Another upsell question..

Halgirl1278

Has anyone received multiple upsell offers and/or negotiated a better upsell deal? Im not happy with the offer that we received and am wondering about your experiences...

We are sailing 12/14 on the Westerdam...

Our only experience with upsells was that, starting about 2 weeks before our cruise, we received 3 different upsells. Each one a little sweeter than the one before. The last one we got was about 3 days before the cruise.

I'm not sure there is any wiggle room once you respond to one of them. If they make an offer, and you call them, HAL probably feels that the offer was good enough to get your attention.

We didn't respond to any of our offers, maybe that's why we continued getting them.

If you aren't happy with the upsell offer, refuse it.

You certainly can make an offer and see if it is accepted.

If the upsell makes the price of the new cabin less costly than if you had originally booked and paid for it, then you can think it likely 'someone' paid that amount of money for that cabin category.

I don't mean to imply you 'expect' an offer you like but it can get that way seeing HAL does it so often.

They lose sight of the fact there are 'early bookers' who pay the asking price for those cabins but they have conditioned many to expect to get the same cabin for less. No reason any of us should expect an upsell or upgrade, IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you both for the feedback...i think we will roll the dice and wait and see!

Sail7seas, you are right!!! HAL has conditioned me to hunt out the better deal...throughout the booking process, not just at upsell time. As much as mom and I love the Neptune Suites, I'm willing to risk waiting it out...unless an offer for the Pinnacle suite comes along...lol

I actually contacted our TA today to see if HAL was offering any upsells for our 12/7 cruise. We had an SZ gty and got an upsell to an SA for LESS than last year - same time frame. We took it right then and there as I was afraid no offers were coming. On Sunday there were at least 6 SA suites still available at double what we ended up paying. Happy now! :) Plus we have perks from the TA including OBC and dinner in the Pinnacle.

You just never know what to expect!

If you aren't happy with the upsell offer, refuse it.

You certainly can make an offer and see if it is accepted.

If the upsell makes the price of the new cabin less costly than if you had originally booked and paid for it, then you can think it likely 'someone' paid that amount of money for that cabin category.

I don't mean to imply you 'expect' an offer you like but it can get that way seeing HAL does it so often.

They lose sight of the fact there are 'early bookers' who pay the asking price for those cabins but they have conditioned many to expect to get the same cabin for less. No reason any of us should expect an upsell or upgrade, IMO

Most people are on to Hal's games. I usually have about 3 cruises booked with Hal at any given time. I almost always go with a guarantee so it's of no benefit for me to book early. The only thing I get from booking early is a frozen boot up my butt. Now I'm prepared to wait to see if they change their tune. If Hal wants to play games, c'mon let's play.