How are cabins on decks 1 & 2???

hunnibee72

Hi, we just booked a cruise on the Splendor on Jan 20, 2014. We have an inside stateroom for 4 and will most likely be given a cabin on decks 1 or 2. Does anyone know how they are? Are there any benefits or negative aspects for having a cabin so low in the ship? We know it will be cramped, and that's ok, just wondering about noise, motion ect... Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Melissa :o

Hi, we just booked a cruise on the Splendor on Jan 20, 2014. We have an inside stateroom for 4 and will most likely be given a cabin on decks 1 or 2. Does anyone know how they are? Are there any benefits or negative aspects for having a cabin so low in the ship? We know it will be cramped, and that's ok, just wondering about noise, motion ect... Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Carol & I have stayed on Deck 1 once. The biggest advantage to us was being able to walk up one flight of stairs to get to our room after excursions/visiting ports of call. Sometimes the lines are very long for the elevators. However, on the down side, getting up to the Lido deck for morning coffee is a LONG walk.

Not Splendor specifically, but in general the low decks have less noise and less motion. Another advantage is that when you get back on board from port, it's a short trip to your cabin. No waiting with the crowds for an elevator.

The disadvantage if you have an oceanview cabin is that you are really close to the water. But since you're in an inside cabin, that won't be an issue. :)

The cabins themselves are identical so you won't be any more cramped on a low deck than a high deck.

The big disadvantage (as I see it) is having to wait for an elevator up to deck 10 Lido. Positioning yourself in the middle of the ship its much easier to go one or two decks up or down to get where you want to go.

On my next weeks Liberty sailing we took a Lido deck balcony... wanted to be closer to the action. Less wasted time waiting for an elevator.

The disadvantage if you have an oceanview cabin is that you are really close to the water. But since you're in an inside cabin, that won't be an issue. :)

That's interesting. I like being close to the water (sometimes under it ;)) I really feel like I'm on the ocean.

I like the low decks because there is less side-to-side swaying motion, and well, I can usually get a good rate. As other people have mentioned, the biggest disadvantage is you're about as far away from the buffet as you can get. The elevators aren't usually an issue for me because I like to walk.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

We prefer it, mid-ship, Riviera deck please.

Quiet, dark, as we choose insides to cruise. Easy to get off and on at Ports. We dislike the loud and crowded Lido deck, so being far from it, no problem. Pretty stable and close to the water. And, the stairs are good exercise. I go for morning coffee at around 5 or 6, no problem with elevator at that time of time if I choose :)

We prefer it, mid-ship, Riviera deck please.

Quiet, dark, as we choose insides to cruise. Easy to get off and on at Ports. We dislike the loud and crowded Lido deck, so being far from it, no problem. Pretty stable and close to the water. And, the stairs are good exercise. I go for morning coffee at around 5 or 6, no problem with elevator at that time of time if I choose :)

Same here. :):)

Depends on the ship. Being one a very low deck can be quite noisy when things bang against the hull. We were one a ship once where folks in them called their cabins the "Boom-Boom Rooms". :rolleyes:

They laughed about it and had a great cruise anyway. :D

LuLu

~~~~

So that could be an advantage or a disadvantage. :) I guess I like to be a little farther from the waves.

Honestly, if I weren't worried about motion sickness, I'd probably prefer to be up a few levels, but not all the way up. Main or Upper, to see over the waves ;)

Edited by SnowshoeCat

If you are pretty far forward or aft, you may here some noise coming in to port, but we had an inside on the Riviera Deck on the Paradise and it was very quiet.

My wife and I like the porthole rooms, pay for an inside, but get a little view.

Lower decks typically feel less ocean motion. :-) All the way forward, you can experience noise from the water hitting the hull.

Thank you all for your quick responses!!! I feel much better about getting a cabin on one of these decks. I usually cruise on decks 6 and above and have only had an inside stateroom once, but for a last minute cruise I couldn't resist the price!! :):)

The ONLY bad thing about deck two is getting a cabin under the galley.

That can happen on any ship, depends on what level.

There are many more pros than cons to the low decks. As for hearing waves, wouldn't that be in a porthole? By the way, porthole cabins are the neatest cabins. Cabin sizes are no different be it high or low.

Carol & I have stayed on Deck 1 once. The biggest advantage to us was being able to walk up one flight of stairs to get to our room after excursions/visiting ports of call. Sometimes the lines are very long for the elevators. However, on the down side, getting up to the Lido deck for morning coffee is a LONG walk.

A good reason to order room service!:D

• 2 months later...

You may hear a humming engine noise. We stayed on Rivera deck but much prefer lido deck.

We always book a porthole cabin on deck 1 or 2. The only thing that may be an issue is noise. If you are in the front, you may hear the waves hitting the front of the ship. It can be a loud booming sound. It is actually kind of cool to hear the waves. In the back, you will hear the engines when the ship is docking in port:)