when you are on Princess cruises on Christmas Eve / day what goes on ?

Moviegirlnyorlando

I am curious about being in port on Christmas day and Christmas eve. Is everything closed? Are there tours other than those offered by Princess?

The taxis are always working. We took a taxi tour in St. Lucia in 2010. In Marigot Bay it rained so we went into a bar. They were setting up for Christmas Dinner but served us drinks. The rum punch was lovely, especially when they announced it was happy hour. :D

We missed Santa`s afternoon visit but the Captain had announced that they had swept the funnels and left one of the engines off to let him use it. :)

We are booked on the Ruby during Christmas week. We will be at Princess Cay on Christmas Eve and at sea on Christmas Day. Can anyone who has sailed Princess on the actual holiday state specific Christmas activities we can expect ? Is it true they make it "snow" and of so is that every evening or only on Christmas Eve or day ? I imagine there will be Turkey etc offered at Christmas dinner but do they do any type of special foods for Christmas Eve or snacks? Is there a special breakfast Christmas morning ? Are there scholarship@sea Christmas crafts ? Is there Christmas songs on karaoke ? I heard there will be staff members caroling but are there any activities with guests caroling? Is there cookie decorating or gingerbread house making or anything like that ? Does anyone have a past patters for Christmas for the Ruby or any Christmas cruise ??

If this turns out to be festive enough we may make this a annual thing to avoid the hustle and bustle on land , all the stress of cooking and cleaning and baking., but I still want it to feel like Christmas

Please , II am interested in any insight here as we've never sailed on Christmas

sorry to say I wouldn't expect much. WE just got off PRincess for Thanksgiving and it was nothing special. just like any other day on the ship.

On Sea Princess, 2010 there were gingerbread houses made. It was a lovely display. I tried to upload a photo but it failed. There was a crew choir singing carols a couple of nights and a passenger and crew choir singing on Christmas Eve. The Captain made a speech. It was a formal night. The children were all given presents from Santa on Christmas day.

We were on the Coral for Christmas last year. The cruise director gathered the children together (along with many adults including me) and read to them. It was a lot of fun and really felt like Christmas. However, we were in Aruba on Christmas Day and all the stores were closed. There were a very few kiosks open.

I was on the Coral last Christmas (2012) also, however we were in Cartagena on Christmas day and Aruba on the 26th.

In the tourist area of Cartagena (near the beach) everything was open however, everything in the "old" section was closed.

As for Aruba, again the Coral was there on the 26th, the stores where the locals shop were closed, the tourist stores were open.

I was in St Thomas a few years ago on Christmas day and everything was open. We will be there on Christmas day again this year on the Royal. There are like 7 ship in STT that day, including one in the anchorage tendering (which I havent seen in a long time). Given that amount of traffic and potential revenue, I'msure most shops will be open, perhaps opening a little later than usual and probably closing as soon as the ships leave.

My DH, Son, Sister, and I took a holiday cruise (Christmas and New Year 07-08) on the Sapphire from Bangkok to Sydney and it was fantastic! All I did was hang a wreath on my front door at home and left…..no crazy shopping, stress, cooking, wrapping, decorating, or baking. The Sapphire was beautifully decorated, the special meals prepared, and Sammi Baker, our CD, filled our days with warm traditional functions….caroling in the atrium with snow falling, gingerbread house building, Santa for the kids, religious services, decor for your door….all the fun of the holidays and not one thing to do but show up! We actually enjoyed Christmas Day in Viet Nam…how different could you get? New Year's Eve was amazing…parties all over the ship with different live music in each location. No worries about driving or cleaning up after a party.

Each year since, as I decorate the house and go crazy baking, I think back to that trip and promise myself that I will do it again.

