Celebrity Excursion to Virgin Gorda & The Baths - From St Thomas

LEtue

Did a search and could only find a few very old threads about this excursion and no one came back to post about their experience.

Has anyone done this trip recently? Probably a long boat ride but it may be worth it? Thanks in advance!

Not from the cruise ship, but I read a few posts from cruisers who did, and yes, the constant complaint was the long boat ride compared to the amount of time you spend at the baths. It was also a long day with no snacks available. The baths can also get crowded depending on how many ships pull up.

There are daytrips from STT to the Baths with a stop at JVD or Norman but they leave at 7:30 and return at 5 I believe. Smaller charters run there too but it's pricey. Unfortunately the only good option for a cruise stop is to dock in Road Town, Tortola.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the Baths from a stop at Tortola, not St Thomas, and we loved it!

The stairs / path down to the Baths are very steep and I was surprised to see people with mobility issues attempting the walk down (steep and dangerous) and up (a bit tiring if you are not in shape).

But as long as you are in good health, it is a fabulous site and well worth the effort. So cool to climb and meander through the natural openings to the beach on the other side and watch the waves crashing in!

Only worth going if the weather is cooperating.

We did not go to the restaurant at the top, but instead went to the little cafe just off to the side. Had a simple, but delicious sandwich for lunch on the porch with a long-distance view of the sea. Very restful and memorable - found myself thinking that I could easily see myself staying on Virgin Gorda for a week...

Edited by cdndizzylizzy

We went to the Baths from a stop at Tortola, not St Thomas, and we loved it!

The stairs / path down to the Baths are very steep and I was surprised to see people with mobility issues attempting the walk down (steep and dangerous) and up (a bit tiring if you are not in shape).

But as long as you are in good health, it is a fabulous site and well worth the effort. So cool to climb and meander through the natural openings to the beach on the other side and watch the waves crashing in!

Only worth going if the weather is cooperating.

We did not go to the restaurant at the top, but instead went to the little cafe just off to the side. Had a simple, but delicious sandwich for lunch on the porch with a long-distance view of the sea. Very restful and memorable - found myself thinking that I could easily see myself staying on Virgin Gorda for a week...

Sounds like you ate at Mad Dog's, recently heard they had closed and haven't hard anymore, hope it reopens. We don't consider the path from the Top of the Baths to the water to be dangerous, just a natural path with some minor challenges unless someone has problems navigating uneven paths. There are water excursions if soeone is handicapped and wants to see the beauty of the Baths from the boat or be dropped on the beach.

Yes VG is very nice, we enjoy staying on Tortola because there are more dining and entertainment options and visiting the other islands on daytrips.

It is difficult to enjoy VG from STT unless you are staying on a land vacation and can take the 7:30 AM tours that leave from Sapphire (Breakaway) and Red Hook (Stormy Petrel). Or hire a private charter of course, but just a long ride there and back. Much easier from Tortola if you stop there, just a 30 min ferry.

Edited by blue_water

Checked the excursions offered on my sailing and it isn't listed. They may add it later but probably not. I would have loved to get back to The Baths again but this doesn't sound like the best way to go anyway.....