Anyone every had this problem?

Just got back from Mariner 7/10/05. When we checked in at the pier on July 3 we signed the authorization form for my husband, self and 14 year old son to have charge privledges on seapass card. We did not include our 9 year old daughter. The man at the pier asked for clarification if we were sure we didn't want our daughter to have privledges. We said no, unless we could put a limit on her card. He said it was either charge or not, so we opted for NOT.

Needless to say the card was activated, and it wasn't until the 5th day when the compass recommended checking your account in preparation for departure on day 8 that we figured this out. At that point our lovely daughter had run up a $600+ bill in the arcade, surf station, pool bar and gift shop. We were and still are furious.

I am currently working with guest services to find out what we can do about this bill, since I didn't authorize it. Please be aware this can happen and learn from my mistake double check your childrens cards and check your seapass account daily.

I'm amazed, frankly. I have a 9 yo daughter too, and she has been on 5-6 cruises. It would never even occur to her to go to the pool bar or anyplace else, for that matter, and charge something. For a number of reasons: A) she is never out of my sight, or she is in AO. Do they allow the kids in AO to purchase stuff?? B) I hold all the Seapass cards (she doesn't need one - ever. She is 9 and is not allowed to roam the ship on her own, therefore does not need access to the room on her own). C) She asks me or DH for whatever she needs (and may or may not get the item).

I'm not trying to be a "parenting snob" here, but I would not allow my child in the local shopping mall with my Mastercard, nor will I allow her on the ship. It is, after all, a floating city, if you will.

I'm sorry this happened, but I can't see how RCI is even remotely responsible.

$600 in just 5 days....wow....how on earth would a 9yr old do that....you mentioned she bought things in the gift shop etc...did you not notice these gifts and wonder where or how she got them?...there must have been a heck of a lot of receipts somewhere!

Liz

I was on a cruise with a friend a couple of years ago, same thing, she said no, they gave her privileges anyway. She noticed it early though and put a stop to it. I think they automatically activiate for children and more to the point, forget check in, once you are on the boat, then you need to go down and have it deactivated. We also just got back from the Mariner, and the same friend, having learned her lesson this time, went down to the service desk on the first day after we had already checked in, sure enough it was activated, and this time she actually opened a cash account for that seapass card so it was seperate from her cc and her daughter could not go over the limit.

.... but I can't see how RCI is even remotely responsible.
OP stated that they told RCI not to authorize charges.

I don't really remember if we get a copy of the SeaPass authorization or not (DW takes care of all paperwork while I schlep the luggage). If you have a copy, you may have some relief available. If not, IMHO its your word against theirs and it will depend on how much good will they want to extend.

Good advice for all to check their charges often ;)

Charlie

Did you try to return whatever she bought in the gift shop?

If my kid did this (because I'm assuming your daughter had been told she wouldn't have spending priviledges) he would have been in big trouble. I see your point in being mad at RCI, but your daughter really took advantage of you. I can understand that she "tried" the card to see if it would work. And when it did, she really went to town. My son would have been in severe fear of what my reaction would have been when I found out what he had done.

So whether or not RCI reverses the charge, you have a bigger issue with your daughter.

OP stated that they told RCI not to authorize charges.

I don't really remember if we get a copy of the SeaPass authorization or not (DW takes care of all paperwork while I schlep the luggage). If you have a copy, you may have some relief available. If not, IMHO its your word against theirs and it will depend on how much good will they want to extend.

Good advice for all to check their charges often ;)

Charlie

I should have been more specific - if its a verbal exchange between you and the port agent at checkin, you don't have much to go on....if there was a signed document specifically NOT authorizing her to spend, I would imagine you would get a full refund, right? Either way, my issue would be with my daughter first and foremost.

Most of the charges came from the surf station. This seems to be internet accesible computers in the childrens AO program. On MOS they have a wall of computers in the back corner of the 9-11 AO room. Some of the computers have games only but some of them have internet access. They have a place at the top of the keyboard for you to swipe your card and it is clearly marked you will be charged per minute. I don't really think the kids would read this though. It seems they charge .25/minute. There are many, many .25, .50, 1.00, and one for $235. She must have just enjoyed swiping her card and left the internet on one time for an extended period. When I found out what had happened and went to investigate the "surf station" the attendant didn't even know how to operate the online computers to show us how she would have used it.

