Luggage Question

I am trying to plan & pack wisely, but always seem to go over. Usually I talk my way out of it. I am nervous about my Baltic cruise. Looking over the airline details it looks like 2 suitcases 70 pounds each, I think I'll be ok.

My question is for Carry-on items. I usually bring along a roller suitcase (22" max size). Can I bring this to Europe as a carry-on??

Have seen some weights for 12 pounds, my pocketbook weighs more than that.

Thanks so much for your help & advice. :confused:

Check with your airline. Most give overall measurements for carry-on bags as well as checked luggage. However, it depends on your airline as to whether they actually weigh/measure the carry-ons. For example, for the airline we flew to Copenhagen, a 20" suitcase was supposedly the size limit and anything larger would be checked. We packed accordingly, but I know that others had larger bags and I didn't see anyone checking them.

I hate to tell you this because I have talked my way out of many a charge for luggage overage (we're really nice and are almost always treated well in return), but the airlines departing the U.S. are really cracking down on this in the last year. We've flown many dozens of flights inside Europe with much lower luggage restrictions and were only charged for overage once for $154, which was well worth it because the flights are so cheap and usually under $100 per person one-way (cheaper than the train). From what I read and observe personally, the European airlines are getting a little more strict, but they're still giving Americans traveling overseas a bit of a break. But I wonder how much longer we will be able to talk our way out of overages in Europe. I usually contact the airlines in advance (like I did for London to Lisbon flight last year) and have a note put on my record.

Bottom line is that I'm packing lighter every year and planning to use the laundry services on board this year because it's so much easier to travel lighter, cheaper than luggage overage charges, and I have more room to bring back new treasure.

I sympathize with you because I like to have a lot of clothes choices and like to drag the comforts of home with me.

Good luck,

Donna

My wife adn I just did a 10 day cruise with no luggage. Not on purpose, but it can be done! No messy cabin, pondering what to wear, concerns over shoes matching outfits, tuxedo issues, laundry to do on return...try it!

Seriously, don't pack one bag per person; split your stuff between the two suitcases, so if one bag is lost, at least you each have something. And remember, you can't buy shoes on a ship and it's a pain to buy them ashore as well.

What is said in this note when you contact the airlines??

Sorry that wasn't clear. I was actually referring to the European airlines like Ryanair, etc., and they put a note in their reservations system that we are traveling from the U.S. (not on their airline) and will have luggage overage. Basically, the European airlines don't fly as full as the U.S. airlines and generally have much better service, so they'll do extra to sell you a ticket whereas the U.S. airlines won't. So when we present ourselves at check-in with luggage over the very small amount allowed by European airlines, if the agent says anything at that point (they very rarely do), we advise them that a note was made on our reservation at the time of booking. As I said before, I don't know how much longer this will work, but I have friends who have done this on numerous flights this year with no problem.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived