My fabulous Jewel cruise 11/9/13!

khm1

[quote name='tigger-ttfn']Thanks so much for posting about Martinque. It has been frustrating for me to plan. We leave on Jewel on Sat same intinerary. Think I may just book the walking tour and hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

You are right! It is very frustrating to plan for this port. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that taxis are very expensive. The fares are in Euros and the drivers usually do not speak English. I would not try to rent a car here, and I am relatively adventurous. I have rented cars in St. Thomas, St. John, St. Martin, and Aruba. The traffic in Fort-de-France was terrible! I would not risk renting a car.

Another excursion that you may want to consider is the Balata Gardens. It is supposed to be really beautiful. You should be able to easily get information about the ferries if you are interested in hitting the beach. I think that I read that they cost about 6 Euros each way.

Day 6: St. Lucia
The last port was definitely the best! I love, love, LOVE St. Lucia! I had been there twice before. The first time, we did a Land and Sea tour that lasted 7 hours. It was wonderful, but exhausting. The second time, I went with Spencer Ambrose on his Jalousie Beach break tour. I loved it so much I booked it for this cruise!

We docked on time at 7 am. We were off the ship by 8 and waiting for Spencer. He turned up on time, as promised. There were several other couples waiting. Some were on the Beach break and others were on the Land and Sea tour. Right at 9, we walked over to a small pier area that was very close to the ship. We boarded the boat. We went to the center of the harbor to swap some passengers between 2 boats. The Celebrity Summit was in port as well. We had some people from that ship as well.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/ateqy4y4.jpg[/IMG]

We were underway with Spencer at the helm. He has a very nice boat. I think that it seats about 20 people. He has two, 300 horsepower motors on it. That boat can MOVE! As soon as we got out of the harbor, Spencer hit that throttle and we were flying! I found the ride to be exhilarating. There were a couple of people who looked nervous. I wasn’t worried. Spencer knows what he is doing! Here is a picture of his best boat:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/4uhe9e5y.jpg[/IMG]

We arrived at Jalousie beach right around 9:40. We were the first ones there and had our pick of lounge chairs. DH and I picked our chairs and marveled at the scenery for a few minutes. We decided to go snorkeling early. Last time I did this excursion, the snorkeling area got crowded as the day went on.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/mu4e2ada.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/u5eha8y3.jpg[/IMG]

The snorkeling was very good. I thought that it was better than Trunk Bay, but not as good as Buck Island. I have no snorkeling photos since my water camera broke sometime during my waterfall swim in Puerto Rico.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/u8e3e3yt.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/7azytaru.jpg[/IMG]

Included in the price of this excursion is all the drinks that you want. They had several types of soda, bottled water, Piton beer, and Rum punch. At around noon, they served a very good picnic lunch. It included roasted chicken, noodle salad, rice and beans, Taro root, green banana salad. It was very good.

We spent the entire day snorkeling, relaxing, swimming, drinking, eating, and enjoying the stunning scenery. The pictures really do not do the natural beauty justice. It is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been.

We all boarded the boat again and headed back to the ship at around 2:30. It takes a little longer to get back since Spencer stops for pictures and to show several points of interest. We saw the resorts Jade Mountain and Anse Chastanet. We passed some fishing villages. The bat cave is really creepy. Spencer drives the boat right up to the face of the a cliff with a fissure in the cliff. The entire cave is covered with bats. You can hear the high-pitched noise that they make. We also went through Marigot bay.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/repevuhu.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/agy5ate3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/rebuvumy.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/2uqu9upe.jpg[/IMG]

We came back to the pier at around 3:30. All aboard time was 4:30. We had a little time to walk around the shops. A word of warning: the rum punch that they serve on the ride back is powerful. There was one unfortunate victim who could barely get back to her cabin. Know your limits people! I dumped my punch into the sea after a couple of sips.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/3u8aje2u.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/a2e5ema7.jpg[/IMG]

That night was the Fisherman’s plate in the main dining room. I wish that I had my camera with me. The lobsters were ENORMOUS! I was astounded at their size.

We went to the show that night. The Headliner was Tony Tillman. He was REALLY GOOD! Don’t miss him if you have an opportunity to see him. Wow, he has a lot of energy! We enjoyed him a lot.

Finally, our last day was at sea. Tomorrow I will wrap up my review with some final thoughts and highlights.

Could you tell me how much Spencer charged for his tour? And did you book it directly through him? We are on this same itinerary and are looking to snorkel on one of the islands. We've been to St. Lucia before and also took the all day tour. The island is beautiful - but we, too, were tired when we got back from that tour! Thinking that perhaps we should do some snorkeling this time on St. Lucia.
Sue Edited by suep

[quote name='suep']Could you tell me how much Spencer charged for his tour? And did you book it directly through him? We are on this same itinerary and are looking to snorkel on one of the islands. We've been to St. Lucia before and also took the all day tour. The island is beautiful - but we, too, were tired when we got back from that tour! Thinking that perhaps we should do some snorkeling this time on St. Lucia.
Sue[/QUOTE]

We paid $75/person. However, I got a ten dollar discount for being a repeat customer. We paid cash on arrival at Jalousie beach. He is now taking credit cards, but does not advertise that fact yet. I think that it would normally be $85/person. Keep in mind that this includes the boat ride and return tour, lunch, and all that you can drink. Spencer's staff keep a close eye on their customers. It was a very relaxing, enjoyable day! Google Spencer Ambrose for his website. He even has a video.

[quote name='DavyJoneses']excellent photos..added a lot to a very good review.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I ran out of time today. I will post the end of my review tomorrow or Friday. Real life gets in the way!

[quote name='khm1']We paid $75/person. However, I got a ten dollar discount for being a repeat customer. We paid cash on arrival at Jalousie beach. He is now taking credit cards, but does not advertise that fact yet. I think that it would normally be $85/person. Keep in mind that this includes the boat ride and return tour, lunch, and all that you can drink. Spencer's staff keep a close eye on their customers. It was a very relaxing, enjoyable day! Google Spencer Ambrose for his website. He even has a video.[/quote]

Thanks!!!

Up thru the end of the 90's, Martinique was a regular stop for most of the US based cruise lines. The locals were never friendly to the mostly English speaking tourists and eventually all the lines pulled out except for HAL, which has been sending the old small Veendam for the last several years. Interesting to see what happens now that regular stops are being phased in by more mainstream lines and ships.

Are most of the island pictures off a cell phone?

[quote name='The Big Booper']Up thru the end of the 90's, Martinique was a regular stop for most of the US based cruise lines. The locals were never friendly to the mostly English speaking tourists and eventually all the lines pulled out except for HAL, which has been sending the old small Veendam for the last several years. Interesting to see what happens now that regular stops are being phased in by more mainstream lines and ships.

Are most of the island pictures off a cell phone?[/QUOTE]

We did not run into any unfriendly people in Martinique. I expected to, but I have to say that everyone was very nice!

I had my regular camera for St. Lucia. Most of the other photos were from my Droid RAZR Max. El Yunque pictures were from my "waterproof" camera that turned out to be not so waterproof!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

[quote name='mikechass']LOVING the review...
Thanks so much for doing it.
I think we are going to try a B2B in 2015 out of San Juan.
I am loving this so much!
Thanks again!!
Chass[/QUOTE]

You will love a B2B out of San Juan! I would love to do that someday.....Thank you for your kind words!

[quote name='tigger-ttfn']St Lucia is my favorite island as well. I've done Cosols tour and doing it again this trip which I leave for San Juan tomorrow. Your review has me all pumped up for this trip. Thank you[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! Have a great trip!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Thank you for your review! We are going on JOS in November for our 40th anniversary and appreciate what you had to say. We will be stopping at St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John's, St. Lucia, Antiqua and Grenada so much of what you said was meaningful to us! This certainly is a port-intensive cruise.

