Royal Princess Review Caribbean November 10, 2013

dedosr

Very true.

That's why the Carnival Ecstasy has so many lovers.

My point was: a good impression of the report has been spoiled by a generalization that has nothing to do with the reality.:)

Lapsus (like that one in the end) often turn the whole reviews into different light.

You certainly seem remarkably informed on cruise ships in general and many of us appreciate the work you have put in. In reading several threads about the Royal, I've come across the comment that the lack of a wrap-around promenade deck is a result of "new regulations". Is there any truth to this? In other words, are we seeing the end of the traditional promenade deck on ALL new builds?

Just got off of Royal and Cabin M103 (front of ship above Bridge) was great. Used balcony even at sea! Balcony big compare to others (10' x 9'.) You can use unless you are in a storm or very high winds. Ship is beautiful. Some minor complaints:

1. Getting on was very long.

2. No shade on pool deck and Retreat pool.

3. When will Princess replace the shower curtains with shower doors?

4. Why not allow passengers to view Charges on TV rather than signing in to another web site, even though it is frew?

Just having spent a week on board as you did, I'm not sure I'd agree with the finality of the blanket generalization that there's no shade in the Retreat or pool area. The ship moves relative to the sun, the sun moves overhead, but there were always shaded areas in either location, typically outboard and not immediately around the pool. Apologies for the small JPG attached, but note all the shaded loungers to the right. Due to the crowds, there may not have been many shaded loungers available, I agree, and there could be MORE shaded areas. And on the pool deck, the seating that was always shaded were tables, chairs, and sofas, and lots of them.

Agree, embarkation was lengthy. We arrived at 10:30, and not being Platinum or Elite, weren't allowed on board until 12:15. At least 30 minutes of that was spent outside in line in the noisy, stinky bus area, going from the shuttle to check-in, and the rest was sitting in the waiting room for our boarding group to be called. If you're in a hurry to board,as we were in our futile attempt to grab the Sanctuary, make sure you watch for your group being called, they don't actually call them out; we pretty much had to be mind readers to know that they were letting Group 2 board, as the only indication was one of the boarding agents silently holding up a small Group 2 card. There are multiple, angular waiting room areas, and we could have easily missed it. On the whole, the check-in process is something that should be relatively easy to improve, let's hope Princess gets the message. The actual check-in was pretty quick, and the gentleman booking us in was a real hoot. Another true credit to the Princess name.

494936627_RoyalPool.jpg.ded1d10c0051c8e0a1838e2e8894d8ad.jpg

Why not allow passengers to view Charges on TV rather than signing in to another web site, even though it is frew?

Access to the intranet site is password protected & with the remote having limited buttons doubt if it would be easy for most passengers to input a password to access their onboard account.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just got off of Royal and Cabin M103 (front of ship above Bridge) was great. Used balcony even at sea! Balcony big compare to others (10' x 9'.) You can use unless you are in a storm or very high winds. Ship is beautiful. Some minor complaints:

1. Getting on was very long.

2. No shade on pool deck and Retreat pool.

3. When will Princess replace the shower curtains with shower doors?

4. Why not allow passengers to view Charges on TV rather than signing in to another web site, even though it is frew?

It was very easy to check my account via the phone. Once it was set up, and had auto fill on, all I had to do was to click "log in". I then had complete access to the onboard accounts. You do not have to log in to see all of the other options, such as events, etc.

You do not have to log in to see all of the other options, such as events, etc.

Thanks for clarifying my vague post about the intranet being password protected which is only true to access our onboard folio but none of the other great options. :)

Good review, most of it was subjective, but still good. I have to laugh at the review of softserve and Gelato icecream.

Except for the buffet, we thought the food overall was better than most Princess ships. The buffet is about the same of past cruises for us. That is also subjective.

Factual, the soot problem is a real problem. We couldn't use our balcony as a result. However, we were told Princess will have that fixed in just a few months.

The staff service was our number one complaint. There is another thread about it going on, so I won't spend a lot of time on it. But we felt it problematic enough that it took away from some of our cruise experience. It's one thing if it is just single trip experience, but if the service on the Royal is indicative of the future Princess cruises, it will change our cruising selection habits.

Burt

I have read this full thread and agree with just about everything said. I too had read early reviews and had to stop. I always try to take an average of the good/bad posts. We were a group of 4 in our 60's. This was our 4th Princess cruise hacing been on Emerald twice. And we love that ship. Took trip mostly just to see the new ship.

First impression...loved it. I would go again. Piazza is totally wonderful. The life of the ship. Great great place to spend your free time to relax, eat, drink, shop, have entertainment, chat with other passengers, meeting place for members of your group at a set time after everyone doing their own thing. And it is absolutely beautiful. The finishes in that area are just wonderful..fabrics, chair design, marble and tile, the colors.

We loved Alfredos. The outdoor seating area on back of ship at Horizon is the best! Quiet, never crowded. We joked about that being our own private yacht dining area.

