Most weight you have gained on a cruise

lele100

I am wondering if I am the only one that gains so much weight on a cruise. Imagine my surprise when I got back from an 8 day cruise on the Breeze this past June and saw that I had gained 9lbs in 8 days THAT'S CRAZY.

Boy I got to work right away on getting that off. It took me 2 months to take it off and only 8 days to put it on. So unfair.

Then I started trying to add the calories that I might have consumed in one day and it all made sense.

Below is a list of calories in some drinks, This is just calories in drinks, Now add food and desert on top of that. I swear I must of had at least 4000-5000- calories per day INSANE

Margarita-- 550 Calories

Mai Tai – 620 Calories

Piña Colada – 586 Calories

Long Island Ice Tea – 543 Calories

What about everybody else. What was the most you have ever gained on a cruise

7 lbs. in 2010 on Liberty 7 day.

2000 calorie breakfast every day will do that.

For me (and me only), anything over 2,100 calories a day while sedintary equals weight gain.

Depends on how many calories I go over, vs the amount of excerise that determines my gain or loss.

Obviously if you're more active, you can eat more and not gain. You do the math for you.

This year on Oasis, gained maybe 1 lb if that (negligible gain).

I changed just a couple of habits and still ate plenty.

Ate in moderation (hint-limited snacking and much smaller breakfast).

No late night eating except in small bites.

Shared items rather than eating a whole one of something.

Walked everywhere I could and bypassed elevators as much as possible.

And I did loose about 10 lbs before the cruise to get my bad habits back out.

Edited by m*u*g*

15 pounds on a 7 day cruise - and I ran 4 miles every morning! I think that most of it was water weight putting back into my body, as I had lost 43 pounds in the month leading up to the cruise and I was on a very restrictive diet and working out like a maniac. Still, it was very depressing to get home and see that.

I gained 5 pounds on my last cruise - a 7 nighter. Bound and determined not to do that again this time, it took over a month to lose that weight!!!

I read something somewhere that the desalinization (sp?) process onboard for drinking water doesn't take out all the sea salt, so, I will be bringing bottled water with me. I drink water like a beast, so drinking salty water has to wreak havoc on my water retention issues.

Edited by ViolaSwamp

I gained 5 pounds on my last cruise - a 7 nighter. Bound and determined not to do that again this time, it took over a month to lose that weight!!!

I read something somewhere that the desalinization (sp?) process onboard for drinking water doesn't take out all the sea salt, so, I will be bringing bottled water with me. I drink water like a beast, so drinking salty water has to wreak havoc on my water retention issues.

Really, that explains why the first 5 pounds i gained I lost in alittle over a week because it was water weight but the remaining 4 pounds took me almost 2 months that was FAT

I gained 5 lbs on my last cruise, a 7-night cruise to Bermuda. It didn't take me long to lose it.

I've been working on losing weight and, prior to my cruise in May, I lost 43 lbs. When I mentioned my weight loss to my friend who went on the cruise with me, her only comment was "I hope you don't gain it all back on this cruise." I don't think it would be possible for me to gain that much weight in a week. :confused:

We're going on a 10-night cruise next month. I'm now down 70 lbs. I wonder what my friend will have to say about that. ;)

I have gained 20# on a 7 day cruise, but found that most of it was water retention - I don't eat much salt, and all the food contained more salt than I normally have, so a lot of the weight (except about 4# comes off within the next 7 days).

We did a B2B in August and I believe that I was only up about 7# for the 14 days, so was happy with that ... took about 2 weeks to get the 7# off again.

Jan

I gained 5 lbs on my last cruise, a 7-night cruise to Bermuda. It didn't take me long to lose it.

I've been working on losing weight and, prior to my cruise in May, I lost 43 lbs. When I mentioned my weight loss to my friend who went on the cruise with me, her only comment was "I hope you don't gain it all back on this cruise." I don't think it would be possible for me to gain that much weight in a week. :confused:

We're going on a 10-night cruise next month. I'm now down 70 lbs. I wonder what my friend will have to say about that. ;)

Congrats on your weight loss and getting healthy! Have a great cruise!

