San Juan Documentation requirements for travel

uglybutgoodbakery

Just spent an hour trying to find this info out, and thought, I should have just gone onto CC for answers.

We are US Citizens flying from PA to San Juan and cruising

back-to-back on the Summit, then flying back to PA from San Juan. It is a closed-loop cruise, and we have done this 4 times with the below docs:

1. Driver's License plus 2. a raised-seal Birth Certificate, and 3. Marriage Certificate to show woman's name change.

My question is:

Our son's (23 and 17) are flying from PA to San Juan to meet us for the second leg of the B2B. Previously, we used the same docs for them.

Since they were flying separately from us, we decided to get the 17-year-old a Passport last month, so there was no questions, as he does not drive yet and only had a school ID. The Passport came in 2 weeks, so we have that. But, the birth certificate was mailed back in a weird brown envelope, and I threw it out by accident. :(

Will he be ok with just the passport, SS card, and school ID, and a notarized letter from us saying he can travel with his bro to meet us?

We are all flying home together, but now I'm worried that I don't have his Birth Certificate, and it's too late to get one as we leave next Friday. The purpose of getting the Passport was to avoid using all the docs anyway. UGH.

If he has a passport that is all he really needs. I'm in just the opposite situation - my passport is at the Brazil embassy getting a visa. This cruise came up last minute so I'm using a birth certificate and drivers license and my wife will use her passport (she is not going with me to Brazil :().

You should be fine.

LOVE THIS BOARD!!!! Thank you all!!!!!!!!!:D

I can not believe I threw out the Birth Certificate! I checked the trash but it's gone to the landfill....I just want to make sure that everything is perfect for their travel day...I had to book them on a flight on Friday the 13th as it is :-/

They may be "men" to some, but they're still MY BABIES!!!!!

Edited by pattipoopidoo

We're flying from Utah to San Juan, cruising on Summit, and flying back. We both have passports and are not bringing birth certificates. I've traveled out of the country with just passport before and nothing else - not even a driver's license, much less birth certificate.

When we are at ports, we do not plan to bring our passports onshore, and will leave them in the safe in our cabin. Therefore, we are also bringing driver's license for picture ID needed. I think the ID is needed to re-board the ship? I'm guessing a school ID will work, but I'm not positive. Or he can keep his passport with him.

Have fun!

Since they were flying separately from us, we decided to get the 17-year-old a Passport last month, so there was no questions, as he does not drive yet and only had a school ID. The Passport came in 2 weeks, so we have that. But, the birth certificate was mailed back in a weird brown envelope, and I threw it out by accident. :(

Will he be ok with just the passport, SS card, and school ID, and a notarized letter from us saying he can travel with his bro to meet us?

We are all flying home together, but now I'm worried that I don't have his Birth Certificate, and it's too late to get one as we leave next Friday. The purpose of getting the Passport was to avoid using all the docs anyway. UGH.

The only document he needs to get to San Juan should be the passport. PLEASE ake him leave the SS card at home! There is no need to take your SS card with you, even if no passport! His school ID may be used to get back in the ship as a photo ID, but I'm not certain about that one, he may need his passport since it is the govt issued document and he doesn't have a drivers license.

The airport shouldn't require the notarized letter, but it doesn't hurt. At 16 my son boarded a plane with his passport and didn't require anything to prove he had parent permission, infact TSA told him his passport wasn't needed (he didn't have a DL either) since he was under 18. Totally weirded me out.

The passport really is the one document that fixes everything, from traveling, to getting a DL to proving right to work in the US.

Just spent an hour trying to find this info out, and thought, I should have just gone onto CC for answers.

back-to-back on the Summit, then flying back to PA from San Juan. It is a closed-loop cruise, and we have done this 4 times with the below docs:

1. Driver's License plus 2. a raised-seal Birth Certificate, and 3. Marriage Certificate to show woman's name change.

My question is:

Our son's (23 and 17) are flying from PA to San Juan to meet us for the second leg of the B2B. Previously, we used the same docs for them.