As far as the gift shop, I never saw any receipts or merchandise. It seems she and a friend were buying candy. This was a small amount of the charges.

The other bulk of the charges are in the arcade: $40, 40, 10, 40 etc. Since the kids have to walk through the arcade to get to the kids program she was tempted to play. I guess.

We did allow our daughter to sign herself in and out of the kids program. She is usually a responsible child. She was in the room when I would tell her to be and checked in with notes throughout the day. She always knew where we would be and enjoyed her freedom she doesn't ordinarily have.

We did get a copy of the authorization form from the ship and wished they had followed our instructions. Anyway this has been an expensive learning experience.

I would challenge the $235 surf station if nothing else. Sounds like she forgot to sign off, or that's alot of time on computer!

Also, just curious, what was your daughter's reaction when you confronted her with this issue. My son would have had this awful pale guilty look come over him.

Most of the charges came from the surf station. This seems to be internet accesible computers in the childrens AO program. On MOS they have a wall of computers in the back corner of the 9-11 AO room. Some of the computers have games only but some of them have internet access. They have a place at the top of the keyboard for you to swipe your card and it is clearly marked you will be charged per minute. I don't really think the kids would read this though. It seems they charge .25/minute. There are many, many .25, .50, 1.00, and one for $235. She must have just enjoyed swiping her card and left the internet on one time for an extended period. When I found out what had happened and went to investigate the "surf station" the attendant didn't even know how to operate the online computers to show us how she would have used it.

This "surf station" is absolutely crazy on a number of levels-why would they allow this in AO??? Either they didn't have it on the Vision, or I was unaware. First, looks like a pathetic scam by RCI to get more $$ - I'm pretty sure they are aware they are dealing with immature children swiping their cards for internet access. That's downright shameful on their part. Second, once they get on the 'net, who is watching them? Do they limit the sites they can access (hopefully!!) If not, then its REALLY disgusting. The internet is such a dangerous tool for children and teens when not monitored. You would have to live under a rock to not realize that. I am absolutely disgusted that this happens in AO - surely they can entertain the children in another manner and derive income from another source.

The problem still lies in your child. She could easily take your credit card numbers and order up a storm and you wouldn't find out until you got your bill. How is this any different? RCI may have accidently activated the card, but its the child that did the charges.

My child would be grounded and working off the 600.00 with chores around the house.

And yes, I allowed both of my children to charge on the ship, with a budget. Neither charged more than their 40.00 allotted to them.

I wanted to give her a limit, but was told on the pier that wasn't possible. Since then, I found out on the ship (the night all of this was discovered) that it was possible at the guest relations desk on ship. I hope RCCL is able to back track and find out who checked us in at the pier to evaluate if they are adequately informed with proper policy.

And yes I am extremely upset with my daughter. She will be "paying" for this fiasco (in more ways than one) for a looooooong time to come. This was our first cruise with the kids and I hope not our last.

Probably the only charge you could contest would be the internet charge. She may have signed on and forgot to sign off. 4 hours is a long time for a 9 year old to play on the computer. The other stuff, like video games and candy, she must of known was not free. If it was my kid I would be seriously mad at her :mad:

I must thank you for the heads up, I had no idea they could swipe their cards for internet access and for video games. I assumed that the video games would take change. I can see how it would be easy for a kid to get carried away. :eek:

Wow...What a shocker...Sorry for your experience.

I thought kids had to be 12,or 10 ..to sign themselves out..Mine is only 5 now...

But I don't see letting mine sign themself out until 13.No way I would let my child run a ship at that age...Sorry,not a flame..Just my personal opinion.

I think people still get "fooled" into a false sense of security on these ships.

But to me it is a huge floating city...and I would never let my child run around in a city or resort alone..

Maybe a warning to parents should also be not to let them even have their seapass card.I mean,if they can't charge on it,why would they need it.Their arm band is their ID if they need it,and I would definitley not let my child go to the room by themself...

Again,sorry this happened to you.And don't take my opinion as a insult to what you chose to do...Just some ideas for others in the future.

