Breakfast Buffet and PJs/Bathrobes

kcwingwalker

Because it's disrespectful! I feel the same way when I'm grocery shopping and I see someone in their pajamas (yes it has happened). How hard is it just to throw on a tee shirt and shorts? So many people today have so little respect for themselves or anyone else. Pajamas are not made to be worn in public, that's why the material is thinner.

You sound too sensitive. Every little thing you don't agree with is disrespectful to you. Maybe you should stay home and stay safe.

You sound too sensitive. Every little thing you don't agree with is disrespectful to you. Maybe you should stay home and stay safe.

You should re-read my comment...I was commenting about ONE thing, i.e. wearing private clothes in public. I was not commenting about "every little thing". You sound like you like to blow things out of proportion and accuse people of saying things that they didn't say. Maybe you should stay out of the public eye until you are not so angry and can respond with comments that actually pertain to the actual post, instead of making it into something that it never was just because you want to be rude.

Oh for heaven's sake! Why are people who cruise (or who comment on Cruise Critic) so concerned about how others dress? As long as they're clean I couldn't care less what they wear, it's their business. Many 'pajama pants' are nicer than sweats anyway.

But I've got to say, I can't resist it when I see these posts! ;)

I completely agree with you. What another person decides to wear to breakfast is their business, doesn't bother me, and I don't see why it bothers other people so much

-Manda

I have been following a thread on another board about people arriving at the buffet in the am in PJs and/or robes complete with bed head. The responses have been interesting and it's not just one cruise line where this is occurring. This is about adults, not young children.

So am I out of touch since I have not cruised in 14 months? Are people wandering around NCL ships looking like they've just rolled out of bed?

Perhaps I being old-fashioned but you'll have to be part of our close family circle before you'll see my PJ's.

I only saw this once on NCL but have seen it on other lines:there may not be much of a dress code for NCL, but please leave your PJs and robes in your cabin. No, I an not suggesting you come to breakfast in your birthday suits either. How about throwing on a pair of shorts and a t shirt, at least.

This is the dress code and darned if I can find where it says PJ's/Robe are classed as Casual/Resort Casual. If people want to wear their PJ's for breakfast, fine, order room service, that's why it's available.

And flame me all you want, I couldn't care less, I have standards and don't like it when people are rude. NCL will crack down on this eventually when they realize how many people are stepping over the line.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Didn't you once say that tipping a porter to help you wheel your bags through customs showed a "lack of respect" to those waiting in line? I remember that phrasing because it was so WEIRD.

Pot, kettle.

Edit: Found it!

Edited by tempura

Ugh - I don't like when they do it in the spa, but I can understand it. A tbreakfast?? Definitely a no no. Classless, tacky, and just plain rude!

I don't understand how wearing your pajamas is just "plain rude".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

I have been following a thread on another board about people arriving at the buffet in the am in PJs and/or robes complete with bed head. The responses have been interesting and it's not just one cruise line where this is occurring. This is about adults, not young children.

So am I out of touch since I have not cruised in 14 months? Are people wandering around NCL ships looking like they've just rolled out of bed?

Perhaps I being old-fashioned but you'll have to be part of our close family circle before you'll see my PJ's.

I amnot fond of this bathrobe thing.

I did see (one time) a group of the Red hats.

Anyone ever cruised with a group of these ladies??

Google it, if you are unfamiliar...anyway, they came to the mdr for breakfast in the morning, complete with purple and red loungewear (aka PJ's) and their red hats.

and yes, this was on NCL

It is usually on CCL that the bathrobe cult wanders...all day and night.

Bizarre-o

Edited by halos

I don't understand how wearing your pajamas is just "plain rude".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

Thank you...i always feel the same way when I see posts like this.

Do these people really feel that the people who don't wear a suit and tie on formal night, or abathrobe to the buffett actually and consciously set out to offend and disrespect people.

They are earing what they feel comfortable in, or they just figure I am going to grab a quick coffee and a plate why change ?

I really don't see these people walking out the cabin door saying "Man am I gonna piss off the old lady at table 27 when she sees these jeans "

When did everyone get so sensitive ?

I saw 2 people in jammies on the Breakaway. Dd17 wore her jammie bottoms (lounge pants) and a hoodie (she's worn them out before...), and a woman who was either wearing sleepwear, or had print bottoms which coordinated really well with her top.

I honestly don't care (but I'm not doing it). I will admit that I just brush my teeth and hair, and throw on some clothes, for the breakfast buffet.

I really don't care what people wear.....

However, flame me all you want......I do judge.

Seeing someone at breakfast in their PJ's or bathrobe makes me shake my head. Why?

My thought process goes like this:

Boy, this person must really be lazy that that they can't take a few moments to throw on a pair of shorts/pants and a top.

Shesh, this person didn't even take a shower and they're in public. (or comb their hair, etc.)

This person has no pride in how they look/appear.

If they were at a hotel would they go down for breakfast like this?

I wonder how these people were brought up and how they brought up or will bring up their kids!

This person has no class.

Again.....just my thoughts....right or wrong....I'm entitled to them.

So.....if you're in your PJ's or bathrobe at breakfast.....and you see someone shaking their head......yep, that would be me! And now....you know what I'm thinking and how I'm judging you.

But, hey, it's freestyle so do as you please!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I completely agree with you. What another person decides to wear to breakfast is their business, doesn't bother me, and I don't see why it bothers other people so much

-Manda

Because when people dress and act like slobs from a trailer park on Tobacco Road they will get treated like they are slobs from a trailer park on Tobacco Road. Eventually, the crew will forget to treat people who know how to dress and act in public like they aren't from a trailer park on Tobacco Road.

That is the reason for maintaining a minimal sense of decorum.

On Gem last year, we were lucky enough to be granted VIP status...imagine our surprise when the lady staying in one of the Garden Villas arrived for breakfast in Cagney's wearing her NCL robe and apparently nothing else!:eek: as DDP said, OMG, I can see Christmas!:rolleyes:

And to think we were worried about being under dressed to breakfast with the suite folks....LOL

Just shows you that money doesn't buy class. Someone with class would make sure that they are covered up, whether they are in a robe, PJ's, etc., so that certain body parts are not being shown for the world to see. Or maybe she wanted the world to see ?????????

I really don't care what people wear.....

However, flame me all you want......I do judge.

Seeing someone at breakfast in their PJ's or bathrobe makes me shake my head. Why?

My thought process goes like this:

Boy, this person must really be lazy that that they can't take a few moments to throw on a pair of shorts/pants and a top.

Shesh, this person didn't even take a shower and they're in public. (or comb their hair, etc.)

This person has no pride in how they look/appear.

If they were at a hotel would they go down for breakfast like this?

I wonder how these people were brought up and how they brought up or will bring up their kids!

This person has no class.

Again.....just my thoughts....right or wrong....I'm entitled to them.

So.....if you're in your PJ's or bathrobe at breakfast.....and you see someone shaking their head......yep, that would be me! And now....you know what I'm thinking and how I'm judging you.

But, hey, it's freestyle so do as you please!

Harriet

I have a very similar thought process.

What's interesting is that the people who say they "don't care what others think of them" are always the ones posting here with a list of reasons to justify their behavior and showing us how much they "don't care" by listing their other positive attributes and explaining why they aren't slovenly. :D

The bottom line is... if it's not against the rules, you get to do what you want to do and I cannot stop you. I do, however, get to think you're a slob with no class and I will probably try not to use the communal utensils you touched!