MS and cruising

I've done a number of cruises with my mother who has advanced MS. During the past three cruises a Hoyer bed lift has been required. We've brought our own Hoyer aboard however I understand that a medical supply company used by all the major lines can now arrange to have this onboard.

We've travelled Princess, Celebrity, and HAL. I would rate them in that order also in terms of access friendly. Princess' "passenger logistics" department REALLY went the extra mile for us on a Golden Princess Med cruise in '03 with respect to moving the Hoyer and arranging disabled shore excursions. On board, Celeb offers the best disabled cabins - so its pretty much a tie with Princess.

Celebrity's ship board crew was excellent, and the aft balconies on the M-class ships "take the cake" with respect to disabled accomodation. A "larger" aft HAL Vista Class disabled suite was in reality a lesser cabin than the Celeb veranda due to poor configuration and lack of available ramps for accessing the verandah. Celeb's M-class dining rooms are also the best of the bunch with respect to wheelchair access. Princess and Celeb's dining room servers easily trump HAL's when it comes to assisting the seriously disabled.

We have our own travel lift (not a Hoyer brand...something else) that we use for all our cruising. Easy to transport, and we don't have to rent or try to find something in a foreign port. We also travel with our own travel type shower/commode chair as the fold-down seat in the bathrooms is too risky for my mother's balance needs.

I would disagree with you on the dining room service on Princess. The last trip we had (Island last November) I thought we had very poor service in the dining room. The Matre'D kept trying to sit everyone with a wheelchair or disability at the tables by the door, away from the windows, at lunch and breakfast....it was like a little disabled ghetto. They also did not sit us with another group unless we specifically asked, even though we enjoy meeting others this way. We had to protest several times that we wanted to have access to window tables, to sit with other parties, etc. during our cruise. Waiters were not helpful in cutting food for my mother even when asked (which we have never had a problem with on HAL). We did have traditional dining, and after a few days our evening waiter got the idea and cut the food prior to serving, which is much easier for all of us.

In the buffet, only about half the time was there any staff person willing to carry my mother's tray for her. This meant I had to carry her tray, find her a table, get her something to drink and then go back for my food....it would have been nice to be able to eat at the same time! Celebrity does a good job of this as does HAL.

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad to read about all of the folks with MS cruising. My DH and I have cruised many times but this will be my first with my featherlite scooter. We're going on the Carnival Pride Dec 18-25 with 12 members of my family. I'm enjoying all the great tips and I will try to post some of my own when I get back. My scooter has given me back my freedom so I'm really looking foward to enjoying it on our cruise.

• 4 months later...

My husband has MS and we have done 17 cruises with a scooter. We have never had to have a back up. We have been all over the world and never been refused tendering with the scooter. it is true that you must adjust your excursions, but you have to do that anyway when worried about getting over tired and over heated.

Often times the cruise line gives us a wheelchair simply to get to the cruise bus and my husband is able to walk the few steps and to a front seat. Then He simply stays aboard the bus when it stops.

Once the scooter broke. The maintenance department came and took it to their department. it was back in 30 minutes better than ever. (Thanks RCCL maintenance)

We tend to choose trips with many sea days as that is so much easier than struggling to get on and off every day. We are going in Sept on a 17 day transatlantic, 13 of the days are sea days. This suits us fine. Only concern I have is that it is an older ship Norwegian Dream and may not be as accessible as the larger newer ships. Anyone travelled on this and have comments?

To the person from Baltimore. We have sailed out of Baltimore twice on Celebrity and loved it. However this year they have raised the price for handicapped cabins. I find this discriminatory and will not be travelling on them again, although they have been my very favorite line.

On board, Celeb offers the best disabled cabins - so its pretty much a tie with Princess.

Celebrity's ship board crew was excellent, and the aft balconies on the M-class ships "take the cake" with respect to disabled accomodation.

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell!!! We had one of those on Summit and it was total heaven!! The rooms are so wide you can turn a wheelchair with total ease and the bathroom is set up so great! And the view!! Oh, I'm so ready for my next cruise!!

As for dining rooms, I also agree that Celebrity was better set up for access to the rear tables, we had no problem with that, but on Oosterdam last March we didn't have a problem either. We did on Princess but a few complaints to the Head Waiter solved that one! I also had a few issues with HAL at the buffet where no one seemed to be willing to carry a tray a few days but it was hit or miss. I'm not shy, I usually can find someone to help and they see me coming!

I also have MS and use the fabric cooler bandanas that you tie around your neck after soaking them in an icy water sink which I bought at a sporting goods store. As a replacement, I keep a second one in an little insulated bag with ice in a ziplock bag while I'm out and about.