Staff seemed a little not up to normal. So I asked. He was a 10 year crew veteran who had been hand picked for the Royal. He was leaving for his break after our 5-day cruise. Since this was maiden Caribbean, a large portion of the crew got off in FLL and new came on. Those leaving had been with ship since May getting it ready for the first Maiden voyages and when it came from overseas, their contract ended. As a matter of fact, they got to FLL 2 days prior to this departure and the new crew got on. It went back out to sea for some training. Our room steward had been relocated from the suites deck to our Baja deck because the person prior had gotten off. She was having to learn a whole new deck and was given rooms on port and starboard side. She was very busy but still did a good job.

We tried the Crab Shack for a change. Probably not do it again but it was fun to do once. Food was good. And we did Sabatinnis. Excellent.

Agree that elevators were somewhat an issue. Hopefully they will continue to tweak that. But you just dealt with it.

Loved the display of Princess Kate ship naming ceremony with her dress, scissors, photos. etc. Nice.

Horizon was nice. Food as good as ever. But I have to admit it took me a while to get used to layout. And I got lost going back to my table more than once!!

Liked the smaller entertainment venue in Vista Lounge. Reminded me of a nightclub. We had a singer from the Letterman who put on a second show there and it was great.

Last but not least the balcony. It was fine! I prefer a balcony room as just a way to walk outside for a few minutes, see the port you are in, maybe sit and read while my husband is getting ready in the bathroom. If it gives more space in the room to make them smaller, I am all for that.

And new TVs are great and Imthink the shower may be a tad bigger!!!

Sorry to ramble, but those were my observations to share with those who are waiting for their trips. I think you will have a wonderful time. We are off to Diamond Princess 12-day Sydney to Auckland that leaves Jan 28. Cannot wait.

Happy travels to all

Access to the intranet site is password protected & with the remote having limited buttons doubt if it would be easy for most passengers to input a password to access their onboard account.

How about cabin door being left open when attendant cleaning room? Security is not an issue for an account. This is a subject that everyone has their own opinion. Thanks for yours. I would rather have access via my TV than signing into a web site via phone, iPad, Tablet, etc. Been on many cruise lines that allow account review via TV. NOt an issue. Just much easier.

It was very easy to check my account via the phone. Once it was set up, and had auto fill on, all I had to do was to click "log in". I then had complete access to the onboard accounts. You do not have to log in to see all of the other options, such as events, etc.

Yes, it was easy. But you had two different sign ins. The paid one to access Internet was:

First Name, Last Name, Cabin Number and Password. Then to sign in to (free) check account, activities, etc. was user name and password. Two separate accesses. Never said anything about signing into see other options. This should have been displayed on TV, too. Why not post the daily menus on TV or the free site, too?

Very true.

That's why the Carnival Ecstasy has so many lovers.

My point was: a good impression of the report has been spoiled by a generalization that has nothing to do with the reality.:)

Lapsus (like that one in the end) often turn the whole reviews into different light.

You must mean your reality.:D

You certainly seem remarkably informed on cruise ships in general and many of us appreciate the work you have put in. In reading several threads about the Royal, I've come across the comment that the lack of a wrap-around promenade deck is a result of "new regulations". Is there any truth to this? In other words, are we seeing the end of the traditional promenade deck on ALL new builds?

Several things have to be mentioned to aswer your question.

1. I have never seen a link to any valid source of information about "new regulations".

2. It's necessary to understand that if such "regulations" appear, they will be related to safety factor, i.e. lifeboats and davits, not promenade deck.

Look at the NCL Breakaway with promenade deck above life boats.

3. Take time to find how this or similar question was aswered by Princess Management here on CC. I don't have a quote but idea was somewhat like "attention to clients interests that want more balconies".

What does it mean in practice?

Suspended lifeboats are located in front of "obstructed view" cabins leaving open promenade for us to enjoy for free.

What has been done on the Royal?

Formerly obsructed view cabins became "balcony cabins" - you can charge more for them. Lifeboats took place on the promenade that was free.

It's all about money.

This is in line with this design phylosophy.

Look at the front observation deck (one of the most amazing places on the Grand Class ships) that was cynically converted into cabins and balconies. I don't think that there are any regulations that require "the end" of observation decks.

That's why the view of the Royal Princess insults my eyes.

It's not about the number of design flaws.

It's about the message: your preferences are notning, revenue is everything.

Edited by cruisetrail

1. I have never seen a link to any valid source of information about "new regulations".

2. It's necessary to understand that if such "regulations" appear, they will be related to safety factor, i.e. lifeboats and davits, not promenade deck.

3. Take time to find how this or similar question was aswered by Princess Management here on CC. I don't have a quote but idea was somewhat like "attention to clients interests that want more balconies".

Suspended lifeboats are located in front of "obstructed view" cabins leaving open promenade for us to enjoy for free.

Formerly obsructed view cabins became "balcony cabins" - you can charge more for them. Lifeboats took place on the promenade that was free.

It's all about money.

Look at the front observation deck (one of the most amazing places on the Grand Class ships) that was cynically converted into cabins and balconies. I don't think that there are any regulations that require "the end" of observation decks.

Have you seen the latest news from CC and Princess?

It's all about money.

Thank you!