Just needs the passport.

Your sons passport is more than enough. However if you want an id for ports, you could get an id for him at your dmv. I did this for my 10, 8 and 7 year olds for their cruise this summer. They didn't need the passport for ports. But the id was nice when they were with their nanny. If your children are going to be in port by themselves, just check about the school id at your ports.

You don't "need" a passport to travel from mainland U.S. to and from San Juan .. if that were all there was to the trip, you'd never need more than a driver's license.

I would think because you are cruising, you should have documentation such as a passport, but I can't see why sailing a closed-loop from San Juan would be any different from a closed-loop from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

I would say be sure both kids checkin at X together, the 17 year old may not be allowed to check-in without an adult (23 year old) present with him.

The 17 y/o and his 23 y/o brother are meeting the parents in San Juan. I guess the parents will check in with them for the second leg of their B2B.

To the OP, the passport is the only ID your son needs. We never travel with birth certificates. He will be more than OK with the passport and a student ID, don't bring the SS card. Hope this helps.

Edited by drarill

LOVE THIS BOARD!!!! Thank you all!!!!!!!!!:D

I can not believe I threw out the Birth Certificate! I checked the trash but it's gone to the landfill....I just want to make sure that everything is perfect for their travel day...I had to book them on a flight on Friday the 13th as it is :-/

They may be "men" to some, but they're still MY BABIES!!!!!

Of course you'll worry, that's your job(I tell my mother this all the time, I haven't seen 17 as an age in a long time...she STILL worries ;)).

Definitely, your son will be okay with the passport(and please have him leave that Social Security Card home). Some motor vehicle departments issue non driver's license ID for a small fee, and it's always good to have state issued ID as a backup later on, as his school ID will not have much use after he graduates(congrats in advance!). His passport is more than enough ID for flying home together.

For what its worth, I find Friday the 13th to be a great day. Speaking from experience(I was born on a 13th day of the month), it's great. Three birthdays--including my 13th--fell on a Friday,and it's been a blast. That flight might be less hectic because of all the people who avoid flying on Friday the 13th...always thing positive:D. I hope you all have an amazing time and enjoy your cruises!

...PLEASE ake him leave the SS card at home! There is no need to take your SS card with you, even if no passport! ...

This is good advice. There is never a need to carry one's SS card unless you are starting a new job or applying for some government ID or program which requires the SS card. The reason not to carry a SS card is the increased risk of identity theft if a wallet is lost that includes both photo ID like a drivers license or passport along with the SS card.

As others have said:

1) flying out of San Juan is no different than flying out of any other USA port.

2) The passport takes care of all identification and proof of citizenship document needs on its own.

3) I don't know anything about the need for the letters as I do not know the rules for a minor traveling alone. So I can't comment on that.

Edited by Lsimon

My question is:

Anyone traveling with a U. S. Passport does not need anything else for ID. Leave all other ID at home unless you require a drivers license to rent a car.

All he needs is the passport. To cruise you have to have proof of 2 things:

1. Citizenship

2. ID

A passport serves both purposes, so if you have one it's the only document you need.

The reason you need 2 if you do NOT have a passport is that a BC proves citizenship but without a photo, it does not verify your identity. A DL on the other hand, proves your identity, but not citizenship. Hence, the combo of the 2 in the absence of a PP.

To the OP, the passport is the only ID your son needs. We never travel with birth certificates. He will be more than OK with the passport and a student ID, don't bring the SS card. Hope this helps.

He doesn't even need the student ID, the passport alone is fine. In fact, even if the point is to be able to leave the PP in the cabin and use the ID onshore, it might not work as it's not an official, government-issued ID. (I'm sure some people have used school ID's in that case, but I wouldn't count on it working, may depend on the agent.) Have him go to the local DMV for a state issued ID card instead. Here in SC I think it is only $5 to get one (likely similar elsewhere) and it's as official as a driver's license for ID purposes. He absolutely does not need his SS card and would be better of leaving that at home. It will serve no purpose for him on this trip and he risks losing it.