? About anybody who has been to Stuarts Cove and used the Mini Subs

davvvy

I have a question for anybody that has done this excursion. Its a mini sub adventure in Nassau. I booked it but found out afterwords that if you are on anti depressants you cannot use them. They wouldn't give me a clear answer as to why not. Heres what it says:

"Guests need to be in Good physical health and cannot be pregnant, no asthma, no epilepsy, no diabetes, no

personal history of heart attacks or heart problems, strokes, no recently diagnosed High Blood pressure, no

antidepressant medications or other potential contraindicated medications. Guests must be able to equalize your

ears without problems. (Similar to in an airplane) Young children must be of adequate size to fit into the equipment

and capable of carrying a 40 pound tank on their back. Children under the age of 18 must participate with a parent

or guardian. Children must be 12 years of age to participate. Maximum weight per personal submarine is 250

pounds"

I can't get a refund for this and I really wanted to do it but...I'm not sure if I should risk it. I've never went diving or anything similiar to it so I'm not sure what role anti depressants play in all of this.

• 4 months later...

I do know that one sub participant on our last adventure did not disclose her diabetic condition, and was really "out of it" when she surfaced from her sub ride. The crew was really upset, and took her condition very seriously, having a speed boat race out to take her and her companion back to port. Hopefully all ended well for her.

I don't know all the medical reasoning behind what occurred, but based on the stress level shown by the crew, I would heed their advice, and think safety first, and unfortunately the financial consideration second.

With a Google search, I found this: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Medications_for_Depression_and_Fitness_to_Dive

Usually dive operators require you to fill out a medical questionnaire. If you answer "yes" to some of the questions (such as if you are on medication for high blood pressure), you must have a letter from your doctor saying that you are OK to dive. My father was able to dive even after heart surgery because his doctor gave him clearance.

If you really want to do the mini-subs, you should consider seeing your doctor to get his/her opinion.