I need a wheelchair for distance and am thinking about the companion chair vs. the standard size. I'm concerned about the lines for the elevator on RCCL NOS and am wondering if those little companion wheels roll easily over the carpeting in the halls and throughout the ship (we're 10 people so I know someone will be there to push me). Since I can walk down stairs (but not up) I thought if the elevator lines are too long, my DH would fold up the lightweight chair and just carry it down for me. What do you think?

Since the chair will be delivered to the cabin, and I can't stand for long and wait on lines, will they get us on board early or do they have seating there where you check in? This is our first cruise and it's a lot to think about. Thank you all very much.

It is much more difficult to push a small wheeled chair over carpet, and also up and over curbs or steps ashore in places with no ramps or curb cuts. My mother uses a power chair, but we also take her manual chair, which is a Quickie 2. I would not be thrilled to have to push her around in a "travel" chair.

We just plan on a little more time for getting onto elevators, and make it a rule that when busy we take the first elevator with space that opens up...even if going in the wrong direction. Eventually it will turn around (unless it plunges through the bottom of the ship!!!!).

• 4 weeks later...

My wife has MS but fortunately the Beta Interfiron she takes has helped stabalize her over the last 5 years. As a result she requires a scooter for long distances but doesn't need any other special assistance in a HC room. We are going on RCCL Brilliance of the Seas and have booked a GS. I've made a big assumption that the entry doors are wide enough to allow passage into the room. Can someone pls confirm the door width if you have that info.

Thanks

Tibear

I am thrilled that my hubby has finally gotten over his "issues" about giving in to renting a scooter. So for the next Princess cruise we are renting one in San Juan and I think he'll enjoy the cruise so much more without all the worries! This was a huge breakthrough for him and I'm so happy!

Now I do need recommendations on those bandana coolers. Are they all the same? Do some work better than others?

And for the person asking about a scooter in a GS, the door ways should be plenty wide, I called the other day to Princess and their standard door widths are 24" so I think RCI would be the same but I'll double check for you. Those cabins are also plenty big for storing the scooter at night. You'll love the GS!!

Very cool! They are everywhere! Seems they are all made from some sort of crystals that absorb water and hold it. I went to the brand new sporting goods store last weekend and he acted like I was from Mars when I asked about them!! E-Bay seems to have quite a bit! Thanks for much for the recommend! I might pick up a few for myself and those wonderful "flashes"!!

• 7 months later...

One of my family members is going to be joining my wife and I on the NCL Sun going on a Western Caribbean itinerary (this will be our 4th cruise, his 1st). He has MS, but right now can get around fine -- no wheelchairs or scooters. Every once in awhile there might be some weakness in his hands or eyesight. Heat seems to be the issue we are most concerned about. It can trigger symptoms.

He has a cooling vest, and the packs stay cool for a few hours. However, he needs access to a freezer to freeze the packs again. The staterooms on the Sun have refrigerators, but if they are like those we've had on past cruise ships, they probably won't have freezers (or anything substantial that the packs will fit in).

Any suggestions (beyond buying a $399 portable freezer)? Anyone have experience with this particular thing? Will cruise ships accommodate something like this in their freezers and bring them to the stateroom upon request?

I would also recommend checking with the room steward about refreezing these daily, or arrange this with the medical center on the ship.

You should also consider which excursions you choose. It can be very hot in some of the Western Carib. Be sure you are arranging those that have air conditioned transportation. Consider taking a Misty Mate in addition to the cooling vest, and you may also want to consider a wheelchair if his gait is impaired when he is hot.

(KLD)

My DH has progressive MS and we just returned from the carnival elation on Monday. We found the ship to be very accessible and didn't have too much trouble waiting for elevators except on the first day on the ship and disembarkation day. One thing you should check is the number of accessible restrooms. On the handicapped map of the ship, it appeared that there were several hc accessible restrooms. However, once on the ship it appeared that the restroom in our cabin and the unisex restroom on the lido deck were the only ones that a WC would fit thru the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the responses - this has been a very helpful and informative thread!

ShadowCat has been asking the questions for me so far, but I figured it was time for me to ask my own. :) Fortunately my DH is not wheelchair-bound at this point, but does take daily injections to control his MS symptoms. Has anyone encountered any issues with boarding and syringes?

Also, is there anyone out there that has relapse-remitting MS that has taken a Western Caribbean cruise that could advise as to which excursions to enjoy or avoid because of the heat issues?

Thanks in advance!

No problem taking meds or syringes onboard. Just go by the same rules as the airlines....keep in original containers with a copy of the prescription, and tell the security people that they are there before your luggage goes through the scanner. Never pack any meds in your checked luggage...keep it with you.

Archived