Bringing wine on board question

Planmaam

OK, I usually bring a bottle or two of wine on board, paying the corkage fee. For my next cruise, I am wanting to bring a bottle of sherry, abv 17.5.

My question is whether they will allow this, as it is truly not a wine, but the alcohol content is less than some wines.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with this who can share how NCL viewed this? My anticipation of any response should I call NCL would be different each time I call and ask.

Thanks in advance for any input you can share.

Hello!

I found some other threads about stronger wines, but most of them are not very useful. The following contain some decent info and anecdotes, but still no absolutely definite answer:

Corkage fee and high alcohol (specialty) wines

Sherry...Port...?

"Port" or "Sherry"...Considered Wine ?..to Bring on Board

Question about sake, UBP, and bringing wine on board

Personally, I wouldn't bother calling NCL about this. It sounds like they do have some unpublished rule about alcohol content, and if you press them for an official answer, they will probably say that sherry is not allowed. But lots of people seem to have brought sherry and port and so on aboard with no problem. So I would just take your bottle and and be nice to whoever's checking carry-on wine at boarding. (Obligatory personal anecdote: The last time I did this, there was no one checking at boarding, so we didn't pay corkage for the bottles we drank in the cabin :)).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I only bought the wine as I had read on the forums about the set up at Barcelona. The wine shop was at the foot of the escalator before you entered the ship. Plenty of staff to greet you on and you did have to show your boarding pass but no x-ray scan and from what I have read on various forums I wasn't just lucky this is the normal procedure. Other cruise lines may be different.

This brings up the question of whether the scanners are NCL's' date=' or the ports. Do you think each NCL ship only has one scanner, and it is usually located mid-ship? (From ports, not original embarkation.)[/quote']

Nope, there are scanners for each gangway passengers (and crew) uses.

We never had any problems with taking Port on HAL but they never checked close, but I have seen several posts about NCL checking closer and not allowing Port or other fortified wines aboard so it may be hit or miss.:confused: