NCL back to South America

Rob1eddy

DH and I have really enjoyed remembering this cruise over the last few days. As a result, we're seriously considering going back to South America when we take our Next Big Adventure and, of course, we'd love to do it with NCL. Yesterday I was out on the HAL and Celebrity sites looking at their offerings and became a little gloomy at the thought of having to pack and wear tuxes and dresses in order to eat a meal for which I've already paid. We decided that it makes sense to wait until the NCL itineraries come out next month before making the commitment. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

NCL did a great job with the South American cruise. Rather than taking HAL or Celebrity, I'd rather wait until NCL decides to go back. NCL has been expanding their fleet so adding SA might be in the cards.

Hello!!!!!!!! We are doing good! We moved to Texas, and we've been looking at our next cruise... We just bought roundtrip airfare to Rome and are eyeing the March 1st sailing on NCL for the Western Med. I am hoping for a pretty good price drop in the next few weeks... I haven't actually booked it yet. I would LOVE to go to South America I love looking at your photos, hopefully next month they will have some good news and say they will go back. :) How are you doing?

Hello!!!!!!!! We are doing good! We moved to Texas, and we've been looking at our next cruise... We just bought roundtrip airfare to Rome and are eyeing the March 1st sailing on NCL for the Western Med. I am hoping for a pretty good price drop in the next few weeks... I haven't actually booked it yet. I would LOVE to go to South America I love looking at your photos, hopefully next month they will have some good news and say they will go back. :) How are you doing?

You can't get better than Europe on the Jade! I looked at that itinerary and I'm a little envious.

We're doing fine. We've been talking about going back to South America for awhile - either a land vacation to visit some inland sites or an expeditionary cruise to Antarctica that embarks in Ushuaia. After posting the photos, though, we've started talking about another cruise around the Horn.

We've decided to hold off making plans until NCL releases the new itineraries. Who knows? Maybe there'll be good news in a couple of weeks.

Edited by polySeraph

We spent our last day at sea tying up loose ends, saying goodbye, and packing. Rounding the Horn (which I had finished) went into the suitcase, along with both summer & winter wardrobes, and a couple of small souvenirs. I finally took the painter’s tape off the cabinets and drawers. We headed to LeBistro for a victory dinner with some of our friends. I used the last of my Internet minutes to check our flight while ComputerTravelGuy settled our account at the front desk. Then it was back to the cabin to put our luggage in the hall.

Disembarkation went very smoothly. Since we had arranged to take a ship’s tour, we simply followed our tour group off the ship, found our luggage, and boarded the bus. Despite the earthquake only 2 weeks earlier, the port of Valparaiso was open and fully functional. As our bus left Valparaiso, we began to see both damage from the earthquake damage and repairs being made.

We headed out to the Casablanca Valley where our first stop was Casas del Bosque Winery for a tour and a wine-tasting.

14Valparaiso02_4x6_zpsb2a85e16.jpg

Our next stop was Puro Caballo, a ranch dedicated to preserving the traditions of the Chilean Horse and the huasos (cowboys) who ride them . We were greeted with music and pisco sours which we sipped while watching a demonstration of traditional Chilean horsemanship.

14Valparaiso05_4x6_zps35268c41.jpg

14Valparaiso08_4x6_zpse71e8463.jpg

We finished the day with a Santiago city tour. This was the first time our (Valparaiso-based) tour guide had seen the damage in Santiago and we could tell that he was grieved by what he saw. Sadly, the older, more historic buildings (built prior to the passage of more stringent building codes) had sustained more damage.

14Valparaiso10_4x6_zps04ad2f2a.jpg

One of the last stops on our tour was a park from which we could see Santiago spread out before us.

14Valparaiso14_4x6_zpsb9785e6f.jpg

We arrived at the airport to find controlled chaos. Our guide got off the bus to help our group find the right place to check in. He waded into the middle of the chaos and kept asking questions until he got us to the right spot.

The international terminal was too damaged to use, so international flights had been arriving and departing from the domestic terminal. Due to minor damage in the domestic terminal, airport security was only letting small numbers of people (based on their departure time) at a time into the terminal. As flights would depart, more people would be allowed to enter. Travelers stood in the sun waiting for their flight number to be called to enter the terminal. It was very warm and tempers around us were short.

Eventually it was our turn to enter the terminal. We checked luggage, got boarding passes, went through security and boarded our flight. By now it was dark. Our plane was pushed back from the gate and started to taxi. I glanced back at the terminal and saw all the lights go dark from a power outage. The pilot lost no time getting us out of there. He quickly taxied out to the runway and took off. Just like that, we were aloft and on our way home.

Edited by polySeraph

• 4 weeks later...
We spent our last day at sea tying up loose ends, saying goodbye, and packing. Rounding the Horn (which I had finished) went into the suitcase, along with both summer & winter wardrobes, and a couple of small souvenirs. I finally took the painter’s tape off the cabinets and drawers. We headed to LeBistro for a victory dinner with some of our friends. I used the last of my Internet minutes to check our flight while ComputerTravelGuy settled our account at the front desk. Then it was back to the cabin to put our luggage in the hall.

Disembarkation went very smoothly. Since we had arranged to take a ship’s tour, we simply followed our tour group off the ship, found our luggage, and boarded the bus. Despite the earthquake only 2 weeks earlier, the port of Valparaiso was open and fully functional. As our bus left Valparaiso, we began to see both damage from the earthquake damage and repairs being made.

We headed out to the Casablanca Valley where our first stop was Casas del Bosque Winery for a tour and a wine-tasting.

Our next stop was a ranch dedicated to preserving the traditions of the Chilean Horse and the huasos (cowboys) who ride them . We were greeted with music and pisco sours which we sipped while watching a demonstration of traditional Chilean horsemanship..... .

Bit of an update. After remembering our last cruise to South America and reviewing the pictures, we have decided return - likely in early 2015 (sailing date TBD). :-)

Bit of an update. After remembering our last cruise to South America and reviewing the pictures, we have decided return - likely in early 2015 (sailing date TBD). :-)

What a great idea! Hope it will be wonderful for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Good for you. Have a great time!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I did the SA cruise on the Sun and was fortunate enough to participate in the Antarctic Landing excursion. Some incredible memories.

I hope other NCL cruisers get that chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi Donna,

That was our best cruise and excursion to date!!

D man

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a March SA cruise in 2015 but with another cruise line (not NCL). I just disembarked from the NCL cruise to the Western Caribbean and the future cruise consultant didn't give us any hope that NCL will be returning to South America. She indicated that its all up to NCL Corporate but they were mainly focused on their large ship sailings and repositioning of other Panamax sized ships to new ports. Apparently, NCL lost too much $$ in South America in 2009 and 2010.

• 1 month later...

We will be changing our south America cruise on RCL to the Sun, so excited! Really love all the new itineraries, does this mean NCL actually heard us?? I would like to think so. Thanks NCL!!!!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Great trip review.... any photos?? ;)

There's a great photo review from someone who went around the Horn on the Zaandam in 12/2013 over on the South America forum. Earlier in this thread are lots of photos posted from my 2010 cruise around the Horn on the Sun. I've posted some and some are from one of my roll call buddies on that same cruise.

I'm wondering if I missed something somewhere...

The press release from NCL announcing the Sun's re-deployment to South America didn't say how it's getting there. I think the Sun is in Alaska in the summer of 2015. Where is her repositioning cruise down the Mexican Riviera past Peru to Chile? I don't see the itinerary anywhere. :confused: