Sheraton Yankee Clipper

PAMLIGHT2

I hope someone can help me as I think I made the colossal boo-boo. We are planning an October cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and needed hotel accodomations for 2 couples for the 1 night post-cruise and then 2 night after that for just us. Well, I had gone through Priceline before and was satifisfied with results for New Orleans, so since I was asked to make the hotel plans, I decided to try again for Ft. Lauderdale. After more than a few tries, we ended up with the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for the 1st night-$100.00 each room and Hyatt Pier 66 for the next 2 nights-$125.00. Needless to say, after the fact, I have not read one positive remark about either hotel. The Sheraton is old, musty, gives their crummy rooms to priceline winners? and the Hyatt wasn't much better. I'm afraid I have to keep the Hyatt reservations and I do have a Gold passport card that might get us a little bit better room but I'm absolutely terrified of the Sheraton. Should I eat the bid for the Yankee Clipper and make direct reservations with Marriott Cruiseport or would anyone like to share their ideas. I surely would appreciate it. Not so much for myself, but I have someone elses comfort to consider.

Thank you,

Pam

I don't know what or where you've been reading negative remarks about the Hyatt Pier 66 property but nothing could be further from the truth. They Hyatt is a wonderful 4* property with lush gardens, beautiful pool and great rooms, excellent food, a water taxi stop, revolving rooftop lounge and many other amenities. Some prefer the Tower rooms versus the Lanai rooms. I prefer the Lanai rooms at the garden level. If you take the time to search the Cruise Critic hotel thread you will find many, many great reviews for this property. Hyatt staff bend over backwards to insure that you have a pleasant memorable stay.

Now, the Sheraton on the other hand is a bit past its prime. But look on the bright side, its only going to be for one night.

October is prime time in Ft Lauderdale, especially when the boat show comes to town. I wouldn't cancel the Sheraton, you'll be fine.;)

We stayed at the Hyatt pier 66 one night pre cruise and one night post cruise on our delayed honeymoon on the Century last August. I was very concerned after reading some of the reviews - but they all turned out to be garbage. We had nice lanai rooms. We didn't see a SINGLE thing that people were complaining about - maybe we got better rooms or more updated rooms but I would not only stay there again I would recommend it. We had friends traveling with us for their 4 year anniversary and they were sorry they didn't stay at our hotel.

We were right by the pool and had a fabulous time. The only negative that we could think of was the concierge was really obnoxious. We were looking for a restaurant to go to our first night - we were told at 6pm on a friday there was 1) NO place that we could get into at this point and 2) without a car we weren't going to be going anywhere icon8.gif

We are staying there one night before our August cruise. We are going to check out the Hard Rock this time for our post cruise night.

Our group stayed there pre and post cruise in 2003 and had a great time. It is on the beach, there is a great pool with bar. Staff were very accommodating in getting us around. Don't worry. I think you will be fine there for one night.

I have also read some mixed reviews about the Yankee Clipper but certainly not the Hyatt Regency Pier 66! Where did you hear/read this? I know friends who have stayed at the Hyatt and rave about it and even pay going rack rates! I think you may be confusing it with another hotel????

I think you should leave everything alone. I think it's all going to work out fine for you. The Yankee Clipper may be older and a bit shop-worn but being a Starwood property, it can't be that bad. They have high standards.

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 and found it to be a wonderful hotel. When booking through priceline, you will get the lanai rooms, which I had and found to be very nice, especially for the price. The tower rooms, as I hear it, won't be given to priceline winners, but the lanai rooms were beautiful, we were perfectly happy here. I am sure you will be as well, its a beautiful hotel.

The Yankee is, as someone else stated, a bit past it's prime, but not horrible. The location is great, right on the beach. Our room was outdated, but clean, which is important to me. I wouldn't want to stay for a week, but for one or two nights itwould be fine.

I've wondered about the Sheraton Yankee Clipper too but if it's just for one night, I'm sure it will be fine. It seems like prime beach location which is great. Enjoy! Be sure to write a review when you return!

Thanks to all of you who reponded to my dilema! I read most of the comments on the Frommers website and a few from other booking websites that offer a review space. I wasn't as worried about the Hyatt as I was the Yankee Clipper, but think I'll look toward the positive and forge ahead. Again, thanks to al who took the time to help me.

Pam

We got the Hyatt Pier 66 using Priceline ($110) for our post-cruise hotel after our October cruise on the Coral Princess. We're actually looking forward to being in the lanai rooms rather than the tower rooms because they are near the pool. The Hyatt is a gorgeous property.....relax! http://pier66.hyatt.com/property/hotelinfo/slideshow/index.jhtml;jsessionid=1E5YIYJSC0JWLTQSNWDVAGGOCJWYYUP4

Most of the negative reviews for the Yankee Clipper were on Expedia and Travelocity. The Hyatt Pier 66 did a lot better. I guess I'm afraid of getting a scuzzy, smelly room. Had the same thing happen in Las Vegas at the Sahara, although not through Priceline. I wouldn't let my dog stay there!!

Pam

I, too, am fond of Hyatt Regency Pier 66, having stayed there several times over the years, most recently this Winter.

A word of advice about the rooms in the lanai section: ask for a room with a patio or balcony. There are some that have neither.

Be sure to visit the Pier Top revolving cocktail lounge. An outside observation platform allows one to have a magnificent view of Port Everglades. And the Pelican Bar and Grill overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway is a great place for a light meal or just a drink or two.

Enjoy your stay!

Archived