1st time ships are in a new port - possible problems?

tbmrt

I remember encountering quite a problem when we visited a port that a cruiseship had not been at before (another cruiseline).

I don't remember the reason, but think we had to make our way to the various public areas and show our passports or ship cards (I don't remember which) in the very early morning when the "authorities" boarded.

This had to be at one of the Caribbean islands.

Has anyone encountered this on prior MSC cruises?

Only ever had hassle when entering US ports. Couple of hours for us all to get our passports checked.

Lots of ports have local authorities checking cruise cards into and out of port, some also want you to show passports as you get on and off. Don't think it's so much the ship that matter as local immigration and the nationalities of the passengers onboard

My experience is that you hand over your passport to the cruise line. For arrival at some countries, you are required to appear in some notified lounge, collect your passport, appear in front of that country's officials then surrender it back to the cruise line on the way out. This has happened a few times in my limited cruise experience. Once they no longer require your passport, the cruise line staggers the collections.

Edited by Skipper Tim

This year in Venice they would not allow you back on the Divina after initially going onboard if you did not have a valid I.D with you and the cruise card, the same happened in St Maarten and San Juan Porto Rico.