Azura - where does she dock in Dominica?

YORKI1

We will be arriving on Monday 30 December 2013.

Roseau appears to be the main port on Dominica, although I have seen a review that stated the Azure docked / tendered about 30 miles from Roseau.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where the Azura normally docks / tenders.

Thank you.

I took this directly from Cruise Critics ports section

Where You're Docked

Most ships dock at Roseau Cruise Ship terminal. It's located in town, just steps away from shops, restaurants and transportation. The Port of Woodbridge Bay, less frequently used, is about a mile north of the city.

Some smaller ships may dock at the Portsmouth Cruise Ship facility on the northwestern tip of the island, about 30 miles northwest of Roseau. Travel time is roughly one hour.

Azura is large, so I imagine you will be in Roseau.

Jean

Edited by jeanlyon

We will be arriving on Monday 30 December 2013.

Roseau appears to be the main port on Dominica, although I have seen a review that stated the Azure docked / tendered about 30 miles from Roseau.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where the Azura normally docks / tenders.

Thank you.

We have docked in Roeau just opposite the town on previous cruises but this month we were a good 20 minute walk from the town which a number of passengers were unhappy with as it was a long walk in the heat. Personally unless you are on an excursion I wouldn't bother getting off. But that's just my opinion.

We have docked in Roeau just opposite the town on previous cruises but this month we were a good 20 minute walk from the town which a number of passengers were unhappy with as it was a long walk in the heat. Personally unless you are on an excursion I wouldn't bother getting off. But that's just my opinion.

We also have docked at both ports with the Azura. The first time we were about a mile from the town but it seemed more with the heat.

There is not a lot to see in Roseau, it is very run down and not a lot in the way of cafes etc to sit and have a drink.

When we go next February we are going to book a trip with Bumpiing tours to the emerald pool and possibly the Carib indian reservation. Unless you are into nature/hiking there is not a lot to do. Although there is a bit of a market near the port in Roseau.

A little tip is to take an umbrella/waterproof as they do seem to get quite a bit of rain.

Molly

Yes, if there are 2 ships one has to dock about a mile out of town and its not pleasant. Not much to do in Roseau and unless you do a trip it's not really worth getting off. We seem to go to Dominica every time we go to the Caribbean and don't even bother getting off now.

Thanks for the heads-up. I visit in a week or so and you may have saved me walk!

Suggest you try Bumpiing tours. Very reasonable $50 pp for the day. They will pick you up from either port

We are booking with Bumpiing tours in February. I have read loads of reviews and there was not one bad one, and at around $50 pp the tours are really good value.

Molly

Thank you all for your help.

From the pictures I have seen and what visitors/locals say Dominica looks like a beautiful island, although not very developed. I am looking forward to seeing the island for myself.

This is my first P&O cruise, normally Royal C and I am surprised how reasonable the tour prices are. I have compared a few local firms with P&O and have decided to do Dominica's Favourite's ship excursion, its 4.5 hours long and costs £42. A similar tour with a local firm is £50, although it is 1.5 hours shorter.

It is definitely worth doing a tour on Dominica - it's a beautiful island - but I agree as far as just wandering around the port. We have docked mostly in the town when we've been there but last time on Azura we did dock outside. We were on a tour so it didn't affect us but for those who weren't it certainly was a bit of a walk to go into town. Hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Ibeautifulfinitely worth doing a tour on Dominica - it's a beautiful island - but I agree as far as just wandering around the port. We have docked mostly in the town when we've been there but last time on Azura we did dock outside. We were on a tour so it didn't affect us but for those who weren't it certainly was a bit of a walk to go into town. Hope you have a wonderful time. :)

I agree that Dominica is beautifully but once you have toured the rainforest and gone whale watching, there is nothing else to do due to the lack of a decent beach.

We have docked in town and also outside,it was a nice change to have a walk into town though was so hot we did get the shuttle bus back. There are craft stalls in the hanger at the out of town dock.The botanical gardens are well worth a visit and enjoyed a walk around the town,find it so interesting to see different places.Can recommend the ships RIB tour here.