On Average I gain about 7 lbs on a cruise...

But when i come home ti takes about 2-3 weeks to get back to normal.. i am doing weight watchers how so hopefully by cruise time it wont be a big deal

Thanks! I want to lose more weight and it's really a struggle, but I look and feel so much better.

I bet! The more weight you lose, the less pressure on your joints, like your knees. Remember to drink water, at least half your body weight in ounces per day. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, divide that in half and you should drink 75 ounces of water per day. I drink 16 ounces of water first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything. Doing that ups your metabolism, gives you a jumpstart on your water for the day and it's free! Do that on your upcoming cruise. Either bring water with you, or order 2 glasses of ice water from room service the night before (I do that). Chug it down and you are ready for your day!

Keep up the great work!!

I drink lots of water every day. I have a container that holds 96 ounces and fill it up every night and put it in my refrigerator. I try to drink all the water the next day. To me, there is nothing better than a cold glass of water. I bring bottles of water with me when I cruise so I have them available at all times and don't have to resort to the overpriced bottles of water in my cabin.

At home, lunch is my main meal of the day. At night I usually have soup and I snack on fruit during the day. I make smoothies with a Nutri-Bullet and put in baby spinach, carrots, sometimes celery or cucumbers, half a banana or other fruit, some yogurt, and water. They are really good and keep me from craving sweet desserts. I buy strawberries, blackberries, and grapes and cut them up and freeze them. My freezer is full of mostly fruit now instead of sodium-loaded Lean Cuisines.

I'm a carb lover and that was the hardest thing for me to cut back on. I love pasta and mashed potatoes but now limit them. Yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner was full of carbs and I ate more carbs than I should have but did restrain myself to one small serving of each with no seconds. I wanted to grab that bowl of mashed potatoes and eat the whole thing.

On cruises I try to make good choices and not overeat. It's hard when there is so much food and it all looks good, but I try to remember how difficult it is for me to take weight off and that helps me show some restraint.

Others have mentioned water retention on a cruise due to the extra salt, and I think that's true. My feet and ankles start puffing up like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man--not the look I want.

You rock! I am a personal trainer and I wish my clients were all as diligent as you. Since you have water consumption down, make sure you keep your fiber grams in check. Men need at 35 grams per day and women need 25 grams per day. What I do on cruises, is bring a bag of Fiber One cereal with me. I order a plain yogurt through room service the night before and then eat about half a cup of Fiber One cereal with the yogurt with a packet of Splenda. Add some cut up fruit with that, and you are good to go!

Fiber will help you feel full and keep things going, so to speak.

Holidays are not everyday, they are once in a while. It's what you do everyday that make a difference. Keep that in mind when you get back on your program the next day.

How are you doing with exercise?

That's a good idea about the Fiber One cereal. On cruises I always have a small bowl of fruit with my breakfast. I skip the pastries and doughnuts but sometimes have a small Danish on the last day. I like to walk the decks on sea days.

I need to add more exercise to my daily routine. I belong to a gym but don't go as often as I should. I used to ice skate several times a week but was having trouble with my hip and knee and had to quit. I'd like to get back into it now that I've lost weight, and I hope my skates still fit.

Two more weeks to my cruise!

Get the Fiber One Original, not any of the Honey Cluster stuff.

I took my DH and DDs ice skating a couple days ago and we had a lot of fun but it is a little scary for me. My legs started shaking after a bit, trying to not fall down.

Keep up the great work with your diet and exercise. Have a wonderful cruise!!

Thanks! I've been cleaning out my closet and donating all my too large clothes. I started replacing things after seeing somebody at a store and thinking "Look at that person in the too-big clown clothes" and then realizing it was my reflection in a mirror. :eek:

I lost two pounds on 7 night Alaska cruise last May. I did not eat any potatoes at meals. I love Piña Coladas, but they seemed out of place on very cool Alaska cruise so I did not have one. We cruise this next week to SA. Oh, oh, Piña Coladas here I come.