Transportation from Seward to ANC

ARrazorback

My family of three is booked on a Celebrity northbound cruise for next July. We will be arriving in Seward early on a Friday morning and flying out of Anchorage late Sat night. I really want to make the most of our time before we fly home and we have chosen a day kayak tour to Aialik Bay on Friday leaving about 7am getting back into Seward around 6pm. My initial plan was to rent a car and stay in Girdwood area that night. My daughter really wants to hike on a glacier and the best option for her size/age we've found is Matanuska glacier on Sat before heading back to the airport.

Here is my problem- the rental company in Seward is only open 8-5p M-F, so while we are on our kayak tour. The train leaves too early and no buses run in the evening. Are there any other options?? If we wait to travel to ANC by bus or train on Sat I guess we could rent out of anchorage and still do the glacier trek but it gets very complicated!

Thanks for any suggestions! This site has been great for helping me plan my excursions!

Are you sure that a 7am tour departure will work for your cruise? They say the arrival into Seward is 5am, but can you get off the ship that early? In order to make a 7am tour, you will need to do self-disembarkation.

Regarding getting to Anchorage, probably the only option is a taxi. Try PJ's Taxi. You really need to get to Anchorage Friday night to make this work best. If you leave Saturday morning from Seward, you won't get to Anchorage until late morning. Then figure 2 hours each way from Anchorage to Matanuska, and 3 hours on the glacier, signing releases, etc. That is at least 7 hours round trip from Anchorage. If you depart Anchorage at noon, you would be VERY lucky to be back in Anchorage by 7pm. But that means no stops for meals, no stops for random wildlife sightings or photos, etc. Definitely get to Anchorage on Friday evening.

Hiking the Matanuska Glacier is WAY out of the way. Do the trail along Exit Glacier just outside Seward, then you can hike on Harding Icefield at the top. ALSO it cost money per person to head out to the Matanuska, I think it was around $20 a head, where as Exit is free.

Hiking the Matanuska Glacier is WAY out of the way. Do the trail along Exit Glacier just outside Seward, then you can hike on Harding Icefield at the top. ALSO it cost money per person to head out to the Matanuska, I think it was around $20 a head, where as Exit is free.

Guided Matanuska, is in the $70++++ range. There is also the entrance fee, which you may be referring to?

My family of three is booked on a Celebrity northbound cruise for next July. We will be arriving in Seward early on a Friday morning and flying out of Anchorage late Sat night. I really want to make the most of our time before we fly home and we have chosen a day kayak tour to Aialik Bay on Friday leaving about 7am getting back into Seward around 6pm. My initial plan was to rent a car and stay in Girdwood area that night. My daughter really wants to hike on a glacier and the best option for her size/age we've found is Matanuska glacier on Sat before heading back to the airport.

Here is my problem- the rental company in Seward is only open 8-5p M-F, so while we are on our kayak tour. The train leaves too early and no buses run in the evening. Are there any other options?? If we wait to travel to ANC by bus or train on Sat I guess we could rent out of anchorage and still do the glacier trek but it gets very complicated!

Thanks for any suggestions! This site has been great for helping me plan my excursions!

Your only option appears to be PJ's taxi, which offers excellent service.

You will have to self disembark to make your 7am tour, but the ship starts unloading around 6am, just get in line.

Exit Glacier hiking and Matanuska are very different, which Exit requiring a lot of time and fitness. Exit Glacier guides would be recommended. If you can add another day, I would recommend you consider it. What you want to do, your last day, involves at least a 4 hour drive, then needing at least a guided 4 hour tour, in my opinion.