I just figured out the math on the surf station and she would have had to be on for over 15 hours for the $235 charge. I think you have a case with the ship on that one issue! There's not a chance a 9yo could have been on the computer for over 15 hours without someone taking notice!! Let's face it.....it's a 9yo and the people in charge of her, should have seen her going on the computer!

While I agree with many of the posts about it being yours and her responsibility, in this one case, I think you have a case against the ship.

I'm amazed, frankly. I have a 9 yo daughter too, and she has been on 5-6 cruises. It would never even occur to her to go to the pool bar or anyplace else, for that matter, and charge something. For a number of reasons: A) she is never out of my sight, or she is in AO. Do they allow the kids in AO to purchase stuff?? B) I hold all the Seapass cards (she doesn't need one - ever. She is 9 and is not allowed to roam the ship on her own, therefore does not need access to the room on her own). C) She asks me or DH for whatever she needs (and may or may not get the item).

I'm not trying to be a "parenting snob" here, but I would not allow my child in the local shopping mall with my Mastercard, nor will I allow her on the ship. It is, after all, a floating city, if you will.

I'm sorry this happened, but I can't see how RCI is even remotely responsible.

I agree...

This is not a safe world....Watch your kids..It is not RCI responsibility to watch what your kid is doing 24/7...

$600 worth of candy and sodas...come on.....

WOW, the closest I ever came to anything like this was our kids ordering lunch and snacks out by the pool in Las Vegas when they were in their early teens and even that blew my mind. Not that I didn't want them to eat, it was the idea they did it without asking. As for the $235 charge I think I would certainly question that, but the rest, well, as you said it is an expensive lesson for all and maybe some others will find a way to make certain the kids don't do something like this. There should be a way to control this sort of thing, but as has been said, and I am sure you realize this, it is between your daughter and yourself. I am sure she didn't realize what she was doing, but still she should not have been charging anything without your knowledge. NMNita

I agree with others who said to challenge the $235 internet charge. My assumption is that accessing the internet is, what, $.25 per minute? If that's the case and the total cost was $235.00, then that means she would have been on the internet for over 15 hours (if my math is correct) in one session - highly unlikely! You would think that RCCL would see this and realize it's a mistake, but as others have stated they probably feel charging this outrageous price for internet access is "easy money."

Don't know if this is possible, but can you call your credit card company and ask that they reverse or not accept a certain amount of the charges from RCCL?

Goodluck!

Cheers,

Tracey

600.00 Now that’s a bill!!

I personally think 9 is a little young to have free roam on a ship. In my mind a ship is a small city. I would not allow my nine year old to venture around a city on her own, Land or sea.

Definitely fight the 15hour internet bill. This would bring the damages down to about 375.00 that would equal about 75 hours worth of chores around the house on top of her regular chores. In my house anyway.

On my last two cruises with Royal Caribbean, I also requested that my three children NOT BE ALLOWED to charge anything with their cards. We found out early on that their cards worked just fine. They had asked for permission to order a soda and used their own cards "just to see what whould happen". Once we knew their cards could be used, they were told not to charge anything without getting permission from Mom or Dad FIRST. I believe that Royal Caribbean has some responsibility for giving parents a false sense of security. If parents believe that the children's cards cannot be used to charge anything, then there is nothing for parents to monitor. However, if parents know that the cards are active, then they can make the decision whether or not to trust the child with the card. That nine year old probably had no clue that she was ringing up a huge bill. At that age kids don't really think about what they are doing, especially since she could walk into the buffet and help herself to anything she wanted, what would make her think that the candy was any different. Just show your card and get what you want, right?

By the way, on my last cruise, I had been checking the kids accounts periodically to make sure they were not charging any unauthorized items. Imagine my surprise when one day, several $10 charges appeared on their account. I immediately tracked them down, steam coming out of my ears, only to learn that they had borrowed a couple of games from the library and a $10 hold is placed on your account until they are returned.

Debbie

Some how I missed cruisemom39's post...

Mine must seem pretty dumb huh...? :rolleyes:

Anyway...again..sorry this happened to you..

( I hate that darned arcade anyway..too expensive)

Did she at least buy you a cool gift from the gift shop:D :cool:

Archived