where to stay

to Shoreguy or anyone else who can help: we will spend one night in the NY area before returning to NM after our Jewel cruise and need your help: we have Hilton points so of course are looking at staying at a Hilton brand hotel: We have been to NY before and have done the touristy things like the Empire State building, the Rainbow room, etc. I really want to see Ellis Island and visit the Soho area: we have found 3 hotels that we can use: which one? Edgewater in NJ, only about 4 miles from civic center they claim: Staton Island about 14 miles from civic center or we can stay at the Hilton downtown: of course tha last would take more points. We could also choose the JFK airport Hilton as we will be flying out of JFK the next day I think. Need ideas and I depend on all of you. NMMNita

I believe you are right by the Ferry in Edgewater. The Staten Island one may be the most difficult but you could take the Staten Island Ferry accross and get the Ferry to Ellis Island and the Museum there. The Downtown Hilton is obviously the closest... I would personally think the Edgewater one might be the Easiest. Kennedy is a ways away. Getting to Kennedy from either NJ or Staten Island will be expensive- although actually Kennedy accross the V-N Bridge is fairly close...but lots of Traffic. Best way to get back to Kennedy from NJ would be to take the Ferry accross and then get a cab...

Sid

Those mileage distances are deceiving! As I NY'er I can tell you that NJ and Staten Island are FAR, you'll need a car or expensive taxi, and most likely will be sitting in traffic a lot. The downtown Hilton sounds nice (what's the address?) but I guess it depends on how many points you need. The JFK option is another good alternative; they now have a tram from the airport to the subway & then it's just minutes to Manhattan. But what to do with the luggage when you get off the ship? Do you go all the way to JFK to drop it off & then head back to the city? Also, maybe you don't feel comfortable with the subway... If I were you, I'd go for the NYC one...JMHO ;)

thanks for the help. As for going out of Kennedy I don't know why I said that, we fly space available and can fly out of any of the 3 airports. We have plenty of points to do the Hilton but we are using so many for this trip I just hate to wipe everything out when we are talking about only 1 night. Heck the subway doesn't bother me, but trying to take it with our luggage from a 2 week vacation isn't the kind of fun I was looking for. If we do the Edgewater what airport would be best? The Hilton is at 5510 Broadway I think. I don't have address up right now.

NMNita

Iknow the address is wrong: I can't believe I retired from Hilton Reservation Service and still don't know where the NY HIlton is: well I know it's in mid Manhattan, just couldn't remember the address: I guess we will stay at the Edgewater. Remember we will only have about 24 hours in NY. If we get transportation to the Edgewater, drop off our luggage and head back to NY City, will be have time to visit the Soho area, the seaport, get a glimps of Ellis Island and find a good Pastrami sandwhich or would we be better off just to stay in mid Manhattan? Thanks for all your help you New Yorkers.

NMNita

ps don't ask me why I want to go to the Soho district cause I don't have a clue.

Mid Manhatten will be faster and easier to get around. SoHo is funky with interesting resturants---not that you will need them after the Dawn. I would get into the hotel and go down to ellis island as soon as possible...you can do the other stuff later. The shops is Soho along broadway will begin to close around 6 on Sunday night but some are open later....(So ho means South of Houston- pronounce House(like your house) ton not You-ston) Good pastrimi Katz's deli on Houston street I think---(it's the place will Sally met Harry---I'll have what she is having)- see movie :)

Mid Manhatten will be faster and easier to get around. SoHo is funky with interesting resturants---not that you will need them after the Dawn. I would get into the hotel and go down to ellis island as soon as possible...you can do the other stuff later. The shops is Soho along broadway will begin to close around 6 on Sunday night but some are open later....(So ho means South of Houston- pronounce House(like your house) ton not You-ston) Good pastrimi Katz's deli on Houston street I think---(it's the place will Sally met Harry---I'll have what she is having)- see movie :)
Thanks for the update: I think we will stay at the Hilton, either at Time Square or Hilton on the Ave of Americas. Ellis Island is a must for me, DH just follows my instuctions, after 47 years he doesn't know what else to do. I think we will do just as you suggested. Saw the movie, all I remember is we loved it. Thanks again. NMNita

ps we actually arrive on Wednesday cause we will be sailing the Jewel from Dover.

Well, we contemplated all our choices and settled on the Hampton Inn, on West 24th street; we decided on that, are you ready Sid? it was the closest to the Deli. Sometimes I think I am more known for my love of life than my intelligence. We all know I can't spell and I don't always make good sense.

NMnita

Archived