Thanks so much for all the pix and info!

Hi - me again!

Went to the website - spencerambrose.com which was very informative.

You say that you got to the beach early and were able to snag chairs. What is the situation for those people who were not there early enough to get chairs? We are a little older and would like to sit in a chair (so we don't look so foolish getting up!!) and we also wonder about shade/umbrella. Could please let us know what the situation is at Jalousie Beach?? Thanks, again!

We did the Spencer Ambrose tour- it was fun despite the weather. Would have liked more time at the beach but as it was the weather didn't cooperate! The beach area where you will have access to the loungers is very tight and crowded, however we just placed our towels on the other section of beach and walked over to snorkel and have access to the ice chests. Wasn't a problem. Wasn't far. If getting a lounge chair is important to you I would email Spencer and ask him what you need to do to get to the beach earlier. Have fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='chickadee1']Hi - me again!

Went to the website - spencerambrose.com which was very informative.

You say that you got to the beach early and were able to snag chairs. What is the situation for those people who were not there early enough to get chairs? We are a little older and would like to sit in a chair (so we don't look so foolish getting up!!) and we also wonder about shade/umbrella. Could please let us know what the situation is at Jalousie Beach?? Thanks, again![/QUOTE]

If you are not there early, with the Beach break tour, you may not get chairs. If you need a chair, you should email Spencer directly. He and his staff are very good about looking after their customers. There is plenty of natural shade and a few palapas. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answers - will definitely email Spencer! Was planning on taking the Beach Break excursion so it sounds like we will be there early enough!! Is the boat tied up at a dock or do you have to swim to shore?? Edited by chickadee1

[quote name='chickadee1']Thank you for your answers - will definitely email Spencer! Was planning on taking the Beach Break excursion so it sounds like we will be there early enough!! Is the boat tied up at a dock or do you have to swim to shore??[/QUOTE]

It is docked. You do not need to swim unless you want to. The ride to the beach is exhilarating! Spencer's boat can really move! Have fun, you won't be sorry that you picked this excursion. Here is a picture of the beach.[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/05/ezu5uda2.jpg[/IMG]

Great review. I will be on the same cruise this march and have two questions.

[quote name='khm1']Embarkation day!

We went back to the hotel and packed up our stuff. We relaxed on the balcony for a while with a cup of coffee. We gathered our things and left the hotel at about 11 am. We were at the ship in no time. There was absolutely no line when we got there at 11:15.

Exactly at one, they opened the door to the cabins.[/quote]

In my document is written, that boarding starts from 1 pm, was that in yours as well and "only" the rooms are available at one and I can already board by 11 am?

[quote name='khm1']
At about 2 pm, we decided to head over to Old San Juan to walk around and shop. I noticed that at that time, there was a pretty long line. We shared a cab with some other people headed the same way and split the fee. I can’t remember, but I think that the fare was $18 for the cab. [/quote]

That was about 18 $ for the whole cab I presume and not per person. Edited by onyx007

[quote name='onyx007']Great review. I will be on the same cruise this march and have two questions.

In my document is written, that boarding starts from 1 pm, was that in yours as well and "only" the rooms are available at one and I can already board by 11 am?

That was about 18 $ for the whole cab I presume and not per person.[/QUOTE]

Most people report that they can board by about 11:30 in San Juan. It was certainly true for us. I have sailed from San Juan many times and didn't figure this out until about the 3d time. If you get there at one, there will likely be long lines.

Yes, it was about $18 for the entire cab from the pier to OSJ.

I hope that you have a great cruise! Edited by khm1

Great review!! Thank you so much!! I would also be interested in your final thoughts esp in regards to the ship. We would be first timers on RC and waffling b/n the JOS and AOS. Have read that the JOS is more laid back and possibly more for the "older crowd"???