I took my very first cruise AND Christmas cruise while living inn Bali. After spending the 1st Christmas on a Hindu island in a Muslim nation, I vowed to leave the following Christmas, not to mention it's monsoon season! What a delight it was to fly into Singapore and see Christmas decorations across the streets. I even took an open top bus tour the night before just to see all the lights. Then I boarded my RC cruise the next morning and after visiting Phuket and Langkawi we ended up in Kuala Lumpur for Christmas. The ship was magically decorated, which is why I have since taken the Princess cruise to Panama over Christmas and an taking this cruise to "no-where" this year. I considered the itinerary to Aruba and Curacao but having been there many times it would only have been for my Mother to see Curacao as she's been to Aruba on the Panama cruise. The poster above mentioned some places not being open on Christmas and Boxing Days, so that it why I opted for the Ruby. Can not wait! See you onboard!

sorry to say I wouldn't expect much. WE just got off PRincess for Thanksgiving and it was nothing special. just like any other day on the ship.

I think for most people, Christmas is a bigger deal than Thanksgiving. The reports here from those who have done Christmas cruises are that the OP can expect quite a lot. Thanksgiving is only celebrated by US passengers (Canadians celebrate the second Monday in October)(Most other nationalities don't have Thanksgiving) while Christmas is more widely observed so I think Princess takes more trouble.

I think for most people, Christmas is a bigger deal than Thanksgiving. The reports here from those who have done Christmas cruises are that the OP can expect quite a lot. Thanksgiving is only celebrated by US passengers (Canadians celebrate the second Monday in October)(Most other nationalities don't have Thanksgiving) while Christmas is more widely observed so I think Princess takes more trouble.

I was just about to say the same thing. I haven't been on a cruise during Thanksgiving week, but would expect just maybe turkey on the menu to appease the passengers from the US. But really, what holiday traditions do many associated with even the US Thanksgiving other than a big meal with the extended family, watching parades/football games on TV?

I have been on three holiday cruises on Princess and have found them jammed packed with Christmas and New Years activities; even Hanukkah menorah lightings when on during Hanukkah.

I don't think you can assume there's not much happening on the holiday ones by just being on a cruise during Thanksgiving.

The big question would be if anything (other than beaches) are open if you happen to be in port on Christmas Day. That would take some research (maybe emailing some attractions you're interested in).

We are tendered on Christmas Eve day (princes cay on Eulethra Island, Bahamas) and at sea on Christmas Day. we're turn home on 12/26 usually the last day of a a cruise I'm a little sad, but this last full day will be CHRISTMAS day! I am very excited about avoiding all thr hustle and bustle and cleaning and cooking, our two eldest children aren't going on the cruise though so we are hosting a small Christmas party on 12/14, but I'm not putting up a tree, just have up a few decorations and the maid comes a couple of days before we leave for the cruise, is we will come home to a clean, uncluttered house to ring in a quiet new year uncluttered fresh and de stressed from our cruise, at home

I am getting so excited ! And hungry ! I grew up in a German narighborhood in NYC and those Christmas desserts above reminded me of the old world style Christmases of my childhood ! Sounds delish ! I Want some Christmas pudding,gingerbread soufflé and panteonne now with a cup of Christmas tea !

We have been on three holiday cruises and have really enjoyed all three. Cruise ships are beautifully decorated and many gingerbread houses are the norm.

Caroling on Christmas eve in the atrium and a lovely holiday show always occur. Santa appears...even on the amazon... along with a festive lunch buffet.

You will get a gift (our gift from our REgent cruise was a Tiffany Bowl sent before the trip.) princess always serves turkey as a choice for Christmas dinner. One cruise our holiday show was Ben Vareen However I presume the days of flying someone like him in are over.

New years on board ship is the best. Usually formal night, a lovely dinner and then a balloon drop with the captain presiding and Champagne at midnight. Plus of course lots of places to dance. Really a lot of fun.

Yes there will be children onboard...but we have never had problems with that.

We take Christmas cards from friends and family and attach to our cabin walls. Also a tiny tree we decorated with key chains from the ports we visited. And we put those gel decorations on our doors. Our "gift exchange" was small gifts also bought in ports. We even last year had 12 for cocktails in our suite.I brought festive napkins and battery candles and we had a great time.