Definitive beer list?

dln929

I was looking at the beer list--complimentary and premium--and there's not a single IPA. :( Are the beers listed exactly what's available all the time? I don't know if I could go IPA-less for more than a few days!

If, for example, I were to buy a six pack of IPAs at the delightful brewery on St. John Island and bring them on board would this be alright, if I were to drink them only in our cabin?

Edited by dln929

From another IPA fan, they didn't have any on Journey last Feb. But you can bring some on and have your steward or butler make room in the mini-fridge in your cabin. Az is much more tolerant of bringing alcohol on board than Celebrity.

We'll be in St Johns in March on the Quest. Where is the brewery that has IPA?

Thanks Sanatee. The tap room is in Mongoose Junction shopping plaza not far from the Cruz Bay ferry dock. You can get a pint inside or on the veranda. They had a nice IPA for me and a stout for my husband. Great ambiance! We were there last Christmas when we were on the Equinox and really enjoyed it. http://www.stjohnbrewers.com/index.php

taxwiz, I'll agree with you about the Mango. I had a pint of that last year and I still remember how delicious it was. I think it's one of their best sellers.

Mike--thanks for the compliment but I'm not sure my husband would agree about the "good taste in beer." He can't stand the stuff. I've tried my best to bring him around but to no avail. He's a stout and porter man through and through. The silver lining is that I don't have to share! ;)

It's a pity the beer list is so boring and mainstream but I guess that what exploring in port is all about.

Anyone who is lucky enough to sail with Sandi will be lucky enough to find good beer. And that's a fact. :D

Sandi, I will try to bend the ear of the Beverage Director on the Quest this December so that by the time we get on the Journey next May the beer situation will have improved (a girl can always hope...)

Anyone who is lucky enough to sail with Sandi will be lucky enough to find good beer. And that's a fact. :D

Sandi, I will try to bend the ear of the Beverage Director on the Quest this December so that by the time we get on the Journey next May the beer situation will have improved (a girl can always hope...)

Back in Jan-Feb 2012, during the Larry Pimentel Q&A session on CC, the subject of good beer was addressed. To quote Mr. Pimentel, "I'd love to share your input on beers with the hotel operations executives. Please let me know your thoughts!" Several of us provided suggestions for good international beers, including using Celebrity's Michaels Pub excellent beer collection as a model. Nothing more was heard and nothing was done to improve things. Another case of Miami claiming to listen (with deaf ears!) It will be interesting to see what the on-board folks have to say.

Back in Jan-Feb 2012, during the Larry Pimentel Q&A session on CC, the subject of good beer was addressed. To quote Mr. Pimentel, "I'd love to share your input on beers with the hotel operations executives. Please let me know your thoughts!" Several of us provided suggestions for good international beers, including using Celebrity's Michaels Pub excellent beer collection as a model. Nothing more was heard and nothing was done to improve things. Another case of Miami claiming to listen (with deaf ears!) It will be interesting to see what the on-board folks have to say.

Mike, I looked up the post you mention. I like what Bill Lieber had to say even better:

"Rather than include a selection of "fixed" complimentary beers that would satisfy the eclectic tastes of our international guest mix, we decided to enhance our beer selection available for purchase using some of your excellent suggestions. Further, to have the flexibility to add a variety of regional beers, we'll augment our selection, from time to time, when we visit our other areas of operation."

So. I am thinking that if I offer the Food & Beverage Director on the Quest a nice cool bottle of St. John Brewery IPA it might help sway the argument for better beer selection on board? How much fun would that be to have the occasional random selection of local beers!

Mike, I looked up the post you mention. I like what Bill Lieber had to say even better:

"Rather than include a selection of "fixed" complimentary beers that would satisfy the eclectic tastes of our international guest mix, we decided to enhance our beer selection available for purchase using some of your excellent suggestions. Further, to have the flexibility to add a variety of regional beers, we'll augment our selection, from time to time, when we visit our other areas of operation."

So. I am thinking that if I offer the Food & Beverage Director on the Quest a nice cool bottle of St. John Brewery IPA it might help sway the argument for better beer selection on board? How much fun would that be to have the occasional random selection of local beers!

That would be fine if they did it. We saw no evidence on our SE Asia cruise in Feb 13. Wonder if other pax have seen anything on cruises in other areas? I guess if I see St John Brewery or even Kalik on Quest in March, I'll know you were successful!

I am loving this thread. Since I'm not a wine drinker and hard liquor does not set well with me, I am another one that prefers beer. DH rarely drinks beer....he's more of a wine/and or bourbon man.

I think the selection that is offered even complimentary is very slim...not the greatest choices.:eek: :rolleyes:

I do hope they do something to change this soon.