing a repo to Dubai, I'll probably go for that and do SA again in 2015.

Have you decided against the Dubai (or wherever it will be) to Fremantle repo?

I also love hotels in the Winter so I am likely to have one hotel break, one cruise and then an extended stay at the house in Greece - unless the bargain is so great I cannot resist.

Have you decided against the Dubai (or wherever it will be) to Fremantle repo?

I also love hotels in the Winter so I am likely to have one hotel break, one cruise and then an extended stay at the house in Greece - unless the bargain is so great I cannot resist.

Not so much decided against Dubai to Fremantle as not able to do it, I'm still! Working and short of redundancy, I will be. There is just no way I can have that much time off. If they sell in it segments then I will do part of it. That wants stoop me doing a repo in 2014 down to Dubai as it will be in a different holiday year at work.

Of course it will all depend on whether they will be available to book from the UK and at what price.

Not so much decided against Dubai to Fremantle as not able to do it, I'm still! Working and short of redundancy, I will be. There is just no way I can have that much time off. If they sell in it segments then I will do part of it. That wants stoop me doing a repo in 2014 down to Dubai as it will be in a different holiday year at work.

Can't you claim maternity leave?

Of course it will all depend on whether they will be available to book from the UK and at what price.

Yes, exactly. Also the ship. I feel, I am leaning away from larger ships, or perhaps that is just the Divina threads putting me off.

Can't you claim maternity leave?

Yes, exactly. Also the ship. I feel, I am leaning away from larger ships, or perhaps that is just the Divina threads putting me off.

Lol! Think you actually have to be pregnant for that and if that were to happen at my age, then look out for 3 strangely dressed men riding camels coming form the East!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update here regarding my experience cancelling my Iberia flight from Madrid to Sao Paulo.

I couldn't cancel without calling Iberia in Spain. I tried the cal centre in the UK, facebook and emailing Iberia Plus in Spain. None of these things worked, so I had to call. I have no Spanish, so was dreading this, and the cost to call Spain (I am a very tight Scot with these types of things).

However, it was a breeze. First you get a whole blurb in Spanish from the recorded message and I wonder how I will ever know what number to press. I intended to just hang on the line and hope, but immediately after the Spanish the recording told me to press 2 if I wanted to communicate in English. My request was quite complicated as I had two booking, so that I could make use of the two cheaper blue flight which were available. I wanted to cancel only my part of the second booking and have them allocate a seat to the son who was on that booking next to my husband. It was so easy, and today I have my 30K Avios refunded and also a refund for the Tax etc in my American Express account. the whole thing cost me about £15. Now I need to cancel my Easyjet flight to Madrid. I expect to get the fees and baggage fee back, which to be honest was most of the cost. Does anyone know the best way to go about that?

I think I will just keep my Avios with Iberia as their Tax is so much less and with a family account I think it is a little less easy to return them to BA, though I believe it is possible through Airmile Avios.

I am going to have a pretty awful day flying from Tokyo to Sao Paulo, but will arrive about an hour before the rest of my family all being well. Would be great to be upgraded. Thought I might have more chance of that if I am on my own, but probably wishful thinking.

I would not have considered the Iberia route were it not for Tim, so thanks again for that advice.

Thought I'd give an update here regarding my experience cancelling my Iberia flight from Madrid to Sao Paulo.

I couldn't cancel without calling Iberia in Spain. I tried the cal centre in the UK, facebook and emailing Iberia Plus in Spain. None of these things worked, so I had to call. I have no Spanish, so was dreading this, and the cost to call Spain (I am a very tight Scot with these types of things).

However, it was a breeze. First you get a whole blurb in Spanish from the recorded message and I wonder how I will ever know what number to press. I intended to just hang on the line and hope, but immediately after the Spanish the recording told me to press 2 if I wanted to communicate in English. My request was quite complicated as I had two booking, so that I could make use of the two cheaper blue flight which were available. I wanted to cancel only my part of the second booking and have them allocate a seat to the son who was on that booking next to my husband. It was so easy, and today I have my 30K Avios refunded and also a refund for the Tax etc in my American Express account. the whole thing cost me about £15. Now I need to cancel my Easyjet flight to Madrid. I expect to get the fees and baggage fee back, which to be honest was most of the cost. Does anyone know the best way to go about that?

I think I will just keep my Avios with Iberia as their Tax is so much less and with a family account I think it is a little less easy to return them to BA, though I believe it is possible through Airmile Avios.

I am going to have a pretty awful day flying from Tokyo to Sao Paulo, but will arrive about an hour before the rest of my family all being well. Would be great to be upgraded. Thought I might have more chance of that if I am on my own, but probably wishful thinking.

I would not have considered the Iberia route were it not for Tim, so thanks again for that advice.

Thanks for the update and I glad you have been able to sort it all out.

Household accounts do complicate Avios transfers and yes, Iberia is as good a place as any to leave them given the much lower taxes and fees.

Incidentally, there is this great new resource showing good (and bad) uses of Avios from the hubs of One World alliance airlines, including Madrid:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1527161-selecting-redemption-destinations-edges-pricing-bands.html

May catch you on a repo one day!

Tim.