Alaska Cruise - June 2014 - Ketchikan Shore Excursion Decision

sabrefan

Trying to choose between two excursions. Misty Fiords & Wilderness Explorer which by catamaran, 4.5 hrs in length or Classic Misty Fiords Flight Seeing which is about 2 hrs. In length. Would be interested in hearing from members who have done both.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did the catamaran trip two years ago (with a different cruise line) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The boat was able to get up close to a number of features that wouldn't be visible from an airplane, such as petroglyphs.

The biggest drawback was that the catamaran trip we took was so long that we got back to the ship just before departure time and didn't see anything of Ketchikan itself.

The flight

There is NOTHING like it

My husband is a pilot and even he was amazed.

The vistas were incredible and then we landed in the water (sea plane) and got out on the pontoons. Once in a lifetime. They fly Otters. My husband flew them in the army in Alaska in fact. For him it was a trip down memory line and the pilot let him sit second seat.

You can book it cheaper yourself BTW

I haven't done the catamaran excursion, but I second the vote the the fiords flight by seaplane. We did this in 2009 and it was thrilling, most especially the landing on the clear, still water of the fiord. We were in Ketchikan in early September and were lucky enough to have beautiful, clear weather, which was perfect for the flight.

Edited by NYAS

I haven't done the catamaran excursion, but I second the vote the the fiords flight by seaplane. We did this in 2009 and it was thrilling, most especially the landing on the clear, still water of the fiord. We were in Ketchikan in early September and were lucky enough to have beautiful, clear weather, which was perfect for the flight.

Your comments of the perfect flying conditions reminded me of some posts on the Alaska board when I was researching before our cruise.

I read a complaint there was no mist and others that it was too foggy and they could not see much at all from the boat. There was of course posts that they could not fly because of weather (as one would have to anticipate) but it made me smile that the porridge was too hot for some and too cold for others.

Glad you had a great flight

We did the Misty Fjords flightseeing this June and it was amazing! No mist, so the views were fantastic.

We booked independently with Island Wings, which is highly rated on the Alaska forum, and we had a great time. She lands on the water and taxis to the shore. You get off the plane and can walk around and enjoy the amazing views, which is much better than just standing on the pontoons.

There is mention on that forum that this type of excursion is the most frequently cancelled in Alaska, but we had great weather and a great time.