I have read this full thread and agree with just about everything said. I too had read early reviews and had to stop. I always try to take an average of the good/bad posts. We were a group of 4 in our 60's. This was our 4th Princess cruise hacing been on Emerald twice. And we love that ship. Took trip mostly just to see the new ship.

First impression...loved it. I would go again. Piazza is totally wonderful. The life of the ship. Great great place to spend your free time to relax, eat, drink, shop, have entertainment, chat with other passengers, meeting place for members of your group at a set time after everyone doing their own thing. And it is absolutely beautiful. The finishes in that area are just wonderful..fabrics, chair design, marble and tile, the colors.

We loved Alfredos. The outdoor seating area on back of ship at Horizon is the best! Quiet, never crowded. We joked about that being our own private yacht dining area.

Staff seemed a little not up to normal. So I asked. He was a 10 year crew veteran who had been hand picked for the Royal. He was leaving for his break after our 5-day cruise. Since this was maiden Caribbean, a large portion of the crew got off in FLL and new came on. Those leaving had been with ship since May getting it ready for the first Maiden voyages and when it came from overseas, their contract ended. As a matter of fact, they got to FLL 2 days prior to this departure and the new crew got on. It went back out to sea for some training. Our room steward had been relocated from the suites deck to our Baja deck because the person prior had gotten off. She was having to learn a whole new deck and was given rooms on port and starboard side. She was very busy but still did a good job.

We tried the Crab Shack for a change. Probably not do it again but it was fun to do once. Food was good. And we did Sabatinnis. Excellent.

Agree that elevators were somewhat an issue. Hopefully they will continue to tweak that. But you just dealt with it.

Loved the display of Princess Kate ship naming ceremony with her dress, scissors, photos. etc. Nice.

Horizon was nice. Food as good as ever. But I have to admit it took me a while to get used to layout. And I got lost going back to my table more than once!!

Liked the smaller entertainment venue in Vista Lounge. Reminded me of a nightclub. We had a singer from the Letterman who put on a second show there and it was great.

Last but not least the balcony. It was fine! I prefer a balcony room as just a way to walk outside for a few minutes, see the port you are in, maybe sit and read while my husband is getting ready in the bathroom. If it gives more space in the room to make them smaller, I am all for that.

And new TVs are great and Imthink the shower may be a tad bigger!!!

Sorry to ramble, but those were my observations to share with those who are waiting for their trips. I think you will have a wonderful time. We are off to Diamond Princess 12-day Sydney to Auckland that leaves Jan 28. Cannot wait.

Happy travels to all

gardenbunny......Thanks for your thoughts on your cruise experience. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.:D I can't wait for our turn!

I am enjoying your review. I've never been on a Princess ship. Was there a fee for the items in the pastry shop and was the fondue restaurant an extra charge? If so, what were the charges?

There is no charge for the pastry shoppe. The Fondue is held in Horizon Court. That is the buffet area. They section off a section for The Fondue, and do the same for The Crab Shack. Both have a cover charge of $20 per person. They list the nights for each in the Patter as they don't happen every evening. You can then Call the dining reservation line to reserve your spots. Or you can call the dine line as I did and they will tell you in advance when each are being held. When I called on the first day, I made reservations for the Crown Grille ($25). Sabbatini's ($25), and Fondue all on the same call.

I forgot in my initial posting to mention the Pub Lunc.

We went there, seated ourselves, and the waiter came over immediately. Ordered the Bangers and Mash, and the Fish and Chips. Both were excellent in my opinion, and we enjoyed our lunch.:)

Edited by dedosr

I forgot in my initial posting to mention the Pub Lunc.

We went there, seated ourselves, and the waiter came over immediately. Ordered the Bangers and Mash, and the Fish and Chips. Both were excellent in my opinion, and we enjoyed our lunch.:)

Did they have two Pub lunches? They didn't offer Bangers and Mash the day we ate there. I sat with an English friend who wondered why as well.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Did they have two Pub lunches? They didn't offer Bangers and Mash the day we ate there. I sat with an English friend who wondered why as well.

Burt

They have the Pub Lunch from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM on sea days.

The menu offerings were the day I was there are as follows:

Bangers and Mash

Fish and Chips

Ploughman's Lunch ( which appeared to be like a cheese/veggie/cracker plate)

and

Kidney Pie?? (not sure on that one exactly, but something like that)

Maybe they were out of it that day. If it was a last sea day, they could be out of some things. When I went to the Barbecue at night at Trident Grille, it was night 6, and they were out of chicken wings.

Edited by dedosr

They have the Pub Lunch from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM on sea days.

The menu offerings were the day I was there are as follows:

Bangers and Mash

Fish and Chips

Ploughman's Lunch ( which appeared to be like a cheese/veggie/cracker plate)

and

Kidney Pie?? (not sure on that one exactly, but something like that)

Maybe they were out of it that day. If it was a last sea day, they could be out of some things. When I went to the Barbecue at night at Trident Grille, it was night 6, and they were out of chicken wings.

They weren't offered on the big menu on the board by the bar, but I didn't read the menu at the table. I should have asked. :o We were one of the first tables served on the last sea day sitting by the piano.

Burt