AA meetings on every ship, every day?

ViolaSwamp

Carnival doesn't "offer" them due to the atmosphere. these are independly organized meetings, but which Carnival offers space.. just like Friends of Dorothy.. or a meet up group.. or any other "topic" centered meeting request.

I've seen them on other cruiselines as well.

I think it's just that it's so prevelant, that it's very common to actually have attendees on each ship and each sailing. Doesn't matter if you're 1 month, 1 year or 20+ years... it's always 1 day at a time, and I've seen how this particular group is especially open and caring and available to it's "members". It's a good thing.

Oh ok I see. Well thanks for explainig. We host AA and NA meetings at our church. I think it's a wonderful thing and the meetings have definitely been to the betterment of a few family members. And church members.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

As a long time FOB I always smile at the responses to these questions from people that don't have a clue what the fellowship of alcoholics anonymous it is all about and how it works.

If your friend is attending meetings at home they will be fine attending the meetings on the ship. It really doesn't matter if the meeting is in a bar that is closed and private or the chapel or anywhere else -- your friend knows why they are at the meeting and knows where it is held is immaterial.

Many meetings on ships are held in a closed bar as it affords the privacy which is important to many members of AA.

Not always true. As a FoB myself, all of the mtgs on the Inspiration (all 4 sailings I've taken this year) have been outside the coffee shop. People milling about everywhere...watching tv, playing cards, reading/watching an iPad, drinking coffee or eating a specialty pastry, whatever. No visible other FoB.....no BB, no 12&12 or other visible literature (I'm guilty of not providing mine, so I'm responsible as well) to give a hint.

In 2011 on the Spirit to Alaska, the mtgs were in the Chapel.

On the Ecstasy in the Bahamas, the mtgs were in the library.

Two or more always seemed to be gathered in the private areas. On the Inspiration, the story is always different. :-)

No, I didn't ask random strangers if they might be hangin' for a meeting. I looked long and hard for people who might also have been looking long and hard for people like me. After a while, I turned back around and continued on with my day.

:-)

FOB meetings can be held in the library, chapel, card room, piano bar, etc. If the space is not conducive to holding a meeting, a talk with someone at the guest services desk or the CD can arrange another space if one is available. I've also seen the time changed, say from noon on a port day to 5 or 6PM.

Check the Fun Times for the schedule and location.

My DH and I are both longtime friends of Bill W. and have been on 6 cruises with Carnival. There were meetings on all of them and they had them every day. Sometimes other people show up and sometimes they dont, but we always go to the first couple of meetings and if no one shows up we leave. I started posting a couple of months before each cruise that we are friends of Bill W and will be at the first scheduled meeting. It didn't seem to make a difference on our last cruise, but our next cruise will be a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and I noticed that almost 400 people looked at the post. So who knows? On one ship the Funtimes listed the meeting as being in the piano bar. I just assumed it would be closed so when I saw 3 people in there I walked up to someone and asked if they were there for the AA meeting and he looked at me like I had 3 heads and said no. I just left and laughed about it. The next day the meeting was in the library. We always have fun on our cruises and don't feel at all left out about not drinking. I would have no problem asking for a more private meeting place if necessary and have asked other people to leave the library when it was time for the scheduled meeting.